Author Topic: Using euphenisms  (Read 3634 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Using euphenisms
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
Hi, all:

I was just wondering, after some confusion on my post and others, what the Ehell line on euphenisms was (using fruits, colours, whatever to replace race or religion). 

I thought that euphenisms were used to avoid derailing a thread or causing an argument, but is it better just to say what we mean?

gui

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
Re: Using euphenisms
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »
No answer, just posting to make sure I see if there is a response as I would like to know as well.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »
It's my understanding that the fruit/colors/whatever are used when it is obvious that naming the race or religion would cause the thread to be closed - but the fact that there is a distinction between the races/religions is vital to the story.

However, I'll say that I, usually, skip over the threads using them.  It is simply way too difficult to understand threads that use them.  I realize that there is a reason why we don't specify "this person was white and that person was Hispanic".  But, saying "this person was an orange and that one was a banana" just really does not make sense and is too confusing to try to keep up with.

Miss Understood

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:04:15 PM »
I'm not a mod, nor do I play one on TV, but I will say that I far, far prefer when posters use the real information.  In fact, as soon as I see "purple" or "orange" or "grapes" etc. I am inclined to just not read the thread at all as it is distracting to the point of being actually irritating.  It's especially so when it's impossible to figure out what actually happened because of the vagueness of the terms - at least with most of the threads I can usually decipher what the euphemisms mean (but then I start thinking what's the point?).

Maybe I have not been here long enough but I do not recall seeing many threads devolve into arguments because race or religion was mentioned - one of the things this forum is notable for is its members' ability to discuss potentially controversial subjects politely.  I have never understood why the euphemisms are necessary.  I can see where actual political issues could be an exception though; it is difficult to discuss those without getting into ideology rather than etiquette.

penelope2017

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
My view is they are too obscure and confusing to give real advice, or they are so obvious there's no point.

I agree they are generally irritating and usually avoid such threads.

Rohanna

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
I don't mind euphamisms when they are being used to hide from the advertising filter. Sometimes, though, they remove cultural details that are pertinant to the story, so I tend to skip over those threads. If you can't phrase your post to not be insulting or inflammitory towards the culture/religion/race if you were to name said culture/religion/race- maybe you shouldn't be posting it.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
I prefer posters to not use euphemisms.  They just confuse things, and more likely than not, I'll stop reading.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 03:21:03 PM »
For politics--Party A and Party B is enough.

For race--in most cases, if race is *really* important to the story, I'd rather the poster come out and say what it is. 

For religion, same, generally.

The only thread where I have used euphemisms it *was* confusing, but I chose to do it because I knew that if I posted the real things, people would disagree with my own personal feelings/beliefs on the issue (a religious one), and no internet board was going to change that--and while it related to my question enough to be important to share, I was looking for answers that did not involve making that change.

In other words, I don't think that doing away with them completely is a solution, but in most situations, they aren't needed.  I mean there's a thread in "What an Interesting Assumption" that talks about Irish Greens; anyone who's read the thread knows exactly what a "Green" is.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »
Maybe I have not been here long enough but I do not recall seeing many threads devolve into arguments because race or religion was mentioned - one of the things this forum is notable for is its members' ability to discuss potentially controversial subjects politely.  I have never understood why the euphemisms are necessary.  I can see where actual political issues could be an exception though; it is difficult to discuss those without getting into ideology rather than etiquette.

Yeah, I do think it works well for actual politics, such as the kind of story that goes "I'm a member of the Chartreuse Party, but my dad is Fuchsia and sends me all these inflammatory emails; how do I respond?" Then again, that story could be told without euphemisms at all, just "My dad and I support opposing political parties, and..."

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
I've bumped up a thread that I was reminded of when reading the above posts.

In particular, I think #s 2 and 5 are important in my list.

Yvaine is right.  Why use a "code" in the above case when you can just say, "My dad and I support opposing political parties, and..."?  Trying to put in additional details is "fluff" that you don't need for your story.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »
I prefer posters to not use euphemisms.  They just confuse things, and more likely than not, I'll stop reading.

Agreed.

567Kate

• Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »

Yeah, I do think it works well for actual politics, such as the kind of story that goes "I'm a member of the Chartreuse Party, but my dad is Fuchsia and sends me all these inflammatory emails; how do I respond?" Then again, that story could be told without euphemisms at all, just "My dad and I support opposing political parties, and..."

I also prefer it when people can simply leave out the details rather than use euphemisms. I know that works better for some questions that others, but I think it's the best solution when it's feasible.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »

Agreed.

Further agreed. No need to refer to flora or fauna when "opposing parties" will do.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
Forgive me, but I actually rather like the euphemisms.  I find it helpful to sorting out the details of the story.

I have just as rough a time with "Party A and Party B" as I do with "Friend A and Friend B." Much easier to call them Anna and Betty; and say that one is Purple Party and one is Orange. 

I think it tidily removes the danger of threadlock and still gets the essential details across. 

Plus, which is faster and easier to type:
      "Anna sends me extreme Purple emails although she knows I'm Orange."
      "Co-worker A sends me extreme emails reflecting the viewpoint of her political party, although she knows I support an opposing political party."

Just my two cents; I respect the opinions of the others here as well.

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
I agree with starsaphire. I don't find the euphemisms confusing.