Author Topic: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."  (Read 25315 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »
<sarcastic sigh> I guess I'll have to tell DH that we are low-class rednecks. We've been married 32 years.

Did that woman say anything about people whose vehicles are at least 10 years old?

Jan74

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
<sarcastic sigh> I guess I'll have to tell DH that we are low-class rednecks. We've been married 32 years.

Did that woman say anything about people whose vehicles are at least 10 years old?

No, and I don't even have any idea what she drives as the party was at an apartment, not a house. But I'm curious now as well.

seeley

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
Woo-hoo! I guess we're on our way to the poorhouse!

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
It would have required biting my tongue to keep from saying "That is one of those words that I think people don't use if they actually have it."

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
I am going to make a guess that the 10 years is because I think that is how long you have to be married to be entitled to Social Security/pension benefits - even if you divorce.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
I'd be tempted to say "There's a HUGE difference between being poor and being low class.   Class has nothing to do with the amount of money someone has..."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jan74

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »
I am going to make a guess that the 10 years is because I think that is how long you have to be married to be entitled to Social Security/pension benefits - even if you divorce.

Our local law says that even cohabiting for 6 months in absence of a prenup gives you half of everything that person has - pensions included. That is why I guess she was coming up with a figure of "right amount of time to produce 2.3 children".

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
Uh . . . well, what is four steps lower than "low class"? 

We've been married for 43 years. 

I guess you'll be seeing us soon at a dumpster near you.   :D

Jan74

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »
"4 steps lower than low class" is "the people on Cops".

It goes:

Low-class
People on reality tv
People on Maury
People on Springer
People on Cops

I believe that's the official standard.  ;D

LilyRose

• City Girl In Cowboy Boots
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
I wonder what that would make my late grandparents (dad's parents), they were married just shy of 62 years. Their anniversary was Feb 14 and they both passed in Jan 2008 (12 days apart)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »
"4 steps lower than low class" is "the people on Cops".

It goes:

Low-class
People on reality tv
People on Maury
People on Springer
People on Cops

I believe that's the official standard.  ;D

;D

rockchalk

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2010, 10:16:02 PM »
I'd be tempted to say "There's a HUGE difference between being poor and being low class.   Class has nothing to do with the amount of money someone has..."

HUUUUUGE POD. Prime example, of course, being the "lady" in the OP's example... ::)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2010, 10:34:55 PM »
I'd be tempted to say "There's a HUGE difference between being poor and being low class.   Class has nothing to do with the amount of money someone has..."

HUUUUUGE POD. Prime example, of course, being the "lady" in the OP's example... ::)

I've known people IRL who have VERY classist ideas.   My mother was one of them, which always made me roll my eyes because my grandparents were NOT rich people, rather they were good, down to earth middle class folks.   Same with my other grandparents.   My uncle said at my grandmas funeral that when they would ask her if they were rich or poor she'd say "We're rich because we have each other" and I remember they both treated everyone equally. 

But I always knew that my mom did NOT approve of DH and why?  He's from a middle class family.   MIL says she remembers when my mother first saw their current house maybe a year after they moved in.   IL's live in a 2br, 2bath Cape Cod.  It is not a big house, but then it's just the two of them and that's just what they wanted, was a small house with one guest room and a basement for their dogs to stay in, and they loved this one.   My mom came in and really looked down her nose at just how small this house was.   And WHY would ANYONE live in a small house if they could afford a bigger one? They MUST be poor!! Oooh I wish I'd known the "That's an interesting assumption" line then!

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2010, 11:40:09 PM »
Huh? ??? I haven't read the whole thread, but I agree with what PeasNCues said. It doesn't make any sense. What planet is she from? So then if you have lots of money you should get divorced? There's no logic to it at all. I guess she's never heard of something called commitment then. I have to wonder sometimes if people actually listen to themselves. That's just weird. And stupid.

Ed.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2010, 05:01:51 AM »

I'm confused. I've been married only 8 years.
What does that make me?
Stewart/Colbert '16