Author Topic: Where would I find food-grade citric acid?  (Read 4388 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Where would I find food-grade citric acid?
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:13:59 PM »
I'm on a make-it-yourself kick.  First, face cleanser, then shampoo/conditioner, then laundry detergent and now dishwasher detergent.  I will be building a bunker in the mountains here pretty soon.  Anyway, I can't find food-grade citric acid anywhere (well, any citric acid, period).  Where does one find it?

(I have no idea if this will work, but it uses almost all the same ingredients as my laundry detergent, so it's very little extra money for me if it doesn't work out.)

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Ms_Shell

Re: Where would I find food-grade citric acid?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »
It sounds kind of obvious, but would regular lemon/lime/orange juice work?  Or have you tried looking at specialty baking/candy supply stores?  That's my only suggestion, sorry. 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

JoW

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »
Try a pharmacy.  Ask at the pharmacy counter.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:50:02 PM »
I see it at my local co-op, or the grocery store that sells spices in bulk.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:54:30 PM »
I see it at my local co-op, or the grocery store that sells spices in bulk.

In the bulk foods section?  I made my first trip to WinCo today, the most wondrous grocery of all wondrous groceries (I didn't know places like this even existed), but didn't think to look in with the bulk spices.

Utah

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:05:25 AM »
For my laundry detergent, I use lemonade drink mix (w/o sugar, obviously).  You can also use the stuff that keeps fruit from turning brown, but that's pretty expensive for basically the same ingredient.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 03:08:27 AM »
I'm on a make-it-yourself kick.  First, face cleanser, then shampoo/conditioner, then laundry detergent and now dishwasher detergent.  I will be building a bunker in the mountains here pretty soon.  Anyway, I can't find food-grade citric acid anywhere (well, any citric acid, period).  Where does one find it?

(I have no idea if this will work, but it uses almost all the same ingredients as my laundry detergent, so it's very little extra money for me if it doesn't work out.)

i dont know about the US but here in Australia  citric acid is in the baking aisle  with cake mixes, sugar, flour baking powder etc

Yarnie

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:09:41 AM »
Look for Sour Salt - that's the same thing as citric acid.  It's usually in the international aisle with the polish/eastern european foods.  But, that comes in a little bottle, so probably not enough.

There is also this, but the shipping will kill you.l

http://www.amazon.com/Citric-Acid-Lemon-Salt-Pounds/dp/B000OZFECU

This sit has better prices, and shipping is only 5 dollars

http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=4272

I also found this:

http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?cn=Citric+Acid&ct=dfmbc

Mainly, just search google for citric acid bulk.

Oh, and when I searched for food grade citric acid, I found this:

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Citric-Acid-Food-Grade-500g-P16405.aspx

and this:

http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=1218309

Remember, what makes dishwasher detergent super effective is the dreaded phosphates.  Non-phosphates just don't work as well, sadly.  Of course, phosphates are bad for the environment.  Every time I try to start using natural dishwasher detergent, the results are just bad.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 06:26:29 AM »
Try wine making suppliers, or the pharmacy. Possibly also online with soap making supplies.
NE England

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
Most health food stores I've been in have had it.

(I'm severely allergic, so it caused a double-take when I first saw it sold in bulk. Kind of like seeing a super one-day sale on cyanide. :P ;D)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

alegria

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
If you need several odd chemicals, you can buy from Fisher Scientific - I think they have a minimum $75 order, hence needing to get a few things.  :)  Anything that is pharmaceutical grade (which is most of what they sell) is definitely food grade.

I've often wondered what sorts of strange things I could make with the contents of my lab...

crankycat

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:28 AM »
Beer brewing/wine making supply stores often carry it.  This store is in MN, but they do ship.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/catalogsearch/result/?q=citric+acid

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »

i have some...

in israel it's sold in spice stores and spice racks in the supermarket. probably in pharmacies too. it's pretty readily available.

may i ask about the laundry detergent?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Amazon. I looked for it since citric acid is a component of homemade bath fizzies.
Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »

i have some...

in israel it's sold in spice stores and spice racks in the supermarket. probably in pharmacies too. it's pretty readily available.

may i ask about the laundry detergent?

There are a bunch of recipes out there if you Google "homemade laundry detergent."  I'm starting with this one:  http://debwolf.blogspot.com/2010/10/homemade-laundry-detergent.html

Utah