News:

• April 24, 2018, 11:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Standardized women's sizes?  (Read 1197 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Standardized women's sizes?
« on: December 26, 2010, 02:32:37 PM »
My wife requested a few things for Christmas this year.  Thinking to expedite them and be able to focus more on the other presents, I bought some of them online.

From the women's sizes, I ordered.  The same women's size each time.  The one that she takes.  I was careful not to order from Juniors, careful not to order from anything but that size from women's sizes.

And the assortment looks like I picked random sizes from random clothing groups for random weights and sexes... 

Any advice? 

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Standardized women's sizes?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 02:43:14 PM »
Check the measurement in inches - bust, waist, hips and length. It is the only way to have a reasonable clue about size.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
welcome to our world.....

nothing is ever the "same size" even if it is the "same number"

hopefully you can exchange them for "what fits"  I'm sure your wife will understand
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Aggiesque

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:26:36 PM »
Yep- catalogues and online will have measurements to look at re: what size = what measurements.

If she has things of said brand, you can peek in the closet and see what size she wears in the brand.

Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »
Men tend to count on a 42" jacket and 34" pants being the same size across most (if not all) manufacturers. 

Women can't do the same - as one company may have quite a different fit model than the next - not to mention that the way women's patterns are graded (technical term for the way they take a standard size 10 pattern and use it to make the patterns for the larger & smaller clothes without adjusting for a fit model in the "new" size - which introduces some oddities as the pattern size goes up or down more than three sizes, but I don't want to go into too much detail).  So what you saw is NORMAL and expected in women's wear - now you know why your wife spends so much time shopping - she is trying on just about every single garment that she is considering buying to see how that particular garment by that company fits this time........

Same size in a different fabric or even a different batch cut at a different time may fit completely differently............ 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

JoW

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 04:43:02 PM »
Vanity sizing.  The classier the store the smaller size you take.  I loose a whole dress size when I drive 5 miles from WalMart to JC Penny.

Women have to try on everything before they buy. 

camlan

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »
With women's clothing, the designer/manufacturer matters a lot. So you need to remember both the size and the company that makes the clothing. It's all about how they cut the clothing--larger waist with this manufacturer, shorter inseam with that one. Women's sizing is very different from men's, where you can pick a neck size and sleeve length to get a shirt that fits correctly, or a waist size and inseam length for trousers. Women's clothing has one neck size related to one sleeve length--need a longer sleeve? Then you will have to buy a shirt that is larger all over--neck, chest, waist and sleeve--even if it is too large and too loose everywhere else.

I know many women who take a "Small" at Land's End, but a "Medium" from Chico's  and an "Extra Small" from J Jill. There are at least 4 different sizes of clothing hanging in my closet right now. And they all fit.

So, OP, you need to not only remember your wife's size, but also which manufacturer goes with each size.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jpcher

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »
zyrs -- (((HUGS))) to you!

You are a wonderful husband and did the very best thing in the world for your wife!

On-line ordering is tricky -- I never order on line any more.

My DD#2 ordered a pair of jeans -- 23" inseam/size 3 . . . I was with her when she placed her order. She received a pair of size 23 jeans.

??? ::)

Standardized women's sizes? There is no such thing, which frustrates me to the utmost.

That's why I buy and wear men's clothing. ;D

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 06:10:50 PM »
Vanity sizing.  The classier the store the smaller size you take.  I loose a whole dress size when I drive 5 miles from WalMart to JC Penny.

Women have to try on everything before they buy. 

POD.  Earlier I was wearing size 6 Levis, now size 4 Lucky jeans.  I'm wearing a medium Target tee under a small Land's End fleece, which I could change to an extra small.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 12:54:49 AM »
And lots of stuff isn't made for busty women. Nothing frustrates me more than trying a shirt which should fit and doesn't because apparently a size 2X is always bustless.

The thing that could be standardized- even for men- and isn't is shoe sizes.
Nothing to see here.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 01:03:26 AM »
My wife requested a few things for Christmas this year.  Thinking to expedite them and be able to focus more on the other presents, I bought some of them online.

From the women's sizes, I ordered.  The same women's size each time.  The one that she takes.  I was careful not to order from Juniors, careful not to order from anything but that size from women's sizes.

And the assortment looks like I picked random sizes from random clothing groups for random weights and sexes... 

Any advice? 

If the stuff is too big, a seamstress or tailor should be able to alter the garments to fit.  I agree that online shopping for women's clothing doesn't work for me.  A good idea for next year would be to get your wife's measurements across the bust, waist, hips, thighs and inseam and go to a department store.  Many salespeople would be willing to work with you to help you find items.  You may want to bring a picture of her as well so that the associate can find colors that work for her.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker