Author Topic: Management notices and hilariously bad spelling/grammar  (Read 9862 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Management notices and hilariously bad spelling/grammar
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
I once worked for a large employer that had branch offices all over the place. These ranged from large multi-story office buildings to two-person holes-in-the-wall in some strip mall. For many staff, there was a need to come into the office on evenings & weekends, so someone decided that it wold be a good idea to send out a memo on after-hours building safety.

One suggestion, in those pre-cell phone days, was that if you worked in a building that had elevators, you should use only the elevator,  not the stairs. The idea was that elevators were equipped with emergency alarms and/or phones, so you could summon help, instead of lying overnight in a stairwell after you slipped & broke your leg. 

What they wrote: Only use elevators in buildings equipped with elevators.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
I once worked for a large employer that had branch offices all over the place. These ranged from large multi-story office buildings to two-person holes-in-the-wall in some strip mall. For many staff, there was a need to come into the office on evenings & weekends, so someone decided that it wold be a good idea to send out a memo on after-hours building safety.

One suggestion, in those pre-cell phone days, was that if you worked in a building that had elevators, you should use only the elevator,  not the stairs. The idea was that elevators were equipped with emergency alarms and/or phones, so you could summon help, instead of lying overnight in a stairwell after you slipped & broke your leg. 

Elevators in buildings without elevators are a trap.

The elevator is a lie!
The status is not quo!

exitzero

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
This last election, a local politician sent out a mass mailing telling one and all that he will "reign in spending".

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »

The elevator is a lie!

That reminds me of a notice on the wall in a library I used to go to - "In the event of a fire, do not use elevator"

It was a one-story building. :D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

lilfox

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
This last election, a local politician sent out a mass mailing telling one and all that he will "reign in spending".

Mistake?  Or truth in advertising?   ;)

ettiquit

« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »

The elevator is a lie!

*snort*

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »
I got one the other day, from the phone company that starts with a V, who also offers television and internet.  My apt complex is wired for their services, and frequently we get flyers with special offers for us apt. dwellers.  So I come home and there's one on my door.  with a sticker listing the reps name and phone #, with three arrows drawn towards it, so as not to miss who to call.  Then, scribbled on it, was "lotsa free stuff"  I kid you not.  Some other scribbling as well, but I wasn' able to read it. 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2011, 01:05:36 AM »

Mistake?  Or truth in advertising?   ;)

"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
I was watching a movie tonight and -although I've seen it a million times and read it at least twice that  >:( and only now realised that Interpol promises "sever" punishments for video piracy.

Really? In a warning seen millions of times, there's a typo?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
I was watching a movie tonight and -although I've seen it a million times and read it at least twice that  >:( and only now realised that Interpol promises "sever" punishments for video piracy.

Really? In a warning seen millions of times, there's a typo?

Maybe they mean that if they catch you they'll cut off one of your body parts?   :)

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
This might date me a little but in our school computer lab we had a microfiche reader.  On the wall in big letters above the machine was: MICRO-FISH

Not sure if it was a joke or not.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2011, 12:53:54 PM »
This might date me a little but in our school computer lab we had a microfiche reader.  On the wall in big letters above the machine was: MICRO-FISH

Did it also have pictures of itty-bitty trout?  *runs away giggling*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »

Actually...it did after I drew them on a sticky note and put it up on the machine. 

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »

Actually...it did after I drew them on a sticky note and put it up on the machine.

You win.

The status is not quo!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »

The elevator is a lie!

I can handle that, as long as there's cake  ;D
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz