Author Topic: Using euphenisms  (Read 3873 times)

TaylorMade

Re: Using euphenisms
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »
I recall a situation where it did matter, and the OP did not use euphemisms.  The OP had converted from Catholicism to Judaism (I think, I don't remember the exact specifics) It was important in that thread to know the exact religion because (I believe) she was asking about the etiquette in explaining her conversion to her own family and the etiquette of her new way of life.

Obviously using euphemisms in a thread like that wouldn't work, and it's not against forum rules because "The caveat to this rule is when discussions of politics or religious beliefs or practices can illuminate other people's understanding of different religions and cultures so that tolerance is promoted"

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »
I started a thread in which race was relevant and, with the exception of a newbie troll, I think we all handled it with aplomb even though there was disagreement in the thread.

I also started a thread about my brother and me disagreeing politically, but it wasn't necessary to go to Euphemismville to get my point across.

I agree with starsaphire. I don't find the euphemisms confusing.
Neither me.  Using initials for friends/family, if it's more than just a couple .. now that will lose me quick.

THIS.  Euphemisms don't bother me and may help with clarity when others respond, but I completely pass on threads with letters instead of names.  I stop reading about three sentences in and I'm always amazed that others have more cognitive fortitude than I and can keep things straight AND give advice using the alphabet soup.   ;)

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 01:54:28 AM »
I think in gui's post the specfics DO matter, as evidenced in the responses.  I doubt many people are confused what "Orange" and "Purple" actually refer to in that thread, and the responses show that some people think etiquette differs depending on whether the "ignored DD" is of a "majority culturally" or "minority culturally."  In my opinion, euphemisms do not solve anything.

I agree. Particularly as part of gui's issue was the speaker assuming (or acting as if) all kids hearing his speech were purple (or whatever) it seemed important to know if this was actually something he could or couldn't determine by just looking at the kids in front of him.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 03:19:01 AM »
Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't have a clue which ethnic groups Orange and Purple describe in Gui's post. I don't know where she lives, how can I know? :)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

MaggieB

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 05:13:34 AM »
I don't love euphemisms, but I can accept that they're part of the culture of the board.

I think that where we get into trouble (and where I've seen mods intervene) is when an OP uses euphemisms and half the posters know exactly what they mean and start talking about the specifics ("Well, in Orange culture, this is pretty common, though I'm not surprised you haven't been exposed to it much as a Purple...") while the other half of the posters are going  ??? ??? ???

I think if we say that euphemisms are acceptable then people need to play along and keep it general.  Just my two cents, of course.   ;)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 06:28:12 AM »
Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't have a clue which ethnic groups Orange and Purple describe in Gui's post. I don't know where she lives, how can I know? :)

I personally find ascribing rainbow colours to people and religions to be silly. When people say they're "purple" or "green" or whatever, I just imagine a bunch of Drazi wearing purple and green scarves. (Babylon 5 corrupts everyone who watches it that way.) So in my mind the people still look alike, only like Drazi instead of humans. And if they say "blue"... well, I imagine the people from that James Cameron movie, you know the one...  ;)

Does it offend people for the *real* colour or ethnicity to be mentioned? It doesn't offend me. No one I know (and I know multiple people from every ethnic group you can get in this country) gets offended when the colour is used as either a descriptor or as part of a story they are telling.

If I say that a friend of mine goes around jokingly referring to herself as a "special k", everyone would be  ??? ??? . However, if I mention that I am white, she is black, and the k-word was once used to describe black people, suddenly the story makes more sense. (Unless you don't know what the k-word is, and in that regard I will not help you; I can't say it, never mind type it.) But if I changed the colours to "I am purple, she is green, and she goes around referring to herself as a 'special g'", that makes even less sense. In my example you need to know the cultural background and real words in order to understand what my friend is actually doing by using that term.

Even using the real names of different religions does not offend me. Why should it? Are we going to act like we're all the same? Our religions are part of what defines us; to act like they don't exist is, to me, ridiculous. To me someone's religion doesn't matter in how I relate to them online, but if I know what it is it helps me to understand part of who they are, which in my mind can only improve our interactions.

I can understand why mentioning political parties is not allowed, but again, there's no need for rainbow colour substitutions. As people have already pointed out, it's fine to just say that people belong to different parties.

I really do believe in the Vulcan philosophy of "infinite diversity in infinite combinations". We should rejoice in our differences. We already know that to be different is not to be bad or wrong, so why try to hide or disguise our differences? We should be enjoying them. As stated in Star Trek, "The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity, and the ways our differences combine to create meaning and beauty."

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:55 AM »
T'Mar, I'd really love for what you've just written to be the last word on the subject, metaphorically speaking.  So I'm just going to go stand beside you.   

:)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 12:29:47 PM »
T'Mar, I'd really love for what you've just written to be the last word on the subject, metaphorically speaking.  So I'm just going to go stand beside you.   

Wow, thank you!!!  :-*

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

boxy

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
POD with T'Mar and aventurine

Larrabee

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
Yup, Star Trek never lets me down!

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:13 PM »
T'Mar, I'd really love for what you've just written to be the last word on the subject, metaphorically speaking.  So I'm just going to go stand beside you.  

Wow, thank you!!!  :-*
This. Well said. It was a speech worthy of Delenn herself. ;D

For non-B5 geeks Delenn is a character noted for being a strong humanitarian and also very eloquent. To some degree this also reflected the actor's (Mira Furlan) strong humanitarian views.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

boxy

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
I miss B5.

wendelenn

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
I miss B5.

I have just spent the fall & winter re-watching the entire series.  FINAL episode of season 5 ready to be fired up tonight!  Such brilliance.  The final video message from G'Kar to his chosen successor totally made me cry the other night--especially knowing that Andreas Katsulas has passed on.

(And yes, you can guess the source of my screen name (My first name is Wendy.)  :)

ETA I don't generally mind euphemisms for race or religion as long as someone specifies which category they're talking about ("My mother-in-law is of the Purple faith while I was raised Orange.".  What annoys me are unneccessary euphemisms for companies ("Bullseye Store", "Orange Home Improvement Store", "think rhymes with Car-bucks".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:44:32 PM by wendelenn »
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 12:08:59 AM »
When it comes to colors used as euphemisms, it's a bit cutesy for me, but I can live with it because they keep threads from getting derailed and bogging down in discussions of politics, religion, or other matters that really don't relate to etiquette.

I'm also not fond of too-cutesy references to commercial establishments like those referenced upthread, first because it's still very obvious what company is being referenced, and the excessive coyness is rather childish.

But neither strikes me as a big deal-just a minor annoyance.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 02:23:53 AM »
I'm also not fond of too-cutesy references to commercial establishments like those referenced upthread, first because it's still very obvious what company is being referenced, and the excessive coyness is rather childish.

I think the difference is that it's not against forum rules to discuss the fact that you shop at Target, and there are no privacy issues in mentioning the fact that you shop at Target. So it seems unnecessarily cryptic.