Author Topic: Kate Middleton wears black to a wedding  (Read 15744 times)

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
Re: Kate Middleton wears black to a wedding
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 06:55:51 AM »
I don't think the dress would have been appropriate for a funeral because of the sheer panels. Plus she has those frilly shoes on. The hat, oddly, strikes me as funereal. I don't like the outfit, though. I don't care for the way it fits, I think. It looks a little big on her. The jacket sleeves are bunchy, and that drives me crazy, so I just want to go up to her and pull everything straight. That satin skirt looks a little flimsy and clingy, so combined with the sheer panels in the bodice, the ensemble rather evokes lingerie. And personally I would have done more in the way of jewelry in the name of festivity. And lastly, the burgundy shoes and clutch are lovely, but they would have looked much better with a gray dress. 

Anyway my point is that it doesn't look quite right, but not because of the no black dresses rule. It just isn't that great of an outfit.

pwy a wyr

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »
Hey, hey. Another Brit here. I did think it a bit odd, but mostly from hanging our with all you lovely folks. I'm not sure I'd have noticed otherwise. However, since she got engaged, young Miss Middleton has been losing weight fast. She was already slender, but now I think she's gone too far. That may be why her dress is baggy. Not sure there'll be a backlash against her though. William is well liked, even by my minority, and she's done nothing to merit negativity.

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
I saw pictures, and hmm... okay, the shoes are colored, the purse too, but to me the outfit screams, sorry to say, funeral rather than wedding. I wouldn't dream of wearing something like this at a wedding even if it was the only thing that fit  :-\ .
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
I saw pictures, and hmm... okay, the shoes are colored, the purse too, but to me the outfit screams, sorry to say, funeral rather than wedding. I wouldn't dream of wearing something like this at a wedding even if it was the only thing that fit  :-\ .

See I'm looking at the sheer panel and the short hemline and thinking no way would I wear that to a funeral.

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »
The hat she's wearing is a style that is massively trendy right now. I've been drooling over this one and wondering if I could get away with wearing it to a wedding - my own!

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Sequin-Fascinator-With-Quill/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1160930&cid=1930&Rf900=1487&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Pink

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
I think it is quite possible she dressed in a dark color so as to down play the attention she gets from her own engagement to William. I mean imagine if she had worn something 'ravishing' , then she could possibly have been critiqued as trying to outshine the bride.

I think what she wore was quite appropriate.

Arizona

Rohanna

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »
I think it is quite possible she dressed in a dark color so as to down play the attention she gets from her own engagement to William. I mean imagine if she had worn something 'ravishing' , then she could possibly have been critiqued as trying to outshine the bride.

I think what she wore was quite appropriate.

I was thinking that- that she was hoping to go simple and classic and blend in rather than standing out. Unfortunately, I think whatever she wore would have garnered attention.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
I really like her shoes; personally, I think that yeah, it's a bit too "un-wedding-y", so to say. I really wish her hat was burgundy matching the shoes;it would have been so much more festive/wedding-y :)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »
I finally looked at the picture and quite liked the outfit.  I have to say she is in a position where people are going to find fault with just about anything she does; I think she looks lovely.  I didn't think funeral at all.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 07:51:18 PM »
I just saw a picture of the bride at that wedding and she looked gorgeous.  She wore a really clever jacket/train combination over her dress, thereby solving the coldness problem of a winter wedding.  So if I were there, I probably wouldn't have clocked what Kate Middleton was wearing my eyes would have been on the bride.

MyFamily

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
I just happened to see this dress in a yahoo article - she was being criticized not because it was too black but because it was too racy because the top was shear.  Not something I'd wear to a wedding, but then again I don't wear shear anything.  But if I saw that dress at a funeral I'd be put off - too short, too flirty, and not funeral appropriate at all.   

I also just have to say that her legs are amazing, and that dress showed them off very nicely, in my opinion.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »
Anyone have a link? I tried to google, and all I come up with are blue dresses?

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 11:56:23 PM »
Here it is:

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 12:05:58 AM »
Thank you!

While not incorrect, I agree that she could have gone with something a bit less conservative.

Any chance that that velvet-looking thing was just an over coat? Long sleeves at a wedding reception seems pretty matronly to me. Did she really dance in that thing? While it's fine for church, it doesn't say 'party' to me.

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 12:07:21 AM »
I hadn't seen that picture of her with Harry. That outfit is a lot cuter from the front. I think the overthing is a jacket. Velvet is in right now.