News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gifts that involve spending money  (Read 3239 times)

AllyKat

• AllyKat's Alcove
Gifts that involve spending money
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
Okay, so I know you aren't supposed to give gifts that involve the receiver paying. But, for Christmas I bought my friend a gift card for a movie theatre and they had a special where if you bought a $30 gift card, you got $30 in coupons too. They're things like buy one-get one, $2 off combos, free drink with purchase of popcorn, etc. Should I include the coupons, since they came with the gift card, or not?

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
Re: Gifts that involve spending money
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »
I would.  Your friend would probably buy snacks as well as tickets, so he/she could use the coupons. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kareng57

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
In this case, I don't see a problem.  She might like to use the coupons - and if not, she can ignore them.  She's still getting the theatre ticket as a gift.

IMO, the objection regarding gifts that involve spending money would be something like giving someone a 2-for-1 coupon.

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
I would love those coupons!

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:13:29 AM »
I would. She's not required to use them, but can if she chooses too.

cicero

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »
Okay, so I know you aren't supposed to give gifts that involve the receiver paying. But, for Christmas I bought my friend a gift card for a movie theatre and they had a special where if you bought a $30 gift card, you got $30 in coupons too. They're things like buy one-get one, $2 off combos, free drink with purchase of popcorn, etc. Should I include the coupons, since they came with the gift card, or not?
that's fine. and very nice of you.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

shhh its me

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »
  You would be fine, in general a GC should cover the status quo experience and coupons if the giftee wants to enhance the experience are fine.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:35:35 AM by Merry Mrs Martin »

LyraSilverose

• Never tickle a sleeping tiger.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »
In this case, I wouldn't even say that the gift requires spending money.  If the reciever doesn't want to spend any money, they simply don't have to use the coupons.  Very nice to include for them though, in case they do want a snack!
Soft paws and sharp claws a tiger do make.

567Kate

• Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
I think that the coupons alone wouldn't be a very good gift, but I think that they make a terrific add-on to the main gift! Go ahead and include them if you want to.

Aggiesque

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
I think it's perfectly fine to keep the coupons if you want them (they are a promo to entice peopel to buy giftcards), or you can give them to her if you don't want them.

There is no obligation to give her the coupons.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
You aren't requiring the recipient to spend money. The tickets are for a free movie. That's the gift. It's up to the recipients to decide whether they want to buy snacks at the movie. If they do, then the coupons are a nice touch. But they still get the free movie, whether or not they decide to buy snacks and/or redeem the snack coupons.

My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 03:21:52 PM »
You aren't requiring the recipient to spend money. The tickets are for a free movie. That's the gift. It's up to the recipients to decide whether they want to buy snacks at the movie. If they do, then the coupons are a nice touch. But they still get the free movie, whether or not they decide to buy snacks and/or redeem the snack coupons.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  BUying snacks at the movies isn't a requirement; its a choice, and you are giving them a gift; the movie tickets.  Its then up to the recipient to decide whether or not to buy snacks etc.  I'd definitly include the coupons, and let them know you got them when you bought the tickets, so you're including them.