Author Topic: Ricky Gervais and The Golden Globes- UPDATE #57  (Read 7116 times)

Akarui Kibuno

Re: Ricky Gervais and The Golden Globes
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:50 AM »
And there is something about it on his blog, too :

http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

EDIT : Warning : there is a picture of Ricky Gervais in Gold underwear (longish boxer shorts) in the post.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:04:41 AM by Akarui Kibuno »
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 05:58:22 AM »

Yipes! Never mind the humour, you really should have warned everyone about the tight gold shorts he's wearing in the picture below!
NE England

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 06:03:48 AM »

Yipes! Never mind the humour, you really should have warned everyone about the tight gold shorts he's wearing in the picture below!

Oops, forgot about that part ^^;; .
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 06:10:35 AM »

Oops, forgot about that part ^^;; .

Sweeeet!   :-*
Stewart/Colbert '16

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »
Oh, and another link (safe this time :P ) where apparently the HFP actually defends him, although it's on a gossip blog (but has quotes from his blog post too) : http://www.imnotobsessed.com/2011/01/18/how-does-the-hollywood-foreign-press-really-feel-about-ricky-gervais/

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »
Speaking as someone who isn't really a Ricky Gevaris fan in general... (Okay dude! We get it! YOU created The Office! Let it go!)
Bluntness alert ahead...

The way I figure it is if you hire someone like Ricky Gevaris, you get what you pay for. He's known for that kind of humor. Is it appropriate? Who's to say. For that kind of event and in that kind of venue, I am pretty sure that anything goes and the alcohol was definitely flowing to fuel some of that.  If you don't want that kind of humor on your show, then you should hire someone else and stop serving booze as well. Plus, I can't imagine that his jokes weren't pre approved in some way. You aren't even allowed to use most of these A-listers NAMES without getting their approval first. And seeing as this is the second time he's hosted, they had to know what they were getting into.

Some of his jokes I found to be hilarious personally. Were some of them cringe worthy? Sure. But again, that's his style. It's like hiring Kathy Griffin to host and then telling her not to use the  "S" word or hiring Whoopi and telling her not to make any political statements or hiring Mel Gibson and telling him not to make any race remarks. Not. gonna. happen.  It' s not like he wasn't saying anything that wasn't true, or what we are all thinking anyway, he just said it out loud. And, he gets as well as he gives. A lot of them (Robert Downey Jr. for example (who's joke about sleeping with women was far more tasteless than anything Ricky said)) were giving it right back to him and he seemed to enjoy it. If not, I would find him as obnoxious as Joan Rivers, Whoopi, and Kathy Griffin. Those gals seem to be able to dish it out but not able take it right back. So for me, it was a pretty fair playing field. Everyone got to get their jabs in fair and square and judging from the after party pictures, it didn't really look to me like anyone was crying in their Cristal over it.

As far as the celebs that are complaining. I think they really need to get over themselves. If they are offended by the jokes Ricky was making, then they should also be offended by the tabloids as well because they certainly don't always make celebrities out to be pillars of the community. Or how about the local news who broke the story of their illicit behaviour in the first place? If you don't want a joke made about you, don't give 'em any material... know what I mean Charlie Sheen?

And let's be honest, the Golden Globes are all about politics in Hollywood, not celebrating the "performances" anyway (I could say the same thing about the Oscars but at least they try to pretend not to be). Sometimes, like this year, they actually get it right with the winners, but most of the time, it's all about the politics. The HFP is very obviously extremely political and have no sense of humor about themselves. ( I mean really? The Tourist for Best Motion Picture- Comedy or Musical? Really? And the nom of Angelina and Johnny for best actors? Did they actually WATCH the movie?) Get over yourselves guys. Your nominations alone sometimes are laughable. You should learn to laugh with us. Maybe then we could take you seriously.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:30:35 AM by Sabbyfrog2 »

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »
And what about Robert Downey Jr? I thought his saying the five women noninated for best actress whatever, had given the best performances of their life after they slept with him, was kinda vile.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
And what about Robert Downey Jr? I thought his saying the five women noninated for best actress whatever, had given the best performances of their life after they slept with him, was kinda vile.

his refernces to how he wanted to "gie it to them" "all five of you at once"  "inf front of everyone" was creepy.  And my guess is that the HFP cleared that.  Of course, they are probably more willing to forgive spousal abuse, child assault, etc from certain others than to forgive Ricky Gervais for insulting them.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »

This is why I don't think he was offended by Gervais' joke about him. Maybe he was. But really, pot meet kettle.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »

This is why I don't think he was offended by Gervais' joke about him. Maybe he was. But really, pot meet kettle.

Yeah, I actually his joke about RG was one of the wittier one's of the evening.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 04:01:23 PM »

Yeah, I actually his joke about RG was one of the wittier one's of the evening.

Oh yeah.

"Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show has been pretty good so far, wouldn't you?"  

I was rolling with laughter when I heard that. Not just because of what he said but because of the delivery. The delivery was perfect. Just deadpan and casual. Then there was this gem, "I'm just saying, if I could, I'd give it to all five of you. At once. The award! Right here. Center stage. In front of my wife, the audience, and millions of viewers." I found it funny in an inappropriate and tasteless way but then again, I have the humor of a 12 year old boy. But that's also my point. If people think he's okay for making that joke when there were clearly sexual undertones, then why on earth is Ricky's joking any worse? At least Ricky's were based on some level reality.

On a side note... Emma Stones response was just SO perfect. I love her.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:09:40 PM by Sabbyfrog2 »

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »
I quite liked a quote I saw from Anne Hathaway in USA Today on Tuesday morning.  It essentially said that she now had to rework all the jokes she had planned for the awards show she's co-hosting soon since Ricky stole all of hers.

I'm not really sure what people expected from Ricky Gervais.  I didn't watch, so I didn't see/hear any of the jokes, but that's what kind of comedian he is, so I'm not surprised to hear that he pushed the envelope and crossed the line.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 04:48:22 PM »
Here is a link to a CNN video (can't find it on CNN's site, but gawker linked to it) with bunch of celebrities defending Ricky's act.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
I like Ricky Gervais, but I thought some of his jokes' themes were really old.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
On one hand, Ricky Gervais is the king of sarcasm. If the Golden Globes people did not want someone so sarcastic hosting the ceremony, they should have hired someone else. Someone whose main claim to fame is not for being sarcastic.

On the other hand, if Ricky Gervais is so good with sarcasm, he should know that sarcasm has a time and place. And that maybe the Golden Globes presentation was not the right time and place for it. He should also know that sarcasm when overuse crosses the line into cruelty- and that he may have, since he overdid it. One would think that someone who makes a living out of using sarcasm well would not overdo it to the point of offending so many people and hurting their feelings.
I have pet mice!