Author Topic: Surprise! You're at my wedding!  (Read 6842 times)

Rosey

• Super Hero!
Surprise! You're at my wedding!
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
Valerie Bertinelli is the most recent celebrity to surprise her family and friends by inviting them over for a party that turned out to be her wedding.

I know of at least a few other celebrities who have done this (although it's late - I'll have to name names tomorrow).

Thoughts? Opinions?

I can't help but think that it would be much easier to "stop by" for just a party than a wedding, so I'm imagining what would happen if a guest went to this party with the intention of staying for an hour or so and then found out it was a wedding (in other words, something that would take much longer before an appropriate leave time). There could be a guest who didn't support the marriage. There could be a guest who did not want to participate in the wedding (i.e. attend) for spiritually conflicting reasons.

At Bertinelli's wedding, her ex-husband was there. I know they are friends and so amicable and so forth, but I sincerely hope she told him ahead of time.

What do y'all say? Is any part of this rude?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Surprise! You're at my wedding!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:58:06 PM »
I'm going to assume that Eddie did know what was up. Sometimes celebrities do this to avoid excessive publicity pre-wedding and avoid paparazzi trying to crash the wedding. Under those types of circumstances, I think it's understandable. Her very nearest and dearest probably knew.

Was one of the other "surprise" weddings Shania Twain's?

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
I'm going to assume that Eddie did know what was up. Sometimes celebrities do this to avoid excessive publicity pre-wedding and avoid paparazzi trying to crash the wedding. Under those types of circumstances, I think it's understandable. Her very nearest and dearest probably knew.

I'm sure that most of them do it to avoid the paparazzi/publicity.

I'm just saying that as a guest, I don't think I would like it. Of course, I didn't have to worry too much about reporters at my wedding, so it's easy for me to say that.  ;)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:09:17 PM »

I'm sure that most of them do it to avoid the paparazzi/publicity.

I'm just saying that as a guest, I don't think I would like it. Of course, I didn't have to worry too much about reporters at my wedding, so it's easy for me to say that.  ;)

Well, that's the thing...as a guest you wouldn't be expecting a surprise wedding at your friend's party or your sister's party, but friends and family of celebrities involved in serious relationships may have more of an expectation that something like that could happen.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »
I have two friends who have done this!  One couple said on the invites they were having an engagement party & then got married during it and the other couple just got married during what was billed as an ordinary party.  Everyone attending was thrilled.  The main reason I think my friends did it that way was because it took the pressure off them.

TaylorMade

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:46 AM »
I don't have a problem with it and think it would be really cool to be at a surprise wedding!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:45:52 AM »
I think it is cool.  If my family were dysfunctional, I probably would have done it.  I think part of the surprise wedding thing is that expectations are thrown out the window.  So, if someone needed to leave after an hour, I think that would be OK. 

veryfluffy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 05:24:17 AM »
Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer did that last weekend too.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2011/01/yes.html

kckgirl

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 06:01:40 AM »
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill had a surprise wedding. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Maryland

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:52:04 AM »
I would not be thrilled if it were a close friend or family member.  I guess part of it is that I would be bothered by deception as a lead-in to vows where you are asking witnesses/friends/family/whomever to believe that you mean what you are saying.  Lying to get me there kinda cheapens the rest IMO.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 09:11:06 AM »
DH is a big Van Halen fan, and he says Eddie Van Halen and Valerie Bertinelli had a pretty amicable divorce and have stayed friends over the years.  I would guess that he knew about the wedding beforehand.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

immadz

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 09:25:32 AM »
Why would this be rude? As long as the guests of honor are gracious about people having to duck out right after the ceremony, I think it would be fine. I in fact like the surprise party in reverse idea - no one is pressured for a gift, the ceremony isn't excessively long, everyone is happy and good cheer is being spread - all at no stress to the happy couple!!!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
I think she had a schedule with a time blocked for a "special event" so I'm sure some guests suspected.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer did that last weekend too.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2011/01/yes.html

Oh, thanks a lot, Neil. I now have nothing left to live for. 

;D

cocacola35

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
I don't think it's rude.  As mentioned before, celebs do this often to avoid publicity.  I bet that close friends and family already knew about this or had a pretty good idea that the wedding was going to happen.