Author Topic: Wedding Vendors: Wanda The Wicked Witch  (Read 4600 times)

Asharah

Wedding Vendors: Wanda The Wicked Witch
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:06:29 PM »
I wanted to share my vendor from hell story with your readers. It isn't as horrible as some, but still had me in tears. When my boyfriend proposed at Christmas I was completely thrilled. We immediately set a date for early July of the next year. For many years I have know without a doubt which florist in my small southern town that I wanted to hire for my someday wedding. It's a small shop owned and run by a very talented gentleman, "Jack", whom I have know all my life. Two days after the proposal I went to Jack's shop to book him for my wedding. I didn't want to waste any time because he is very popular for weddings and usually very busy. He took my reservation and we briefly talked about some ideas. Jack ask me to come back in mid-March and we would finalize all the details. I went away convinced I was going to have the wedding of my dreams.

All plans seem to be rolling along smoothly until late February or early March. My mother received a call from Jack's mother (they have known each other for many years although they are not extremely close), Jack is seriously ill. We soon learn that Jack has multiple brain tumors and the doctors don't know if there is anything they can do for him. Over the next two-and-a-half months the news regarding Jack's health only seems to get worse. I bounce between concern for Jack, worry about my flowers, and guilt because a wedding, even mine, is so insignificant when compared to Jack's potentially life threatening illness. Jack's family tells me I should contact his assistant, she is running the shop in his absence has learned his technique and will be able to help me even if Jack is not able to be there. This is when the vendor from hell appears.

I made the call to Wanda the Wicked Witch, WWW, from my office on a Thursday afternoon. From the beginning of the conversation WWW has a "why are you bothering me" tone to her voice. I explained that I had booked Jack to do my wedding back in December, knew him personally and was aware of him medical condition, and that I had been told I should speak to her about the arrangements. WWW tells me that due to Jack's illness they are not booking any new events. So, I again explain to her that I'm not a new event and would like to talk to her about doing the flowers for my wedding. Once again WWW's only response is that they aren't booking anything new. After going through my explanation and her same response twice more I become very frustrated. I tell that I know where the phone is located in the shop and that if she will turn to her right and look at the calendar handing on the wall, turn the appropriate date in July she will find my name, in Jack's handwriting, on that date. Well apparently she finally believes me because now she tells me that if Jack's health doesn't improve soon his family is going to close the shop. I ask her if she has been advised whether to try to meet the commitments Jack has already made or refer them to another florist. WWW says that she thinks they are just going to close. I ask WWW if she has any idea when the family will make this decision, she says that she really doesn't know but thinks some time in June. It is mid-May at this time and my wedding is planned for early July. I understand the family's position of wanting to hold on to Jack's business if at all possible and their reluctance to make a decision. WWW's attitude was as if she didn't care about Jack's health or my wedding. By this point in the conversation I was very upset tearfully ask her how was I supposed to find another florist if I waited until June which would be only three weeks before my wedding. WWW's very professional response was, "Not my problem."

After spending the weekend in tears and talking with all my friends and family. I realized that everyone was saying the same thing. Quickly find a new florist. All seemed to agree that Jack would understand and would not want any of his customers to be treated in this way. The following week I booked with a new, recently opened florist who did a wonderful job. After hearing my story of woe the new florist work very hard to help me have the wedding of my dreams. When I called to cancel my booking with Jack WWW had another very profession response, " Oh, good." She then hung up on me. Addition note, Jack's tumor were treatable and after many months he was able to return to his shop only to find that he no long had a business. WWW had treated all of his customers in the same manner she treated me. Jack was forced to close the shop partly due to continuing health problems and partly due to WWW's mismanagement.    Vendors0604-03
Asharah's comment: Since the OPs Mom was acquainted with Jack's mother, I think she could have called her and tipped her off about how WWW was (mis)handling Jack's business. It might have prevented Jack's business from being totally run into the ground by the time he got back to it.
Asharah

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Wedding Vendors: Wanda The Wicked Witch
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
Poor Jack.  I wonder what he could have done about Wanda other than fire her.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Jan74

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:54:29 AM »
I'm sorry, but "potentially life-threatening illness" screamed at me. Every time you have the flu, it is a potentially life-threatening illness. Multiple brain tumors is a straight-up life-threatening illness, not just "potentially".

eltf177

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »
I felt so bad reading this. Imagine surviving all that only to find your business in ruins...

This leads me to two questions:

1) Exactly _who_ hired WWW?
2) Who (if anybody) was keeping an eye on the store and WWW to make sure things were running smoothly?

It's a pity no one contacted Jack's mother to let her know WWW was abusing the customers, a timely alert might have saved the store.

Rockie

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
How horrible for Jack and the OP (and anyone else in the OP's situation). But especially Jack...that must've been wrenching to come back to after recovering from something like that.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »
Since the bride only called Wanda because Jack's family told her to, why couldn't she then call the family back and explain that Wanda was basically shutting the business down?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Miss March

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
Since the bride only called Wanda because Jack's family told her to, why couldn't she then call the family back and explain that Wanda was basically shutting the business down?

In hindsight, I think we all wish Jack's family had known about Wanda's behavior so they might have gotten rid of her before she chased away all his business.

However, at the time this happened, the family was dealing with the crisis of Jack's health. I could just as easily picture a submission to this site saying something like "My son Jack runs a floral shop. He was in grave condition in the hospital, and a young woman called and asked me about the flowers Jack was supposed to do for her wedding in a few months. I asked her to call the business and deal with them, and turned my attention back to my son. I couldn't believe it when this same woman called me back later to complain that the sales girl had been rude to her! Really, now? I'm at my son's side in the hospital and you think now is a good time to complain about poor customer service? And the worst part is that I'm actually friendly with this girl's mother. I can't believe her daughter was such a bridezilla."

At the time this happened, the bride put her head down, got an new florist and moved forward. I don't hold her to task for not informing the family of Wanda's bad behavior.
He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing.-- George R.R. Martin

MsOverThinker

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
At the time this happened, the bride put her head down, got an new florist and moved forward. I don't hold her to task for not informing the family of Wanda's bad behavior.

I agree that the bride did all that she needed to do, but it really depends on how friendly her mother is with Jack's family as to whether she would have been judged harshly for reporting the whole incident to the family.  If she was pretty close to them, then she might have at least said, "It's odd that you told us to call WWW and she said you're shutting down Jack's business."  At which time the family might have made a time to deal with Wanda at least.  If not, then there was really nothing more they could do.

But overall, poor Jack.  Maybe close the shop, rebrand, and open anew without Wanda?