News:

• February 21, 2018, 05:46:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kid's Party invite wording needed  (Read 17435 times)

andi

Kid's Party invite wording needed
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »
I need some good E*hell advice. 

I'm throwing Boo's first "real" birthday party (he's turning 6) with kids from his class at school.  (up till now it's been really low key playgroup at the park things)  This party will be at a local pizza buffet place, so i'll be paying per kid attending/eating.  What i need for the invite is a way to say "ONLY the child on the invite (from the class) is invited/will be paid for.  Siblings and parents are welcome to stay - but will need to pay for their own food/beverages".  Finances being how they are, i can afford the 20 kids in his class, but i cannot afford additional siblings and parents that may stay.  Please help me say this nicely but still getting the point across.

Thanks

threepenny

Re: Kid's Party invite wording needed
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
Can you kind of fib a little and say that due to space limitations, we are unable to accommodate additional children?

bah12

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »
Dear Mom and Dad, 

We would like to invite "your Child" to DS's birthday party held on XX date from XX - YY time at XX pizza place.
Food and drink will be provided for "your child".

We will make separate reservations for additional guests if requested.  For your planning convenience, the average cost of pizza and drinks is $XX.

Please RSVP to Andi at 867-5309 by Date.

Thank you.

jpcher

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
Dear Mom and Dad, 

We would like to invite "your Child" to DS's birthday party held on XX date from XX - YY time at XX pizza place.

We will make separate reservations for additional guests if requested.  For your planning convenience, the average cost of pizza and drinks is $XX.

Thank you.

I really like this.

By listing the child's name (in both places) it makes it perfectly clear that you are willing to pay for that child only. And you're also gracious enough to reserve a spot for others at their own cost.

The only problem is that maybe people might think that it's okay, then, to send a sibling with extra money . . . leaving you to supervise additional children (and extra goodie bags? ::))

We will make separate reservations for additional guests parents if requested.  For your planning convenience, the average cost of pizza and drinks is $XX.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »
How about:

Dear Mom and Dad,

Although we can be responsible only for "your child," we will make separate reservations for additional guests if requested, provided children are accompanied by a parent or other adult who will be responsible for them. For your planning convenience, the average cost of pizza and drinks is $XX.

Thank you.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

rashea

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
Are you expecting the parents to stay? If so, then I think you need to pay for them. And at 6, I doubt most parents would be okay with only one set of parents watching 20 kids.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »
Are you expecting the parents to stay? If so, then I think you need to pay for them. And at 6, I doubt most parents would be okay with only one set of parents watching 20 kids.

It sounds like they are not expecting the parents to stay.  Parents did not stay at birthday parties when I was a kid, and there were 20 or more kids in attendance.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

TZ

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »

It sounds like they are not expecting the parents to stay.  Parents did not stay at birthday parties when I was a kid, and there were 20 or more kids in attendance.
POD.  And siblings didn't come unless they were invited.  Is this common now? 

proudmama

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »
When my kids were 6, I stayed at parties like this, but I never expected the parents to pay for food for me.  Usually, I would bring a book and grab a table away from the party but where I could still keep an eye on my DD or DS.  More often than not, one or 2 other parents would join me at my table while our kids were participating in the party.  None of us ever expected the parents to pay for us. 

CarolineMae

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
YES it is common for siblings to attend parties with their older siblings. (And absurd IMO.) An invite goes to the child invited. Not to the child and X amount of siblings.

Also, I have brought my niece (4) to one of her friend's birthday parties and I didn't expect to eat pizza with the children.

If it was a bowling party would she still be required to pay for the parents staying? Or is it only because it's a pizza party? Also is she also supposed to pay for the siblings that are staying with the parents? IMO, you pay for the child..the majority of parents don't go to their child's invited party to eat.

OP: I wouldn't worry about buying food for the adults and I like the wording of bah12's invite. It shows that you can really ONLY pay for the child invited, not all the children plus parents plus 10 more siblings.

kudeebee

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:47:17 AM »
Put the child name on the outside of the envelope and again on the invitation.

At the bottom, under the rsvp info add exactly what you wrote in your original post:
Siblings and parents are welcome to stay - but will need to pay for their own food/beverages.

andi

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
Thank you all for your responses.  We've decided to go a different route now, having an "old fashioned party" at the local community center.  Decorations, cake, snacks, pinta, games.  From 2-4 and parents are invited to stay.  There's a playscape right out the door so if the weather is nice we'll do that as well.  Finances were stressing me so this way i won't have to worry about any misunderstandings. 

bopper

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »
You might be overthinking this...I have never really had a problem with other kids and parents trying to hone in on a party.  Kids sit at the party table, and if there is extra pizza/cake, we then offer it to the parents/kids that might be around.

andi

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »
I guess i've heard too many horror stories here about people showing up with siblings and other kids in tow and expecting the hosts to pay for the additional uninvited/unexpected kids.  And i know when i had his party 2 years ago with his playgroup, i had several siblilngs that came since it was at playgroup time and then complained about the activities.

I know at least one mom in Boo's class that always brings her younger child to events - i'm just trying to nip everything in the bud.  Hopefully with the new plan it won't matter anyway and everyone will have a good time

jpcher

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
I guess i've heard too many horror stories here about people showing up with siblings and other kids in tow and expecting the hosts to pay for the additional uninvited/unexpected kids.

Keep in mind that it's not always the parent that is at fault.

DD#1 received an invite to one of her friends (Katie) BDparty. (I think they were maybe 2-3rd grade?) It was a hand-delivered invite and it just so happened that Katie walked home with DD#1 that day.

DD#1 gave me the invite and said that DD#2 could come to. Katie said so. I asked Katie about it, she said "No problem! My mom doesn't care!"

Of course, when I RSVP'd, I asked KatieMom about this.

"ARGH! What am I going to do with that kid! She's inviting the whole class!" ::)

(eta: posted before finishing -- andi, I think your solution is wonderful. It sounds like you will have a much more relaxed and stress-free party . . . which is very important for you! ;D)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:48:24 PM by jpcher »