Author Topic: Chef's customer re-enactment videos  (Read 3100 times)

DCGirl

Chef's customer re-enactment videos
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
A well-known chef in Washington, DC has set up her own YouTube channel in which she and others, among other things, re-enact acts of rudeness and cluelessness by customers.  Some things she re-enacts are things that we might note and comment on here (a customer who walks up to the counter to order and holds up the line while talking on his/her cell phone, for example).  Others seem a little, well, snarkier.  At her last restaurant, she earned the permanent wrath of some parents by having a list of rules for children on the tables (i.e., all children must be seated and quiet) and every now and again her name pops up in the Washington Post restaurant critic's weekly online chat for being abrupt with customers.

Would videos like this discourage you from patronizing a restaurant?

http://dcist.com/2011/01/chef_gillian_clark_reenacts.php
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:50:55 PM by DCGirl »

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Chef's customer re-enactment videos
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:39:29 PM »
Not at all. And I love the children rules.
Words mean things.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:48:46 PM »
I watched a couple of the videos. Honestly, I don't get the big deal with some of them. Meaning, I don't really see the customer as all that rude.

The one where the husband comes in before his wife? So? She could have been driving to find a place to park, or talking on the phone, or something. I guess I don't see that as not being chivalrous.

Or the customer that asks for a recommendation, but orders something else. I guess I don't get it.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:18:14 AM »
There's no way I'd eat at a restaurant whose chef or owner did that. I think it's really mean-spirited and condescending. I really don't see the point. I think it's disgusting.

Ed.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:16 AM »
The one where the husband comes in before his wife? So? She could have been driving to find a place to park, or talking on the phone, or something. I guess I don't see that as not being chivalrous.

I think that one was because the guy left the door open and refused to shut it because his wife was "right behind him".  He should have waited for her or at the very least shut the door is what they were trying to say, I think.

I find the videos to be snarky and condescending and makes me think less of the restaurant.  That being said, I like that they have posted rules for childrens' behavior.  How sad that they should even need to do that.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:35:48 AM »

I think that one was because the guy left the door open and refused to shut it because his wife was "right behind him".  He should have waited for her or at the very least shut the door is what they were trying to say, I think.

Probably. I just didn't see it as this horrible offense. Rudeness aside, I don't actually think they are very well done, or even funny.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:38:18 AM »
Rules for children would have encouraged me to visit her restaurant, but her bizarre sense of humor and nasty videos would make me too concerned about being mocked online to even attempt a visit.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:07:24 AM »
  The list of rules for children would depend , biased on he videos and the comments I get the feeling it might have been real snaky. I'm no opposed to list for kids on principal in "home style" restaurants.  While cell phone people bother everybody and it's rude to keep staff waiting while you make a call.  Most of he others were just minnor annoyance; People who come for your famous fried chicken(they are seemingly famous for the chicken) on Sundays not knowing before hand Sundays is the day you let the poor chef who gets tired of cooking the same thing day after day be creative, or moans a bit when the menu change or who are disabled or mentally ill and conduct experiment on the not there glass, don't take your pie recommendation , forget what they ordered. It seems all she does is make fun of people and that she really hates customers, I wouldn't want to go there.

I worked with the public for years and yes there are a few people who stand out as rude , crazy , dullwitted or some combination of but after 20 years of sales I would of had a problem coming with more then 5 or 10 video ideas. You really have to like people and not let minnor annoyance get under your skin to work in the service industry.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:11:46 AM by Merry Mrs Martin »

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:19 PM »
a list of rules for children on the tables (i.e., all children must be seated and quiet)

My first assumption is that your other patrons are so low class and rude that I don't want to dine with them. My second thought is that your standards for children are so high that I suspect many adults couldn't meet the requirements, and again, I'll take my business elsewhere.

I have much the same though about the videos. Either your restaurant is attracting the worst of humanity, or your standards are way too high. I'll go where I feel my money is welcomed, not scrutinized.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:15:04 PM »
The videos would have no effect on whether or not I ate there - the quality of the food would.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »
I'd be afraid that I would be parodied for some imagined or unintentional offense.  :-[

So, I wouldn't go
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:44:45 PM »
I'd be afraid that I would be parodied for some imagined or unintentional offense.  :-[

So, I wouldn't go

This is what it is for me. Many of the things parodied just seemed like regular kind of customer service annoyances. Not horrible rudeness.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:34 PM »

So, I wouldn't go

This is what it is for me. Many of the things parodied just seemed like regular kind of customer service annoyances. Not horrible rudeness.

the chef has a long history of being something of a dictator in her restaurants, and every restaurant review site around talks about the rude staff and poor customer service, both here, and in her previous restaurant.

i watched the videos, and i get that they are parodies of customer irritations.  but when you already have a reputation for poor customer service, it's probably not a good idea to post something like this online.

padua

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
i haven't been able to find the videos, neither on youtube nor on the site listed as it said the video was disabled. does anyone have another link?

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
i haven't been able to find the videos, neither on youtube nor on the site listed as it said the video was disabled. does anyone have another link?

It appears the video has been moved to a private channel.  I think if it had started there it would have been fine but at his point I think she should hae removed them rather then just limiting access to her friends. what say all?