Author Topic: The Blizzard.  (Read 1705 times)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
The Blizzard.
« on: January 12, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »
I shoveled out my driveway this morning and when I went back out tonight I noticed that the plow had been by and deposited 3 feet of snow, blocking my driveway.

Nothing to do, but go at it.   The big problem was that there was no place to put it.  Putting it in the road is illegal.

So there I was, looking like Julie Harris chopping wood in "Stubby Pringle's Christmas.  Really, I had my scarf tied under my chin, peasant style and was attempting to pile snow on a snow bank as tall as myself.

My blessed neighbor came out with his snow blower and finished for me.  He also did another neighbor's.

All this while his wife tried to get him to come in for dinner.

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: The Blizzard.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
What a great guy! The snow plowed up at the end of the driveway is the worst! Hard and icy and packed solid. And if there's no place to put it, you end up walking several feet to dump it on the lawn or wherever.

Last big snowfall, my neighbor was trying out his new snowblower. He "accidentally" did our whole front walk.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, Im possible! Audrey Hepburn

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
I have my own snowblower but I also have a neighbour who gets so happy about using his that he sometimes does all or part of my driveway before I get out there!

So on the days the plow goes by after he's done his driveway but I haven't done mine, I'll blow the plow pile for him so he doesn't have to get his out again.

My other neighbour shovels by hand.  I always intend to help him out by doing the plow pile for him but he's always done before I get out there!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
ackkk the plow pile

one year I was shoveling that out of my end of driveway and WAS putting it out in the middle of the street

city guy came down the street and told me I couldn't do that

Well I told him -- took a big step back -- here is the curb - I'm only putting in the street what is in the street to begin with

all of a sudden there was a city snow plow down our street removing snow from not only my driveway. (small plow - on a pick up) but a couple of others down the block

next day the street was plowed out curb to curb.

of course I also live in tinytown
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:15:12 AM »
ackkk the plow pile

one year I was shoveling that out of my end of driveway and WAS putting it out in the middle of the street

city guy came down the street and told me I couldn't do that

Well I told him -- took a big step back -- here is the curb - I'm only putting in the street what is in the street to begin with

all of a sudden there was a city snow plow down our street removing snow from not only my driveway. (small plow - on a pick up) but a couple of others down the block

next day the street was plowed out curb to curb.

of course I also live in tinytown

A couple of years ago, I was out when the plow was going by and I asked him to plow out the street in front of my mailbox (four mailboxes together actually).   Our mail carrier won't deliver if he can't reach the boxes from the the truck. 

He did! :D

DebbaCruz

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
Aw love hearing about the niceness of neighbors!  I also live in a great neighborhood and we have one person with a snowblower - he faithfully does a round around our street every single time it snows so no one ever has to shovel their sidewalks!  It only takes him about 10 mins, but saves everyone else hours.  Such a great guy and so thankful for him :) Must bake him cookies soon!

snowfire

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
We have a really nice neighbor who has a plow blade on the front of his ATV.  Whenever it snows he runs around our whole neighborhood and does the sidewalks.  There are about 40 houses in our sub and he can do it as fast as he can drive it.  We toss him some gas money whenever we catch him.

At my Mom's house, I'll take the snowblower to her driveway and then do her next door neighbors as a thank you since he brings her trash cans up to the house every week.  There also used to be a former neighbor couple who were around 90.  They had a huge driveway.  I did their driveway a couple of times.

Mammavan3

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
As DH and I drove to the hospital two weeks ago for his knee surgery, the sleet and ice storm began.  By the time I left the hospital at 10:00 that night, everything was encased in several inches of ice.  It took a half hour for my car to warm enough to to rid it of its ice skin.  The drive home was a white-knuckle experience

The next morning I dreaded the prospect of trying to clear the drive, walk, and steps.  I was exhausted and emotionally drained.  I went out to find our neighbors hard at work clearing everything for us.  The dad used the snow blower to clear our wide drive, the pre-teen DD cleared the edges behind him and tackled our steps, while the mom chipped the ice off the walk (I worked with her).  I was practically in tears because I was so overwhelmed by their kindness.

Because the ice had been cleared, by the time I brought DH home four days later, the walk and steps were totally dry and safe to walk on.

We are so blessed with having such good neighbors.