Author Topic: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."  (Read 25711 times)

Shiraz_Much?

• formerly celtic1973
  • Good wine is a necessity of life for me -Jefferson
Re: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
Wow...my DH and I are in real trouble then.  We've been married over 12 years...but we've actually been together for 20 years!!!  :o  We must be living on a park bench somewhere. lol

I actually kind of feel sorry for her too...what a sad way to live your life.

New York
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness - Disturbed

Wine is sunlight, held together by water! - Galileo Gallilei

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »
I saw an interview with one cheerful social commentator who felt the maximum time a relationship lasts, naturally, is two years.

I'm thinking she's the sort of person who upgrades her cellphone as soon as possible, even if the old oen works fine for her.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Huh.  And here I thought my Dad and Stepmom were still married because they are perfect for each other.  It turns out they're just low class.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Nora

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2010, 03:30:39 AM »
I saw an interview with one cheerful social commentator who felt the maximum time a relationship lasts, naturally, is two years.

I'm thinking she's the sort of person who upgrades her cellphone as soon as possible, even if the old oen works fine for her.

I'm a horrible cellphone-upgrader. Married 7 years in february though. :P
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »
Well, I have known a couple or two IRL who wanted to get a divorce but didn't because they couldn't afford it.    But that doesn't make this woman right.  At all.

She is one freeze-dried whackaloon.   So DH and I are coming up on 11 years and we're still married, does that mean we're low-class?  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2010, 04:03:24 PM »
So this couple in their 90s goes to an attorney and says <old person voice> "We'd like to get a divorce, please",</voice>

The attorney asks them a few questions, then says, "Well, this is simple enough. I'd be happy to handle it for you. If you don't mind my asking, though, why divorce now? You've been together for 70 years and you don't have much time left."

The wife says <voice> "We wanted to wait until the children were dead." </voice>
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Nora

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
So this couple in their 90s goes to an attorney and says <old person voice> "We'd like to get a divorce, please",</voice>

The attorney asks them a few questions, then says, "Well, this is simple enough. I'd be happy to handle it for you. If you don't mind my asking, though, why divorce now? You've been together for 70 years and you don't have much time left."

The wife says <voice> "We wanted to wait until the children were dead." </voice>

***Claps***
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2010, 04:07:06 PM »
Well, I have known a couple or two IRL who wanted to get a divorce but didn't because they couldn't afford it.    But that doesn't make this woman right.  At all.

She is one freeze-dried whackaloon.   So DH and I are coming up on 11 years and we're still married, does that mean we're low-class?  ::)

You're just now coming up on 11 years, right?  So that means you still have a couple of months to live high on the hog before you'll have to appear on the Jerry Springer show, don't worry.  I still have seven years left of the glamorous life, myself.  

"Freeze-dried whackaloon"...I am so totally going to steal this!   ;D
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Jan74

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
Joke was excellent!

For real though, I often wonder about people who wait like, 50 years then divorce. At that point I might find it easier to just remain "undivorced" like that article suggested. Sounds like too much aggravation for a 70-year-old to handle.

I think it might be ok to stay married as long as you've had plenty of drama though, with cheating and separations and all. You just can't be faithful for more than 10 years. That is super low class.  ::)

magicdomino

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2010, 04:14:27 PM »
So if being married for more than 10 years is low class, does marrying several times make you high class if none of the marriages lasts more than a year?

Ms_Shell

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2010, 04:16:12 PM »
So if being married for more than 10 years is low class, does marrying several times make you high class if none of the marriages lasts more than a year?

No. It makes you Britney Spears.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Jan74

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
And if you remarry the same person, it makes you super extra classy.

You know, like Liz Taylor.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »

You're just now coming up on 11 years, right?  So that means you still have a couple of months to live high on the hog before you'll have to appear on the Jerry Springer show, don't worry.  I still have seven years left of the glamorous life, myself.  

"Freeze-dried whackaloon"...I am so totally going to steal this!   ;D

Our anniversary is in March so yes, we have 3 months before we get our White Trash Card.   I can't remember where I heard the term "Freeze dried whackaloon, but I love it. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

immadz

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2010, 12:21:39 AM »
I think she was being facetious!

Jan74

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2010, 06:03:04 AM »
I think she was being facetious!

Her deadpan is too deadpan then, and was not followed by anything to indicate that. She has said other classist things in the past as well.