Author Topic: When should a poster STOP trying to convince everyone else?  (Read 9188 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: When should a poster STOP trying to convince everyone else?
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »
If a tree shouts a curse word in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, is it still rude? ;)

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:43 PM »
If a tree shouts a curse word in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, is it still rude? ;)

What, the squirrels and chipmunks don't count? ;D

Ms_Shell

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »

They don't have a leg to stand on...ever heard a squirrel cussing out a blue jay?  Fun times at 6 A.M.  ;D
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »

They don't have a leg to stand on...ever heard a squirrel cussing out a blue jay?  Fun times at 6 A.M.  ;D

But is that a fact, or just your opinion?  >:D

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »

Of course it's just an opinion.  Everyone knows that squirrels have legs.   ::)

>:D
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Ms_Shell

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »

Well played.   :)
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2011, 03:06:48 AM »
I dislike the extreme contortions sometimes used to excuse or explain rudeness. Possible explanations that don't involve complex mental gymnastics are fine, of course, but we really should be using Occam's Razor when discussing situations about which we have very little information.

Ah yes...the "What if"'s....one of my greatest annoyances. While I do believe leeway should be given where there is a definite issue I don't think that every screaming kid on earth has a developmental issue, every entitlement queen is mentally ill, etc. Some people are just rude, mean, etc. Sometimes the cigar is just a cigar.....and you should only smoke it in the smoking section of course.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2011, 12:54:22 PM »
I don't think we should tell each other how to post any more than I think we should tell others how to have a conversation, but this scenario is silly to me:

Poster X states their opinion,
Poster Y states their own opinion later
Poster X quotes Poster Y and says "I disagree" and just restates what they already said?

Is there any polite way to reply?  I don't think saying "Yes, I am aware you feel that way." is a good way to respond.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »
I don't think we should tell each other how to post any more than I think we should tell others how to have a conversation, but this scenario is silly to me:

Poster X states their opinion,
Poster Y states their own opinion later
Poster X quotes Poster Y and says "I disagree" and just restates what they already said?

Is there any polite way to reply?  I don't think saying "Yes, I am aware you feel that way." is a good way to respond.

That's my point exactly, Hanna!  I sorta feel like once you've told us what you think once, twice, or maybe even three times, that's enough.  I mean, we get it.  We may not AGREE, but we are fully capable of understanding your point of view.  There's no need to keep repeating it to every single poster who wants to contribute to the thread with their own viewpoint.  Not every post has to be rebutted with a repetition of what you think!  (generic you, of course)

Further, I think it's pretty obvious that the posts in this thread are the opinion of the person who made the post.  And I'm sure that no one here (certainly not me) really believes that expressing an opinion about the subject is any sort of mandate about what others should or should not do.  I, as are most others I'm betting, are aware that only the mods can dictate the board's rules and behaviors. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:28:21 PM by Shoo »

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »

But how do you know that particular squirrel wasn't a quadruple amputee?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2011, 01:33:44 PM »
I don't think there's a good way to respond to that type of post, though.  If someone is so completely convinced of their point of view that they feel compelled to state it over and over again, it's unlikely you're going to be able to change their mind or their behavior.

The best response, in my opinion, is to ignore it.  If you don't respond to it, then eventually they will stop.  Maybe you'll have to ignore several of the same types of posts, but honestly, that's life.

At most, I might state my intent to not argue anymore, but only if I've actually had several back and forths with someone who clearly does not agree with my viewpoint.  Even then, I often think it's better to just stop responding and let it go.  Not everyone is going to be swayed by or even listen to my viewpoints (whether they ultimately agree with me or not).

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:41 PM »
I think you are right Dindrane ~just my opinion! :-)

There probably isn't a good way to respond.  I know not everyone reads every post, so I guess I can understand why, when a new person comes along and adds to the thread another poster might feel the need to respond to them with their opinion.

For what it's worth, sometimes when I am posting I really don't feel it's just my opinion at all, but a generally accepted fact.  Of course I could be wrong, but there are times when I think I am just right about the most accepted and polite way to do something.  When I'm just posting my opinion, I use language that makes that really obvious.  So that would explain why I find posts that are clearly just an opinion but lack that kind of language frustrating.

Allyson

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »
I think that it can also happen when someone posts something, and gets a few replies that disagree, but the disagreement is based on what the poster sees as a misunderstanding. I know it's happened to me on both sides. I have really felt like, 'all right, I need to say this again because I don't think we're actually disagreeing, I just didn't get my point across'.

For example, in the thread about kids' bodily functions and Facebook, several posters said that they thought it was a problem because of lack of dignity/grossness, others said it was different when it had to do with kids. I posted that I didn't see why it made a difference that they were kids, and posters replied explaining their perspective on why talking about bodily functions of toddlers didn't have the dignity problems that it might if they were talking about an elderly relative. I actually agreed with this, and realised I should've clarified, saying that I didn't think it made a difference as to whether or not it was gross. The dignity thing, though, I did see their point. So, I can understand the desire to be like 'but...I meant this other thing, which is slightly different than what you replied to!' I usually try NOT to keep going in those cases, because my life and happiness doesn't really depend on having everyone understand exactly what I meant, but I do get the urge. And if it had been a topic more important to me, I might have kept replying.

But the other side of it is that when disagreeing with someone, hearing, 'You just don't understand!' is very frustrating, because sometimes..yeah, I do understand, I just disagree. There are times where I feel that 'not understanding' is valid, though, and it can be hard to tell which is which.