Author Topic: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."  (Read 26361 times)

Jan74

Re: "Only low-class people stay married more than 10 years these days..."
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2010, 06:39:40 AM »

I'm confused. I've been married only 8 years.
What does that make me?

Classy, provided you get divorced in the next 2 years. If not... low-class.  ::)

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »
I was thinking some more about this. I've decided if someone said that to me I'd ask them what they meant and why they thought that just to see what kind of rationalization they'd come up with. And when they were done explaining themselves I'd do my best Spock impression and say That's fascinating and walk away from them.

Ed.

Jan74

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
I was thinking some more about this. I've decided if someone said that to me I'd ask them what they meant and why they thought that just to see what kind of rationalization they'd come up with. And when they were done explaining themselves I'd do my best Spock impression and say That's fascinating and walk away from them.

Ed.

This is an excellent solution. I hope I remember it if I'm ever confronted with such a nutcase again.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »
Thanks. I'm sure I'd have to walk away from them to keep from laughing in their face about the explanation they just gave me. I'd love to hear this woman's rationalization!

Ed.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
"... because they can't afford to get divorced."  :o

Said to me by a single woman, at a party where 3 married couples, including the hosts, were present, as well as a few assorted people. Within earshot of an 8-year-old, whose parents are, of course, married.

I couldn't even think of anything to say.

Very rude and bizarre; I hope it was said tongue-in-cheek. And perhaps in response to a tirade of "why don't you get married? Find someone!! People who don't have children are selfish!!"

Jan74

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »
"... because they can't afford to get divorced."  :o

Said to me by a single woman, at a party where 3 married couples, including the hosts, were present, as well as a few assorted people. Within earshot of an 8-year-old, whose parents are, of course, married.

I couldn't even think of anything to say.

Very rude and bizarre; I hope it was said tongue-in-cheek. And perhaps in response to a tirade of "why don't you get married? Find someone!! People who don't have children are selfish!!"

Only if the tirade happened before the party, because nobody was bullying her there to get married. It wasn't tongue in cheek either. People were not even talking about marriage itself before she said that, they had talked about someone finishing grad school though, so the segue I guess was "major life events".

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
I'm confused. I've been married only 8 years.
What does that make me?

There is still hope for you, I guess.

DH and I decided we love being low class (44 years), and the children haven't dug themselves out of the hole, either (19 years and 15 years). And our friends! Our families! Oh, my!

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
What would be said about the couple the just celebrated their 77th anniversary?

http://www.mlive.com/multimedia/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/12/jack_and_ella_essenburg_celebr.html

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2010, 06:53:27 AM »
This is truly strange. I come from a long line of low class people then.

Luckily I've only been married four years. We can have another great five and half years and then of course to maintain our social status we must divorce. It's a bit of a shame as so far we are very much in love, but hey, it's the apperances that count..
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Nora

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »
What would be said about the couple the just celebrated their 77th anniversary?

http://www.mlive.com/multimedia/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/12/jack_and_ella_essenburg_celebr.html

They're incredibly trashy.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2011, 07:06:24 AM »
Now I'm kind of cracking up picturing the woman with a look of deeeeeep disdain on her face, telling Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip(married for over 60 years or so) : something like "you trashy people, you! You low-class people!" >:D >:D >:D
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Jan74

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »
Now I'm kind of cracking up picturing the woman with a look of deeeeeep disdain on her face, telling Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip(married for over 60 years or so) : something like "you trashy people, you! You low-class people!" >:D >:D >:D

I think they'd get an exception on the divorce cause they are royals. But she'd expect them to hate one another's guts, and avoid one another as much as possible - after all, how can you stand anyone after 10 years?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »

Married 60+ years and keeps cereal in Tupperware on the breakfast table. That's one step away from standing outside describing to reporters how the tornado sounded

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »

Married 60+ years and keeps cereal in Tupperware on the breakfast table. That's one step away from standing outside describing to reporters how the tornado sounded

And describing what the UFO looked like. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »

And describing what the UFO looked like. :)

"Wal, dagnabbit, Ah wuz just finishin' up mah beer, and Elsie there wuz scrubbin' the gravy stains offn' the crown, when that dang alien done made off with it!! How the hay-el are we goin' to explain this'un to the peasants? They'z already ticked about that thayre Camilla droppin' the scepter down the john!"
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.