Author Topic: Fantastic advice about being a "good" wife from back in the day  (Read 5409 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Fantastic advice about being a "good" wife from back in the day
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »
Even reading the little bit of it that I did, I truly believe it's a hoax.

A woman is supposed to wait until her husband is asleep before she puts curlers in her hair.  That also means she has to get up before he does and arrange her coiffure while Hubby is still out like a light.  I don't think that's going to happen.

I do remember actually reading a woman's magazine from the 1950s that talked about making bread.  The dough could be left to rise on that day of the week when 'you scrub the baseboards'.

Er, hum.  Who scrubs baseboards every week? 

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »
I don't know, Thipu. Even in my full-time SAHM days when I cleaned every day (cleaned, not just tidied), the baseboards still didn't need doing every week.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »
Back in the day I would have stayed single if I were truly expected to live like that.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 07:53:44 AM »
I do remember some advice to new wives from the 1950's that wasn't explicit, but had a lot of hints like "don't bother him with small stuff when he gets home; give him his paper and slippers and wait on him", or "change your dress and hair ribbon before he gets home, and clean up the kids" (I paraphrase).  It was the same kind of thing-HE is more important than YOU, so just be obedient and be quiet.

gui

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 10:11:49 AM »
"Should your husband suggest any of the more unusual practices be obedient and uncomplaining but register any reluctance blablabla.." It's really funny how it assumes a woman would automatically not enjoy "unusual practices"; wonder if the textbook authors would have suggested that a man do the same should his wife ask for  "unusual practices"  >:D >:D >:D >:D
(sick minded kitten me...)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

audrey1962

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
I have studied fashion history and I assure you that the photo is NOT from the 1960s.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 10:53:26 AM »
Darnnit! I guess I should fact check before I post things. I think I got caught up in the funniness of it, and I lost my senses. Although I did think the photo seemed a bit old.

Oh well. It made me laugh!

Actually, they couldn't confirm whether it was a hoax or not, she was just discussing the possibility that it might be.

And even though that photo was definitely not from 1960, looks like 1910 to me. There were many people who did feel this way. Tammy Faye Baker never let her husband see her without makeup, she'd go to bed later and wake up earlier. While the sex thing was a bit too explicit to seem real, the rest fell in line with the "Good Wife" directions and attitudes I've seen other places.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »
"Should your husband suggest any of the more unusual practices be obedient and uncomplaining but register any reluctance blablabla.." It's really funny how it assumes a woman would automatically not enjoy "unusual practices"; wonder if the textbook authors would have suggested that a man do the same should his wife ask for  "unusual practices"  >:D >:D >:D >:D
(sick minded kitten me...)

That I think is a legitimate pre-1960's attitude.  There was a very strong concept (among men and women) that there were certain things one didn't ask from a lady.  A gentleman either suppressed those urges or sought out a trained professional.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Ms_Shell

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 11:39:12 AM »
Back in the day I would have stayed single if I were truly expected to live like that.

Depending on the era, you might have had to live with your parents or another female relative for life, though, because single ladies didn't live alone.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Germane Jackson

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »
Hoax or not, I am pretty thankful to be a woman in this day and age. My mother told me that when she was a kid, my grandmother used to get all dolled up and walk down to my grandfather's job every day and bring him lunch. She would put her lipstick on, do her hair and put on a snazzy pair of high heels and a lovely dress and walk down to his work. I'm sure by lunch time my grandmother was pretty konked out from all the housework, childcare, and cooking she did, but it didn't matter how she felt, my grandfather liked her to hand deliver lunch looking like a model.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 12:18:48 PM »
My mother married in 1959 in rural western Minnesota and definitely did not have to live as described. She did drop out of college to put my dad through his last 2 years. They used to play pool and ping pong at the student union for evening entertainment.

exitzero

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »

Depending on the era, you might have had to live with your parents or another female relative for life, though, because single ladies didn't live alone.

Or become a nun.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »
Hoax or not, I am pretty thankful to be a woman in this day and age. My mother told me that when she was a kid, my grandmother used to get all dolled up and walk down to my grandfather's job every day and bring him lunch. She would put her lipstick on, do her hair and put on a snazzy pair of high heels and a lovely dress and walk down to his work. I'm sure by lunch time my grandmother was pretty konked out from all the housework, childcare, and cooking she did, but it didn't matter how she felt, my grandfather liked her to hand deliver lunch looking like a model.

i know someone who does this for her husband daily.

she likes it.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 01:27:51 PM »

she likes it.

If circumstances allowed it, I'd do it.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Germane Jackson

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »

she likes it.

I think it's a sweet gesture if it's something the couple love doing, I don't know for sure if my grandmother liked it or it if it was her 'duty' as a good wife. My grandfather was a construction worker..so yup, she went to the construction site to deliver the lunch with the little kids in tow, he was proud of his kids and my grandmother and thought she looked gorgeous.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that back then that was basically the way it was--a woman's role in life was to look after her husband's wants and needs at all times and look perfect while doing it, lol.

I mean there are times when I've had to go to DH's job and of course I didn't want to look like a slob in front of his coworkers.