Author Topic: My Almost SIL  (Read 3485 times)

Clareish

My Almost SIL
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:35:38 PM »
I've been reading the topics on this board for awhile, and I find them endlessly entertaining. I will add my own story of how complete silence worked for me.

Some Background,

I have been in a relationship for almost 10 years, and I am currently engaged to my guy. His older sister is... difficult. She and I cordial and friendly, but we are not close. This is mainly due to differences in personality, but she also frequently loses the filter between her brain and mouth, and has a temper. Super fun to be around, by the way.

End.

For awhile, think almost a year, she insisted on calling me a weird version of my name. My name is fairly common and easy to pronounce, there are not many people who would mix it up. About 4 years into my relationship with her brother, she decided to change my name to something she found hilarious, based off a pretty famous hockey player. Think Clareberle instead of Clareish. Not really funny, but she thought so. It bugged me, but I usually just laughed, because she can be a bully when she's looking for a reaction.

Then she called me this stupid name in front of the whole family. I stared at her for a moment, and then turned my head, all in complete silence. She was laughing away, AND NOBODY SAID A WORD! It was beautiful. The whole family stared at her in silence until she stopped laughing, looked around awkwardly, and then said something like "well, I guess that wasn't funny." Her own husband also stared at her in silence.

She has never called me it since.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
Re: My Almost SIL
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:30:41 PM »
Brilliant - social conditioning at its finest.

BeagleMommy

Re: My Almost SIL
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
Beautiful!  Kudos to you and your guy's family for putting her in her place in a very classy manner.