Author Topic: Thoughts on thoughts  (Read 15976 times)

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
Re: Thoughts on thoughts
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2011, 01:36:26 AM »
And I agree with Ms. Shell and hyzenthaly.

I'll be standing over here w/Granny Takes a Trip.   :)  No harm, no foul.

I agree that any discussion that goes off in to hyperbole, uber-specific medical peculiarities or such obscure situational excuses that are doing triple summersaults as to be ridiculous to excuse rude behavior is maddening.

Meeee tooo.  I have an otherwise-wonderful friend who has recently developed this habit.  It makes me a little eye-rolly and bean-dippy.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Allyson

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
Well, I know I've definitely thought both 'this person is really doing leaps to excuse someone's rudeness' and 'wow, that's jumping to conclusions that someone was malicious' at different times. Other people might have different reactions in each case, and I think it's worth discussing, but I don't think either overly blaming the OP and excusing rudeness in others, or siding with the OP and assuming maliciousness is endemic. I mean, I've seen both things being called out.

Everyone's coming to situations with their own experiences, and what to one person is obviously malicious, might to another person be pretty normal, or have another obvious explanation.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »
Yes, Allyson, I've noticed both behaviors too. Except when mothers-in-law are the villains. It seems like no one makes excuses for mothers-in-law.  ;)
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Jan74

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
Yes, Allyson, I've noticed both behaviors too. Except when mothers-in-law are the villains. It seems like no one makes excuses for mothers-in-law.  ;)

Nah. People have told me that moving to a city away from my mother-in-law was an "overreaction" and that no behavior by a MIL could possibly justify "cutting one's community ties".

So even MILs get the benefit of excusing their behavior.  ;D

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2011, 01:21:55 PM »
Ha! I stand corrected.

Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.