Author Topic: Kate and William to ask for charity donations - in invitations?!  (Read 5528 times)

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: Kate and William to ask for charity donations - in invitations?!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »
I would love to see the invitations to this wedding. I'm guessing they won't be married in the "style of the bride's parents?"  ;)

Since it is a state occasion, I think it would be intriguing to see the actual invitation. I imagine the Obama's will get one. I remember the Reagans did when Charles and Diana married.

As the bride's parents are millionaires, I can't see that it'll be that far off from formal. 'Commoner' doesn't always mean 'common' ;D

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 10:47:52 PM »
Since it is a state occasion, I think it would be intriguing to see the actual invitation. I imagine the Obama's will get one. I remember the Reagans did when Charles and Diana married.
actually, i don't believe that this is to be a state occasion, as William is not heir to the throne.  it has already been announced that President Obama will not be invited, nor will many heads of state.  Charles was already heir to the throne when he married Diana, thus making it a state occasion.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Lauds

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 03:13:26 AM »
Since the press already knows all of this, they won't need to bother with anything in the invitation 

But that's assumming the head of Zimbabwe or other similar countries read those press articles.

I think I can safely say that the president of Zimbabwe will NOT be getting an invitation to the wedding!

What will probably happen is that the invites won't mention anything about presents, but royal aides will let people know about the charities. People meeting royalty get advice on how to behave, I can't imagine that the same wouldn't happen for a wedding. Actually though, many foreign heads of government will probably give something representative of their country, on behalf of the country.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »
I've read reports that Princess Diana and Charles received anywhere from 4,000-6,000 gifts!  :o So in light of that possibility happening w/Kate and William, I'd say they should get a pass for asking for donations to charity. Even if they put it in their invites. While it's easy to get rid of 1 gift, it's much harder to easily get rid of thousands!

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
I've read reports that Princess Diana and Charles received anywhere from 4,000-6,000 gifts!  :o So in light of that possibility happening w/Kate and William, I'd say they should get a pass for asking for donations to charity. Even if they put it in their invites. While it's easy to get rid of 1 gift, it's much harder to easily get rid of thousands!

I feel the same way.  Standard "wedding etiquette" doesn't really apply in a case like this.  Ordinarily of course it's inappropriate to suggest charitable donations in lieu of gifts - but most of us ordinary folks don't have thousands of people that we don't even know trying to send us wedding gifts. :)

veryfluffy

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 07:00:18 AM »

I feel the same way.  Standard "wedding etiquette" doesn't really apply in a case like this.  Ordinarily of course it's inappropriate to suggest charitable donations in lieu of gifts - but most of us ordinary folks don't have thousands of people that we don't even know trying to send us wedding gifts. :)

But those people aren't being invited to the wedding -- ie the random well-wishers. The issue is putting this on the actual wedding invitations. My view is that "royalty" have a particular obligation to act correctly, keeping in mind that in the UK, what is done "at court" would then become correct etiquette for everyone else.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
I wonder what Jenna Bush's invitations were like. Anyone know?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »

since Jenna Bush Hagar was a private citizen, i don't see that it makes any difference what her wedding invitations were like.  

probably like any standard wedding invitation, Father and Mother of the bride invite you to our daughter Jenna's wedding on May 10, 2008 at Prairie Chapel Ranch.  oh yeah, and the groom's name is Henry.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:01:44 PM by still in va »

Jan74

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »

since Jenna Bush Hagar was a private citizen, i don't see that it makes any difference what her wedding invitations were like.  

probably like any standard wedding invitation, Father and Mother of the bride invite you to our daughter Jenna's wedding on May 10, 2008 at Prairie Chapel Ranch.  oh yeah, and the groom's name is Henry.

OT but the alliteration in Henry Hagar is Marvel Comic worthy.  ;D

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »
Weddings are not fundraisers, not even royal weddings.  As kind hearted as they are trying to be, directing people in how to spend their money is inappropriate, no matter how you look at it.

There is nothing wrong with them publicly stating that they support particular charities and hope that gift givers will take the hint, but that is just about all they can do and still be within the bounds of etiquette.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
Weddings are not fundraisers, not even royal weddings.  As kind hearted as they are trying to be, directing people in how to spend their money is inappropriate, no matter how you look at it.

There is nothing wrong with them publicly stating that they support particular charities and hope that gift givers will take the hint, but that is just about all they can do and still be within the bounds of etiquette.

i'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people in Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, and St. James Palace who know loads about protocol and will ensure that things are done politely.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »
I don't necessarily read the quote as saying the charities will be directly printed on the invitations, just that the information will be provided when the invitations are issued.  I imagine for a wedding like this one, there will be a whole packet of information that wouldn't come with a typical invite. :)  I give them a pass unless I see an actual invitation.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 10:34:26 PM »
I don't necessarily read the quote as saying the charities will be directly printed on the invitations, just that the information will be provided when the invitations are issued.  I imagine for a wedding like this one, there will be a whole packet of information that wouldn't come with a typical invite. :)  I give them a pass unless I see an actual invitation.

Kenvee, exactly.  i'm sure that Prince William won't do anything to embarrass his grandmother.  it's not like he has to depend upon what Miss Manners says.  he's got loads of resources at his disposal.

i don't get the inclination to tear down Kate and William about something they haven't even done yet. 

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »

I'd be pretty surpized if anyone on eHell actually sees an "actual invitation" (like, addressed to them, and not just from a blog ;D)