Author Topic: Help stop EvilTwik!  (Read 5260 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: Help stop EvilTwik!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »
I think you are reading the text wrong. She isn't telling you Y doesn't like you. You are a conspirator here. You are supposed to be laughing at the idea that all those guys now think Y doesn't like them. I still would ignore it.

Ah! That's a possibility. Lack of punctuation does increase the variety of readings, doesn't it?

Yes - but I think the clue is that she is saying that she texted everyone in Y's phone. Why would you say "Hi this is X and I am texting every guy in Y's phone that she doesn't like you". That would make me contact Y and say who has your phone? But texting every guy "I don't like you" and then telling you she did that makes it sound like you are supposed to be her friend. I am guessing that this isn't a scam but a wrong number. You are probably one or two digits off her BFF's number.

Marguette

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
I'd be surprised if a scammer would have composed such a realistic text. The text-speak spelling, the ambiguity due to missing punctuation, the plot of the mean girl prank; all these suggest to me that it's genuine.

Jan74

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 08:49:19 PM »
Good point, Marguette. I'd expect a scammer to send something like "Hi hottie want 2 get 2gether l8r?". Appealing to people's base instincts, just like spammers do (and I read spam for a living).

Spam with viruses is all either offers of naked photos etc. (base instincts) or "You've won an iPod!" type stuff. So, free scrabble, or free money.  ;D

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:21 AM »
I read it as:

Hello (y's boyfriend); I went through Y's telephone contacts and told all the boys in it that she doesn't like you (meaning y's boyfriend).

Ah yes, teenage hilarity would ensue as all of the male "friends of Y" now believe she is free to date them.