Author Topic: Love in the form of coffee  (Read 1407 times)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Love in the form of coffee
« on: December 27, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
Some relatives were visiting today, and the topic of Starbucks came up. I mentioned (in a non-whiny way) that I hadn't had any since I left Toronto in September. (It would be hard to justify since I'm almost broke, but I've really been craving a mocha Frappuccino.) So my cousin Tara pulled a $10 Starbucks gift card out of her purse and gave it to me. That's two very decadent drinks, or more smaller/less froofy ones.

I know there's a lot of debate about gift cards, particularly Starbucks ones, here, but it was the perfect "cheer up the unemployed person with expensive taste" gift. My cousin isn't having the easiest time herself - her youngest son was recently injured in a car accident caused by an alcoholic with no license who was skipping his AA meeting. I'm a very lucky woman.

Ms_Shell

Re: Love in the form of coffee
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:46:01 AM »
Heh, that's love, all right.  Hope you enjoyed the mocha frappucino (and now I want one!)  :D
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:53:25 AM »

I know there's a lot of debate about gift cards, particularly Starbucks ones, here,

There is?  How fascinating - I can't see your cousin giving you that gift card being considered anything but a really sweet gesture!

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »

I know there's a lot of debate about gift cards, particularly Starbucks ones, here,

There is?  How fascinating - I can't see your cousin giving you that gift card being considered anything but a really sweet gesture!

Most of it is over gift cards as official presents - this was truly a RAOK that made perfect sense because I'd just mentioned an affinity for Starbucks. But I would have been every bit as happy to get it as a Christmas gift per se.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 01:01:32 AM »

Most of it is over gift cards as official presents - this was truly a RAOK that made perfect sense because I'd just mentioned an affinity for Starbucks. But I would have been every bit as happy to get it as a Christmas gift per se.

Me too.  I'd probably be there right now if I had gotten one.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

MaggieB

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 01:20:31 AM »
That's very sweet!  I feel your pain at being perpetually thisclose to completely broke, and I know how much those small luxuries can mean.  Enjoy your coffee!  (And go for at least one of the decadent drinks  ;) )

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:28:24 AM »
Enjoy your coffee!  (And go for at least one of the decadent drinks  ;) )

Don't worry, I will - anyone standing between me and a grande mocha Frapp had better check themselves before they wreck themselves. ;)

Silversurfer

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 02:17:33 AM »
How nice!
I would personally commit various misdeeds for a caramel frapacino! the closest starbucks is three hours away though!