Author Topic: Help stop EvilTwik!  (Read 5132 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Help stop EvilTwik!
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »
... she's plotting bad, bad things.

Yesterday, I noticed I'd received a text on my phone. Since neither I nor most of my friends text, I was curious, and even more so when I read what it said (names replaced with letters in the following):

"Hey its x just to let u know i was going thru ys fone contacts and i texted every guy in it she dosnt actually like u  :P"

Note that I have never heard of either x or y before. Also, I'm not a guy. Somehow, I've become involved in what looks like a major teen drama, which at my age is, I admit, rather amusing.

Eviltwik is itching to text back "I'm devastated. I would be even more devastated if I had any idea who you and y were." That's a bad idea, right?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Jan74

Re: Help stop EvilTwik!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »
Actually, I think this is helpful. That way, the Teen Texter can know he still hasn't informed Teen with Similar Number to Yours that Y "dosnt actually like u".

So I say you're just being service-y. Text away.

Hillia

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
Considering they probably won't know what 'devastated' means, it would be more pointless than anything.

And you're guaranteed to get a flood of inchoherent messages back, telling you to relax and not take things so srsly.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SouthernBelle

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »
NO!  There is a possibility that they are fishing for textable numbers to spam.  Assuming that is the case, your cell number would be sold to every company telling you how to find hot chicks in your area and how to grow body parts you don't have.

Jan74

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
Considering they probably won't know what 'devastated' means, it would be more pointless than anything.

And you're guaranteed to get a flood of inchoherent messages back, telling you to relax and not take things so srsly.

She could instead text "iz sad but i don no who u or y r lol". Same thing but translated to a mix of textspeak and lolcat.

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »
Hmmm...hard to know if this is legit or a scam.  As a PP mentioned, they could be Phishing for phones with texting capability...

However, we had a news story here in town that started out like this...a teen accidentally texts someone else that led to an arrest.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/011111-woman-caught-in-motel-with-missing-teen#
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »
I agree with Southern Belle - replying just indicates you have a "live" number and might invite more texts.  Is there any way to save the number to your contacts and then block it?

Emma
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
I'd ignore it, just in case it is a scam.

I once received a text:  Dude, my knee is (bad word starting with f)ed.

Followed by:  Sorry.  Wrong #.  My bad.

Which just made me laugh.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ms_Shell

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »
"srisly? thats not wht she told me last nite"  >:D

Please disregard the above.  Yes, it would be a Bad Idea.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »
^^Winnah!!!!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »
I think you are reading the text wrong. She isn't telling you Y doesn't like you. You are a conspirator here. You are supposed to be laughing at the idea that all those guys now think Y doesn't like them. I still would ignore it.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:01:09 PM »
The scam for live phones sounds reasonable. The actual names are strange, and I don't recognize the number.  However, a quick google indicates that it's from a residential area in the next town over (I'm not so curious that I'll pay for further information).

I don't give out my cell number to many people, so I'm perplexed as to how this would show up on an unknown teen's phone in the first place. That makes it more likely to be a scam.

Ms_Shell, you're just encouraging EvilTwik.  >:D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »
I think you are reading the text wrong. She isn't telling you Y doesn't like you. You are a conspirator here. You are supposed to be laughing at the idea that all those guys now think Y doesn't like them. I still would ignore it.

Ah! That's a possibility. Lack of punctuation does increase the variety of readings, doesn't it?

boxy

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »
I like EvilTwik but in this case it sounds like a scam. 

Ms_Shell

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »
The scam for live phones sounds reasonable. The actual names are strange, and I don't recognize the number.  However, a quick google indicates that it's from a residential area in the next town over (I'm not so curious that I'll pay for further information).

I don't give out my cell number to many people, so I'm perplexed as to how this would show up on an unknown teen's phone in the first place. That makes it more likely to be a scam.

Ms_Shell, you're just encouraging EvilTwik.  >:D

This is what I do best.  >:D  I agree that it sounds like it could be a scam though reading it again.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker