Author Topic: When a RAOK comes back to you, tenfold  (Read 1773 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
When a RAOK comes back to you, tenfold
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »
As a little Christmas tip for the garbage and recycle collectors, the mail carrier and the newspaper carrier, I use my Air Miles and get $20 GC for a local grocery store to give out.  I put an envelope out for the good paper carrier (I get two papers; the other carrier didn't get the tip) the week before Christmas.

I happened to see the boy and his mom delivering papers last night, and I (rudely?) asked him what he'd bought with his GC because I was curious.

Turns out, Mom is at home with 4 kids - paper boy is the oldest at 13 - while her husband is working far away from home and they only see him on weekends.  Money was tight and pb had been asking for ribs but they couldn't afford them.  Mom didn't know what they were having for dinner that night - maybe KD.  When pb got the GC, he asked Mom if they could get ribs.  She gave me a big hug and said what a blessing it was.  They also had a TY note for me that I read later and it indicated that they were able to get some fresh bread and veggies to go with the ribs and had a great meal.

I was tearing up.  Something that I didn't give a whole lot of thought to turned out to mean so much for someone else and Mom and pb made me feel so good

I have one GC left over because I didn't give it out to the other paper carrier due to poor service.  I'm going to wait a while but I'm going to put it out for this boy.  Maybe Easter?

The unfortunate thing for me is that they are thinking about trying to sell their house and move closer to where the father is working so they can see him a little more.  I'll lose an awesome paper boy!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Cz. Burrito

Re: When a RAOK comes back to you, tenfold
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
Aw!  What a sweet story.   :D

Silversurfer

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »
That's a great story!
I would maybe give it to him the next time you see him - just say 'I am glad you enjoyed the GC, I have one left over and i thought you would be the perfect person to give it to'. That way it's a present for him as opposed to another tip.

Just a random question
Mom didn't know what they were having for dinner that night - maybe KD.

What is KD?

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »
That's a great story!
I would maybe give it to him the next time you see him - just say 'I am glad you enjoyed the GC, I have one left over and i thought you would be the perfect person to give it to'. That way it's a present for him as opposed to another tip.

Just a random question
Mom didn't know what they were having for dinner that night - maybe KD.

What is KD?

Kraft Dinner, I would guess.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »
That's so sweet.
Thank you for sharing.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:31:43 AM »
That's a great story!

My Dad suggested that, too.  But I'm concerned that they would feel it was 'charity' and be upset about it.  By leaving it in the guise of another tip, I think they would feel better about accepting it.  People can be funny about accepting things sometimes.  Dad had a kid in his class with shoes that were plain worn out.  Dad took him to the school's lost and found and found him a pair of shoes.  Kid was thrilled.  Shoes came back the next day with a note from the parents that they would provide shoes for their child, TYVM.

And yes, KD is Kraft Dinner.  That I refuse to buy for the food bank because I think the nutritional value is close to 0.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario