Author Topic: Short one: where do you write (next) in a note card?  (Read 6848 times)

Julep

Short one: where do you write (next) in a note card?
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
I googled this, but all the results were all about "how to write a thank you note."

Let's label a blank notecard like this: Front cover = A; inside front cover (left inside) = B; inside back (right inside) = C; back of card = D; and assume that the back (D) is mostly blank with plenty of room for writing

When you have a blank note card and are writing a thank you note or similar, where do you write after you've finished the C panel? Or are you supposed to start on B?

I've gotten notes from family members that went: C, D and ones that went C, B and ones that went C, B, D.

Is there a proper format, or is it totally up to the writer?

(I think I was taught that you start on C because that's where a reader's eye will naturally go when they open a card, but that doesn't mean I'm right about that).

edited to ask: do you start second/third panels of writing with (cont'd) or a page number or just assume that your reader will figure out that the Dear SoAndSo line is the first page, and the Love, Julep line is the last?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:16:07 PM by Julep »

ClaireC79

Re: Short one: where do you write (next) in a note card?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
If I know/think I'm going to use three sides I'd start B, then C then D

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »
Basically, wherever it's blank.

Depending on how much you write, I'd go B, C, D for three pages of text; C, D for two pages; or C for one page.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

gollymolly2

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
If I'm going to write that much, I start on B.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »
If I know I'm going to be really wordy, I'd use B,C,D.  If I think I'm going to be somewhat wordy, I'd use B,C.  If I'm not planning on being wordy, I'd use C.  And when I discovered I was going to be more wordy than I'd planned on, I'd go to B and then D.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Spoder

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
I always start on C, because that's where you look first when you open a card. If I fill C, I go to B, because I think it looks neater to have all the text tucked inside the card, rather than moving on to D (which I think of as the back 'cover').

If there was any chance I'd fill 3 sides, I think I'd plan ahead and go B, C, D. That doesn't happen much, though.

I have no idea if there is a correct way, this is just what I do.  :P

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
Basically, wherever it's blank.

Depending on how much you write, I'd go B, C, D for three pages of text; C, D for two pages; or C for one page.

I'd go with this. 

I recently got one though where the writer had started on B and continued writing all across the 'open' pages (through the fold) so that the whole letter was written horizontally with no breaks so that you read all the way across instead of in "columns".  It was quite easy to read.  Point being that I think it's safe to trust that the recipient will adjust, accommodate and be able to make sense of it whichever method you use.

Julep

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »
I have no idea if there is a correct way, this is just what I do.  :P

LOL, that's what I was really wondering - if any etiquette rulebook had something to say about it. But it sure is interesting to see all the variation in peoples' styles!

My Gran and great aunts (all prim and proper Southern ladies, which somehow always makes me feel like they were born with this knowledge) all started on C, but varied on where they went next. I'm just so bad about keeping a thank you note short, I usually use stationery paper, so I can go on as long as I like. But I got the prettiest cards as a gift this year and want to use them, and am staring at three notes that I've started but froze up on when I finished panel C. Gah.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »
C, B, add a small sheet (or 2 or 5) of paper (folded inside the card, but keeping it within the weight limit).

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Marleigh

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
If I'm going to write that much, I start on B.

POD this.  And honestly, I don't think I'd ever go to D.  It just wouldn't seem right to me.  So if my message wouldn't fit on B & C, I would enclose a piece of paper.

Jobiska

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 07:53:11 PM »
If there is any message printed on the inside at all (e.g. a printed thank you message), I would either start on C then continue on B; OR I might "personalize" the printed message by writing dear X above and and love, me/dh/son (or whatever greetings and combination of people are apt) on C and then for any actual letter-like correspondence only use B. 

If there is no printed message inside and I know I'm going to write a lot, I might open and upend it so it's more all like one sheet. 

I haven't ever seen "official" etiquette on it though.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »
You start on C and finish on B. If that's not enough space, you shouldn't be using a note card but a sheet.

That's the traditional way, at any rate. Note cards are for short notes; letter sheets are for just that - longer letters.

CarolineMae

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
If I know I'm writing a lot..I write B, C, D...just like you'd naturally read a magazine.

Aggiesque

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 11:29:18 PM »
C, B, then I'll use a piece of paper to stick in the card. I've never written on the back,
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

faithlessone

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
If it's just a short note, I use C.

If it's a long one, I use B, C, (and D if necessary).

If it was a short note that got out of hand, I'd go C, B.