News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Catching someone in a lie. Say something or keep silent?  (Read 9076 times)

Dark Lady B

Re: Catching someone in a lie. Say something or keep silent?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:39 AM »
This is pretty low on the Reasons-To-Be-Outraged meter, IMO.

Obviously Beth changed her mind.  People do that from time to time.  You can totally overreact and actually confront her about it, or you can just accept it and ask to friend her if you want. 

Or you can ignore it completely, which is what I would do.

Well, to be fair, I've known some people who are incredibly snobby and judgey and critical about facebook/twitter/myspace etc.  If Beth's been really obnoxious in those views I can see why the OP might be highly irritated at the hypocrisy.

POD with Larrabee.

By the way, an update: She did not accept neither my or my cousin's friend requests. In fact, she blocked the both of us from contacting her.

greenleafmountain

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »

Obviously Beth changed her mind.  People do that from time to time.  You can totally overreact and actually confront her about it, or you can just accept it and ask to friend her if you want. 

Or you can ignore it completely, which is what I would do.

Well, to be fair, I've known some people who are incredibly snobby and judgey and critical about facebook/twitter/myspace etc.  If Beth's been really obnoxious in those views I can see why the OP might be highly irritated at the hypocrisy.

POD with Larrabee.

By the way, an update: She did not accept neither my or my cousin's friend requests. In fact, she blocked the both of us from contacting her.

How ridiculous.  On the bright side, she's probably embarrassed to have been caught.  I would just drop it from here on and bask in the thought that at least you'll never have to listen to her rants against myspace anymore...

judecat

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
Really,  I hate myspace too,  really really would not even have an account,  except for the fact that I'm job hunting,  and I was told it was a good way to network.  So if personal friends kept trying to friend my,  I'd decline them too.   My sister is on myspace simply to keep in contact with her daughter's in law and her step daughters,  but she prefers phone calls and letters from the rest of her friends and family.

Larrabee

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
Really,  I hate myspace too,  really really would not even have an account,  except for the fact that I'm job hunting,  and I was told it was a good way to network.  So if personal friends kept trying to friend my,  I'd decline them too.   My sister is on myspace simply to keep in contact with her daughter's in law and her step daughters,  but she prefers phone calls and letters from the rest of her friends and family.

Does the fact that you've found a way it is useful to you not soften the hate a little bit?  Maybe other people have just found a way it works for them too, even if that's different to the way you use it?

I'm sure you don't go around criticising others for using it though, which is mainly the problem here.

judecat

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 12:27:28 AM »

Does the fact that you've found a way it is useful to you not soften the hate a little bit?  Maybe other people have just found a way it works for them too, even if that's different to the way you use it?

I'm sure you don't go around criticising others for using it though, which is mainly the problem here.

I was kind of throwing thoughts out on why the OP's friend may not have been "lieing",  or was not trying to be a Bits by not friending them.   That some times we really do have reasons for doing something that we've mentioned we hated.

marcel

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
With the information given by the OP Beth did not lie

Nowhere does the OP say that Beth told her and niece she does not have a myspace account, all she did was saying that she despises myspace. This is not the same as saying you do not have an account.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Giggity

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »

This is what I'm thinking as well.
Words mean things.

Everlee

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »

Seriously.  POD to the 10th.

A few years back I hated Facebook and refused to do anything on it because it was so annoying and now I have no Myspace and am on Facebook all the time.
Someone saying they hate Myspace yet having one is no reason to be angry.  I would just be amused over it.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
Yes, it's annoying, but I would let it go.  You've already posted the dreaded PA vague status update...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Larrabee

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »

A few years back I hated Facebook and refused to do anything on it because it was so annoying and now I have no Myspace and am on Facebook all the time.
Someone saying they hate Myspace yet having one is no reason to be angry.  I would just be amused over it.

I don't think its very polite for people to keep so emphatically telling the OP she shouldn't be irritated.  She is irritated, I understand why and I'd be irritated too!

Has nobody ever come across the horribly superior attitude that some people have towards social network sites?  That they're so trivial and 'beneath them' and intelligent people with real lives would never consider using them etc etc?  I knew someone who was an incredible snob about facebook, terribly insulting to people who used it for things such as chat, games and to share baby pictures yet thought it was fine for them to post photographs of their latest travels to far flung places. 

The fact that its about myspace/facebook isn't the issue to me, its the hypocrisy and the superiority issues.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
Well, it's not lying, but it is hypocritical. It's like the person who makes a big deal about how bad fast food is, and acts like there's something wrong with you for eating it, and then you find them nomming down a big mac in private.

Pointing out the hypocricy (or at least making them aware that you are aware of it) will at least have the effect of maybe getting them to tone down future rants.

Everlee

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 06:54:53 PM »

I don't think its very polite for people to keep so emphatically telling the OP she shouldn't be irritated.  She is irritated, I understand why and I'd be irritated too!

Has nobody ever come across the horribly superior attitude that some people have towards social network sites?  That they're so trivial and 'beneath them' and intelligent people with real lives would never consider using them etc etc?  I knew someone who was an incredible snob about facebook, terribly insulting to people who used it for things such as chat, games and to share baby pictures yet thought it was fine for them to post photographs of their latest travels to far flung places. 

The fact that its about myspace/facebook isn't the issue to me, its the hypocrisy and the superiority issues.

It's not the fact that she's irritated, it's how much she's irritated over it that's rubbing us the wrong way, I think.  To be so angry that she would post a PA status update about it and then send her a friend request
anyway is just taking it overboard IMO.
I mean, who cares if someone doesn't like networking sites?  Personally I hate them all, too.  But I have to way of keeping in contact with a bunch of friends that way so I use them.  So yeah, you'll hear me complain about how invasive and time-sucking they are when I'm one of the worst culprits. 

Larrabee

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »

It's not the fact that she's irritated, it's how much she's irritated over it that's rubbing us the wrong way, I think.  To be so angry that she would post a PA status update about it and then send her a friend request
I mean, who cares if someone doesn't like networking sites?  Personally I hate them all, too.  But I have to way of keeping in contact with a bunch of friends that way so I use them.  So yeah, you'll hear me complain about how invasive and time-sucking they are when I'm one of the worst culprits. 

Then you're a hypocrite too, but it seems like you're ok with that!

The issue is that when you criticise the site as a whole then people who use it a lot and enjoy it feel as though you're criticising them personally and the way they choose to spend their time.  I barely use my facebook account, I don't love it I don't hate it, but I am really bothered by people who are snitty and snobby about it.  If you don't personally enjoy, say, golf or video games would you go around proclaiming loudly that they're a stupid waste of time?

boxy

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »
I think it depends on how you handle it.  I wouldn't say "Gotcha" when I sent the request, but you could say "Hey, Beth!  I see you're giving the MySpace thing a shot.  This will be a great way to stay in touch!" (Even if it's obvious she's been active for a while.)

It still might have a slight air of "gotcha," but it's giving her the benefit of the doubt and letting her save face.  But I'd take down the status on honesty first if she will recognize it is directed at her.
POD.  I think this is a very kind way to phrase things and allows her to save face.

Dark Lady B

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 05:59:39 AM »

Excuse me, but I think we have reached a consensus here. Thank you.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.