Author Topic: Fantastic advice about being a "good" wife from back in the day  (Read 5564 times)

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
Fantastic advice about being a "good" wife from back in the day
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »
Oh my lord. I about died while reading this. It must have been exhausting being a wife back in the day what w/all that was expected.

(FYI. Discusses "relations" between husband and wife. Although in general terms.)

http://imgur.com/lNVEc.jpg

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
Re: Fantastic advice about being a "good" wife from back in the day
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »
My initial guess is that it's a hoax, rather like the clip claiming to be from either a home-ec textbook or ladies magazine dictating how to be the Perfect Wife.

That said, I can see where a face full of night cream topped with curlers might be a bit of a shock to a new husband whose never seen his new wife looking less than put-together.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »
Considering what women had to put up with during that time frame, I am not all surprised that this would be taught.

And by the way, Thank you Feminism, you have made our lives so much better.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:21 PM »
My initial guess is that it's a hoax, rather like the clip claiming to be from either a home-ec textbook or ladies magazine dictating how to be the Perfect Wife.

That said, I can see where a face full of night cream topped with curlers might be a bit of a shock to a new husband whose never seen his new wife looking less than put-together.

I think you're right on both counts. I know a guy who even recently was convinced his bride-to-be didn't fart or do #2.

I lost touch with him but i still wonder every so often how they fared.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
I think the date is wrong or it is a hoax. I was born in 1945, married in 1966 and never heard anything like this. Even my farmwife grandmothers never dressed like the picture either. Well, I was in the US, but still, we always thought that in the UK things were even a little bit more free and looking forward than we were.

I am pre-feminism, but I know my mother and women like her set the stage for it. And I lived it with no big deal.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
I think it's a hoax. I find it difficult to believe that a 1960s school textbook would include the instruction that "a man's satisfaction is more important than a woman's."

These are the types of things that we imagine other women might have said to each other (or possibly grandma advising granddaughter), but it's highly implausible that tips for being sexually submissive were actually taught in school.

deadbody

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »
Forwarded this to my wife as a helpful advice.  She laughed and then told me that I am still cooking dinner when I get home as she has someplace to go.  Guess it didn't work :)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »
Back in the late 1990s, I read a teen magazine saying you shouldn't eat in front of a boy you like. They didn't say specifically why, but I think we can all make our inferences.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 05:27:24 PM »
I don't think this is real.  For one, I agree with Cathy that I very much doubt anything like this was ever stated in such an official capacity, especially not in print.  Some older female relative may have shared sentiments similar to these with a young woman upon her marriage, but I wouldn't expect anyone to be told anything even close to this explicit in any other context.

For another, the woman in the picture looks as though she is wearing clothing from, at the latest, the 1930s.  Maybe the 1940s.  Even for someone living in a very rural area, people wouldn't have dressed like that in the 1960s.  On top of that, the quality of the picture really is not very good, and by the 1960s (or even the 1950s), the quality of black and white photography was far better than that.

The other thing that strikes me is that the text is just superimposed on a picture of crumpled paper.  You can do that in Photoshop, and whoever did this one didn't even do a very good job.

Finally, this is not an "extract" -- it's an excerpt.  And if it were legitimate, the title and the author of the book it was from would be listed somewhere on the internet.  Google the first sentence in that, and what you get is a bunch of hits to blogs and message boards all posting the same thing...without naming any sort of source beyond "a home economics textbook" or "a sex education textbook"

Bright

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
http://heresydungeon.blogspot.com/2010/02/good-advice.html - is an article about this possibly being a hoax.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »

It's still pretty funny, i think. I've seen other "exceprts" like this and they always make me laugh.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »
I'm not getting any hits on Snopes when I put in the first sentence of the intro. I still think it's a hoax.

Thanks, Bright.

Bright

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »
Yep, it is funny. :)

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
Darnnit! I guess I should fact check before I post things. I think I got caught up in the funniness of it, and I lost my senses. Although I did think the photo seemed a bit old.

Oh well. It made me laugh!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
If it were true, it wouldn't be nearly as funny as if it's made up, though!  (At least for me -- I'd be caught up in the more feminist ways of looking at it to find it funny...)