Author Topic: Ricky Gervais and The Golden Globes- UPDATE #57  (Read 7123 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Ricky Gervais and The Golden Globes
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
I have mixed feelings.  I think part of the problem is that some of the shots were at the foreign press themselves, even a joke about them taking bribes.  I don't get the feeling they laugh at themselves real often or find jokes about being bribed funny.  I do have to say that some of the jokes people were upset about didn't seem that bad to me.  People sted his remarks about Robert Downey Jr. but I gotta say I found Robert Downey Jr.'s commments leading up to presenting the award far more potentially insulting than what was said about him. 

I also think the GGs are supposed to be more free and easy - they sit and drink and (theoretically) eat during the awards so that probably plays a role. 

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 02:25:56 PM »
Thank you for pointing out that comment Peter.  I didn't read the article and I think that is a very nasty way to respond to the situation.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »
I have mixed feelings.  I think part of the problem is that some of the shots were at the foreign press themselves, even a joke about them taking bribes.  I don't get the feeling they laugh at themselves real often or find jokes about being bribed funny.  I do have to say that some of the jokes people were upset about didn't seem that bad to me.  People sted his remarks about Robert Downey Jr. but I gotta say I found Robert Downey Jr.'s commments leading up to presenting the award far more potentially insulting than what was said about him.  

I also think the GGs are supposed to be more free and easy - they sit and drink and (theoretically) eat during the awards so that probably plays a role.  

It's funny, because people keep talking about the Robert Downey Jr. comment, but I actually found that one funny, because I think Downey probably was OK with it. I saw his red carpet interview before the show, and he was talking about how Gwyneth Paltrow called him for her Country Song role, about how to play an alcoholic, and how he was the perfect one to ask and how many great tips he could give. So I got the sense he can laugh at himself.

One thing I saw mentioned in another article was about how many people kept joking about how nice Gervais used to be, etc., and how there's a lot of truth in sarcasm. I do wonder if he's gotten a bit meaner over time. I love "The Office" and think it used to be brilliant (IMO, it's gone way downhill and I don't watch anymore), but I'm wondering if he's always attacked celebrities in the manner he did that night.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:55:16 PM by jimithing »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 03:54:32 PM »
I think he did more or less the same thing last time and was asked back so he amped it up a notch. My guess is that he is not "hollywood" and has less than zero interest in being "one of them".

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
This is funny because on the morning show I listen to on the radio they were talking about how all of the jokes Gervais made were the pre-approved ones that he performed at the rehearsal!

Jan74

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
I didn't watch it, but I find Ricky Gervais as a whole even more offensive than Kathy Griffin. It is something in the tone, Ricky Gervais says these things in a smug superiority, even when he was taking jabs at fat people (pot, meet kettle), as in "those fatter than me", while Kathy Griffin always has that tone of desperate "I'll say anything shocking for attention!", and more of a willingness to laugh at herself as well.

So I'm not surprised he was mean, cause to me, he is always mean.

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
I think he's generally kind of a whiny jerk, and I am so sick of listening to him complain about how nobody knows he created The Office. That said, I think he was pretty funny at the Golden Globes. A jerk, but still funny. I wouldn't be surprised if he's burned some bridges as far as getting people to work on his projects, though.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
I didn't watch it, but I find Ricky Gervais as a whole even more offensive than Kathy Griffin.

Which is really saying something, because it's really really really hard to be more offensive than Kathy Griffin.  If you look up the word offensive in the dictionary, there's a picture of Kathy Griffin there.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
It's so very true. And yet, her impression of her own mother makes me fall down.

Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Jan74

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
I didn't watch it, but I find Ricky Gervais as a whole even more offensive than Kathy Griffin.

Which is really saying something, because it's really really really hard to be more offensive than Kathy Griffin.  If you look up the word offensive in the dictionary, there's a picture of Kathy Griffin there.

I know! But I watched that VH1 Divas Salute that she presented and she kept all her jokes pretty unoffensive, as it was on base. She did get the list of rules she was given from inside the waist of her hot pants, and then mocked the rules about keeping it tasteful, of course. But she got through the entire thing without offending the military or any of the artists performing, which is more than can be said for Ricky Gervais or Sarah Silverman (the "Paris Hilton joke incident" while Paris Hilton sat in the audience crying...).

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »
Kinda mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree with 'you knew what you were getting'. OTOH, dude can kiss any hope of having his work seriously considered by any body or any one he ragged on, goodbye. So all in all, I'd say, cosmic justice.

Jan74

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
Kinda mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree with 'you knew what you were getting'. OTOH, dude can kiss any hope of having his work seriously considered by any body or any one he ragged on, goodbye. So all in all, I'd say, cosmic justice.

I thought his terrible movie nobody watched had already done that.  ;D

And of course, that probably only made him more bitter about all those people who starred in successful movies. Like that Stevie Carrell. I mean, he didn't even create The Office, how dare he star in successful movies?  ::)

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:06 AM »
I have mixed feelings.  I think part of the problem is that some of the shots were at the foreign press themselves, even a joke about them taking bribes.   I don't get the feeling they laugh at themselves real often or find jokes about being bribed funny.  I do have to say that some of the jokes people were upset about didn't seem that bad to me.  People sted his remarks about Robert Downey Jr. but I gotta say I found Robert Downey Jr.'s commments leading up to presenting the award far more potentially insulting than what was said about him.

Since they are in trouble for doing that exact same thing (and this is hardly new. Hello, Pia Zadora) it does not surprise me at all that he Ricky Gervais. It's pretty common for a comedian to base their jokes on current events. Remember all the mocking of Joaquin Phoenix.

I do think he went too far. I was especially surprised at his jab at the head of the Foreign Press Association. Plus, it would have been better had he limited his jabs to celebs that have a sense of humor. Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and Angelina Jolie aren't really known for theirs.

On the other hand, expecting Ricky Gervais to "spew puppies and rainbows" is really quite naive. It woulld be like inviting Kathy Griffin and George Carlin (obviously, when he was alive) to host the Oscars and then being shocked when their jokes are less then conservative. Really, this is a case of getting exactly what they asked for.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 05:10:05 AM »
Personally, I wasn't surprised, as this is the second time he hosted, so I knew things would be interesting.  I like Ricky, but then I don't mind roast jokes, as many stars take themselves way too seriously imo. 

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 05:25:24 AM »

I thought he was great.
Some celebrities need to grow a sense of humour.
Stewart/Colbert '16