Author Topic: Ricky Gervais and The Golden Globes- UPDATE #57  (Read 7061 times)

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
Re: Ricky Gervais and The Golden Globes
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
I like his humor, but this time I think some of his comments went over the line.

Not only that, some of them just did not make sense where he inserted them. Seriously - the Charlie Sheen one right off the bat? Why?

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:06 PM »
If I invite someone over to my house and I know that they tend to have sticky hands and touch everything, then I wouldn't be surprised to find sticky residue all over my stuff.

I think the GG knew exactly what was coming and thought it would make a great show, but once the complaints started rolling in they turned around on Ricky and put it squarely on him. It's their show, they control it and choose how they want the show to go. No one would hire a comedian known for such a style and then expect them not to do that style. If they wanted a bland, middle of the road man they'd get someone like Jay Leno. They would not pay a certain type of comedian and then ask them to act as bland middle man. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I've not watched the show however, so I cannot comment on whether his comments were over the top or not.
What IS over the top though, turning an award show into a revenge tactic (referring to the comment that no show of Ricky's will ever be up for nominations) then again I'm not really surprised to see an award show as just a political/bias stage  ::)

padua

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
One thing I saw mentioned in another article was about how many people kept joking about how nice Gervais used to be, etc., and how there's a lot of truth in sarcasm. I do wonder if he's gotten a bit meaner over time. I love "The Office" and think it used to be brilliant (IMO, it's gone way downhill and I don't watch anymore), but I'm wondering if he's always attacked celebrities in the manner he did that night.

i don't know that he's ever been known for being nice. has he? his show 'extras' (which i found exceptionally funny) spoofed celebrities specifically, only the celebrities were in on the joke (exaggerating their own well-known mannerisms).

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:19 AM »
I just wanted to jump in and say the ongoing jokes about "The Office" don't bother me. It has only been a year or two since he was on the red carpet at another award's show when some well-meaning-but-missed-the-mark interviewer said something like, "How are you feeling about Steve Carrell being so much more famous for the same role you did?" Honestly, she worded it about that well, too.  ::)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »
I think he did more or less the same thing last time and was asked back so he amped it up a notch. My guess is that he is not "hollywood" and has less than zero interest in being "one of them".

ITA. It's one of the reasons I love RG. He said he'd go insane next year if he was invited back, also.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:03 AM »
I think the HFP is really overreacting. I think a lot of it is being defensive because frankly, some of the things Gervais said about them hit too close to home. They HAVE taken bribes. They DO fawn over celebrities and get their pictures taken with them. The ALWAYS have at least one odd-ball nomination.

I watched the whole thing and thought it was great. Really. That's what you get when you hire Ricky Gervais.

The girls from Go Fug Yourself said that the Golden Globes are like the drunk uncle of the awards ceremonies, and they are right. Historically, the vibe has been much more relaxed. People are seated at tables and there is a bottle of champagne on each table (with refills). People were drinking ON THE RED CARPET. This is not a buttoned-up affair.

If the celebrities have problems with being skewered, then they can give back the jillions of dollars they made for doing what ultimately amounts to very little work ($10 million in 3 months!?) and go be private citizens. Otherwise, sit back and relax. Heck, even cranky (but much beloved by me) Christian Bale thought Gervais was good.

ETA: And having someone from the HFP say TO THE MEDIA that anything Gervais does from now on will not be nominated just adds more proof to the fact that they are a bit crooked.
The status is not quo!

Bethczar

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
I think the HFP is really overreacting. I think a lot of it is being defensive because frankly, some of the things Gervais said about them hit too close to home. They HAVE taken bribes. They DO fawn over celebrities and get their pictures taken with them. The ALWAYS have at least one odd-ball nomination.

I watched the whole thing and thought it was great. Really. That's what you get when you hire Ricky Gervais.

The girls from Go Fug Yourself said that the Golden Globes are like the drunk uncle of the awards ceremonies, and they are right. Historically, the vibe has been much more relaxed. People are seated at tables and there is a bottle of champagne on each table (with refills). People were drinking ON THE RED CARPET. This is not a buttoned-up affair.

If the celebrities have problems with being skewered, then they can give back the jillions of dollars they made for doing what ultimately amounts to very little work ($10 million in 3 months!?) and go be private citizens. Otherwise, sit back and relax. Heck, even cranky (but much beloved by me) Christian Bale thought Gervais was good.

ETA: And having someone from the HFP say TO THE MEDIA that anything Gervais does from now on will not be nominated just adds more proof to the fact that they are a bit crooked.

You stated everything I was thinking perfectly. What a fuss over nothing.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
Although I have enjoyed his shows (The Office and Extras), the one time I saw RG do some stand up comedy, I did not enjoy it.  There were a few funny jokes, but he seemed a little too prone to laugh at his one stuff, and I was not impressed with his timing.

On the other hand: the Golden Globes?  Like someone else here said, the drunken uncle of awards shows.  Totally meaningless fluff.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Secret

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »
My mom suggested that in public the celebrities were defending them, but privately, their publicists were denouncing Ricky Gervais performance and complaining to the HFP.  Just a thought.

Jan74

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
Who wants to come out and say "Yes, I have no sense of humor and when comedian hosts make fun of me, it really hurts my feelings?" I think in the history of celebrity-dom, the only celebrity who has ever done anything close to that was Fergie, by saying (and writing a song) about how bloggers really hurt her feelings. And 4 years later, people still make fun of her for that.

So, no wonder celebrities will defend him.  ::)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
Well, Perez Hilton is reporting that Gervais has been asked back to host next year. Guess they weren't too upset!!

http://perezhilton.com/2011-02-01-ricky-gervais-has-been-invited-back-to-host-the-golden-globes

I'm wondering if any celebrities would not come because of him.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »
Well, Perez Hilton is reporting that Gervais has been asked back to host next year. Guess they weren't too upset!!

http://perezhilton.com/2011-02-01-ricky-gervais-has-been-invited-back-to-host-the-golden-globes

Hmmmmmmm, knowing that, I might actually watch it next year. 
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

padua

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »

they probably realized all that complaining brought them a lot of free publicity.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
Re: Ricky Gervais and The Golden Globes- UPDATE #57
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 10:35:21 PM »
I could've sworn I heard that Ricky Gervais said he didn't want to host it again. Hmmm.

Ed.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Ricky Gervais and The Golden Globes- UPDATE #57
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »
He did. Just because he's been invited back doesn't mean he's going to do it.
The status is not quo!