News:

• February 22, 2018, 09:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I checked the name tag this time!!  (Read 2125 times)

2greeneyes

I checked the name tag this time!!
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
BG:  At Christmas at my grandmother's house, the youngest cousin passes out the presents.  Sometime he actually reads the names off of the tags but most of the time it is either my uncle 1, grandfather or grandmother directing him to take the presents to.

BG2:  See background above, either last year or 2 years ago I had my pile of presents in front of me and I proceeded to open all of them.  One of the presents was a utility flashlight so I was kind of confused as to why I was received this present but didn't question it right away.  After a few minutes, I decided to check the wrapping paper and lo and behold the gift was not intended for me but for my uncle 2.  (The name was actually handwritten onto the wrapping paper as opposed to being on a gift tag which is how I think the mix up occurred).  Once I realized the mistake, I handed the gift over to my uncle stating that there was a mix up and I accidentally opened your gift.  Uncle 2 and Aunt gave me a weird look but I didn't know what else I could do at that moment to rectify the situation.

This brings me to today's Christmas celebration with that side of the family, all of the presents were passed out again.  This time by Uncle 1.  Due to previous events (see BG2), I always double check the name on the gift prior to opening them.  ALL of the gifts that I opened today had my name on them.  After all of the gifts had been opened, my grandfather started asking girl cousin if she received the "small package" that was designated for her.  She starts looking around and can't find it.  After a little bit of looking for this gift, it then becomes clear that one of the presents I opened was intended for her but had said my name on the tag.  (Please note that this gift was a gift card so it was not clearly obvious who was the intended recipient).  Once I realized this, I immediately handed the gift card over and said " Sorry, it appears that name tag was addressed wrong when I opened the gift."  Up until this point she had had only 1 gift to open from the grandparents and I had accidentally opened her 2nd gift.

Now for the etiquette question:

1. Is there any other way I could have handled the gift being labelled incorrectly?  I felt terrible since I basically opened up half of her gifts from our grandparents.

weeblewobble

Re: I checked the name tag this time!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »
OK, you might have messed up the first time, but what were you supposed to do in the latest incident, go around the room and ask "Hey, I know this package has my name on it, but I just wanted to make sure- is this for me?"

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:57:17 AM »
Pod. If it has the wrong name on the tag, then it's 100% on the gifter.

One of my DH's presents this year had my name on it, fortunately it was the gifter who handed that one out, so she could immediately say, "There's something wrong here! It has your name on it, but I'm pretty sure it's actually for your DH".

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

hyzenthlay

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:04:51 AM »
1. Is there any other way I could have handled the gift being labelled incorrectly?  I felt terrible since I basically opened up half of her gifts from our grandparents.

Nope.

If you open one gift at a time, it's usually easy for the gifter to spot a gift that's in the wrong place. But otherwise that kind of mix-up is probably inevitable.

Oh Joy

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »
We're one of those families that opens gifts one person and one gift at a time.  Around the room youngest to oldest as many times as it takes, and you always read the gift tag aloud first...'This is from GrandmaJoy'...and thank the giver once you've oohed and aahed (which is usually nice and short since the kidlets are shouting the name of the person who's next because they're excited for their own next turn).  Not that it's your role to change traditions that work for the family, but since everyone's watching, any blunders are immediately caught and usually corrected with smiles.

And I can't think of a better way to handle your situation than how you did.

Luci

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 12:48:30 PM »
We don't do the one gift at a time thing, but I never open a gift without seeing who gave it to me, so I would have avoided the first situation.

But I don't know of any way to avoid the second!

wyliefool

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:13:17 PM »
Heh. I actually opened one of DH's gifts. From me.  ::)  See, I had this whole pile of gifts From DH to Me, and didn't notice the one that said From Me to DH. Duh. And I'd gone light on him--w/ his knowledge and consent--so I had a lot more presents than he did.

Oh well. Note to self--pay attention!!

As for the mislabeled gift, I don't know what else you could have done.  It's not like you're intentionally trying to steal gifts. It had your name on it, after all.