Author Topic: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."  (Read 26502 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
Are you hanging around Julia Duffy's character from Intolerable Cruelty ? Eeesh

Marylin Rexroth: They bought Massey's argument. If I lied or cheated and was with Rex only for his money, then he shouldn't have to give me any.
Sarah Sorkin: Well, that makes no sense. Why else would you put in all those years?

*Cynical me wonders if the party lady has a married boyfriend she hasn't told people about yet. And hopes to pave the way for bringing him into the group with "oh he's in the middle of a divorce. everyone who's anyone gets a divorce after ten years lolz"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:18:31 PM by TeamBhakta »

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:16 PM »
I'd grab DH's arm and say, "thank goodness we're poor!"

Florida

Nora

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »
I'd grab DH's arm and say, "thank goodness we're poor!"

This!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Iris

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 03:51:47 PM »
O.M.G. Dh and I just, like, totally had our 11th wedding anniversary. That 10 year rule is just, like, sooooooooooo five minutes ago. Doesn't she know that commitment is, like, totally in right now.

You totally need to get waaaaaaaaay cooler friends...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Jan74

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »
Luckily this woman is a friend of a friend, not my friend.

bluebirds

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »
I don't know why everyone is being so sarcastic about this woman. She's clearly right. Divorces are the only true way of showing how much money you have these days - how else is the rest of the world going to know how much your spouse (and therefore you, in the settlement) is worth? I personally think that there is a real need to make divorce even more of an expensive luxury item so that only the select few can indulge in public.
If you had real class you would get divorced and tell everyone you know how much you're worth. Quit hating on the woman, she only speaks the truth.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »
I don't know why everyone is being so sarcastic about this woman. She's clearly right. Divorces are the only true way of showing how much money you have these days - how else is the rest of the world going to know how much your spouse (and therefore you, in the settlement) is worth? I personally think that there is a real need to make divorce even more of an expensive luxury item so that only the select few can indulge in public.
If you had real class you would get divorced and tell everyone you know how much you're worth. Quit hating on the woman, she only speaks the truth.

Toatally not getting your tone here. Are you being sarcastic or serious?

Jan74

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
I think she was making a dig on current celebrity culture, and the fact that once people divorce, they get more publicity than before, and their assets all become public record, reposted all over the internet, therefore truly displaying their wealth.

I also wondered if celebrity culture didn't influence this woman's thinking.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
I've been married for 15 years and I'm 36. I'm low-class as well.  ;D

You poor, poor dear! Someone should start a fund for people like you. Maybe we could have a fun run or a bake sale or something, and get some of those raise awareness bracelets. What color isn't taken yet?

::) I am, of course, totally joking.

That comment (in the OP) is so off the wall it's impossible to take seriously.

Actually, she's wrong on her statistics. Statistically, the rich stay married, and reportedly are very happy in their marriages. The lower/middle classes are the ones who are breaking up.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
I think she was making a dig on current celebrity culture, and the fact that once people divorce, they get more publicity than before, and their assets all become public record, reposted all over the internet, therefore truly displaying their wealth.

I also wondered if celebrity culture didn't influence this woman's thinking.

Ah, thanks.

In that case: ;D

ETA: I only did wonder because I know people who think divorces should be very expensive and very rare, so this line kinda threw me:
"I personally think that there is a real need to make divorce even more of an expensive luxury item so that only the select few can indulge in public."

(shoulda been tipped off by the "select" ::)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:49:20 PM by DangerMouth »

bluebirds

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
Oh dear - not at all serious DangerMouth  :)

Partly Jan74 - I guess it's just the idea that it has got to the point where someone might make a comment like that in everyday life as though it was completely acceptable. I do feel that it's beyond celebrity culture - there have been a few cases like this in the UK in the past few years, and with the increasing number of people in the public eye getting caught by it, it seems that we have moved on from 'I want to marry a rich/famous/both person' to 'I want to marry a rich/famous/both person AND let the world know just how much money I'm making out of it'.

Also, where did 10yrs come from?

Jan74

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 06:48:37 PM »

Partly Jan74 - I guess it's just the idea that it has got to the point where someone might make a comment like that in everyday life as though it was completely acceptable. I do feel that it's beyond celebrity culture - there have been a few cases like this in the UK in the past few years, and with the increasing number of people in the public eye getting caught by it, it seems that we have moved on from 'I want to marry a rich/famous/both person' to 'I want to marry a rich/famous/both person AND let the world know just how much money I'm making out of it'.

I think it's a figure of "long enough to have kids and get past the small kid stage, therefore no longer having to tolerate the spouse you stopped loving years ago".

bluebirds

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »

I think it's a figure of "long enough to have kids and get past the small kid stage, therefore no longer having to tolerate the spouse you stopped loving years ago".

That's a really sad way of thinking. I feel sorry for that woman now.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »

That is kinda a weird figure.

I know lots of marriages that didn't make it past 1,2, or 3 years. After that they tend to hold on until 15 years or so. Which is the point where kids are becoming teens and you can fool yourself into thinking they'll be just fine with all this.

I don't think I've seen all that many 7 year itch break-ups, or even 10 year itch.

Jan74

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »

That is kinda a weird figure.

I know lots of marriages that didn't make it past 1,2, or 3 years. After that they tend to hold on until 15 years or so. Which is the point where kids are becoming teens and you can fool yourself into thinking they'll be just fine with all this.

I don't think I've seen all that many 7 year itch break-ups, or even 10 year itch.

Pod. I've seen 2 months later divorces, and 50 years later divorces.

But I think any less than 10 years is ok as far as she is concerned.