News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:28:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Catching someone in a lie. Say something or keep silent?  (Read 9077 times)

Ms_Shell

Re: Catching someone in a lie. Say something or keep silent?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 06:04:38 AM »
OP, if you'd like to close the thread, it'd be best to PM a moderator and ask them to lock it.  Otherwise it's not possible to keep people from posting. 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Nora

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 07:25:38 AM »
I doubt she has to do as much, as I can't imagine it'll stay open very long after the last couple of snarks.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 07:38:49 AM »
This is pretty low on the Reasons-To-Be-Outraged meter, IMO.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

Seriously.  POD to the 10th.

A few years back I hated Facebook and refused to do anything on it because it was so annoying and now I have no Myspace and am on Facebook all the time.
Someone saying they hate Myspace yet having one is no reason to be angry.  I would just be amused over it.

I don't think its very polite for people to keep so emphatically telling the OP she shouldn't be irritated.  She is irritated, I understand why and I'd be irritated too!

Has nobody ever come across the horribly superior attitude that some people have towards social network sites?  That they're so trivial and 'beneath them' and intelligent people with real lives would never consider using them etc etc?  I knew someone who was an incredible snob about facebook, terribly insulting to people who used it for things such as chat, games and to share baby pictures yet thought it was fine for them to post photographs of their latest travels to far flung places. 

The fact that its about myspace/facebook isn't the issue to me, its the hypocrisy and the superiority issues.

It's not the fact that she's irritated, it's how much she's irritated over it that's rubbing us the wrong way, I think.  To be so angry that she would post a PA status update about it and then send her a friend request
anyway is just taking it overboard IMO.
I mean, who cares if someone doesn't like networking sites?  Personally I hate them all, too.  But I have to way of keeping in contact with a bunch of friends that way so I use them.  So yeah, you'll hear me complain about how invasive and time-sucking they are when I'm one of the worst culprits. 

Excuse me, but I think we have reached a consensus here. Thank you.

I don't think we have a "consensus" here. Being told you're somehow lacking for enjoying X, and then discovering that person also enjoys X is annoying because of the hipocracy.

It's one thing to say "Gah! I hate FB, I waste so much time there!", and quite another thing to say "FB is such a time waster, people who use it are morons" and then discover that person is updating hourly.

Am I the only one who sees the difference?

Dark Lady B

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »
No. I SAY that we have reached a consensus here. I, being the original poster of this thread, have solved the problem and reached a consensus. Now, if I must, I will contact the moderator and have this thread locked because a bigger problem has come into my life now. Which is a man who has forced me into a friendship on same said website and this has become an offline issue, since I am now trapped in this unwanted friendship. I believe I have posted a thread on this issue in the "I need a hug" section. Now, maybe all of you who are arguing can use your pent-up energy to help me on that thread than waste it arguing on this thread. Good day to you all.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »
No. I SAY that we have reached a consensus here. I, being the original poster of this thread, have solved the problem and reached a consensus. Now, if I must, I will contact the moderator and have this thread locked because a bigger problem has come into my life now. Which is a man who has forced me into a friendship on same said website and this has become an offline issue, since I am now trapped in this unwanted friendship. I believe I have posted a thread on this issue in the "I need a hug" section. Now, maybe all of you who are arguing can use your pent-up energy to help me on that thread than waste it arguing on this thread. Good day to you all.

Oh. Well then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDEdKzAZgko&feature=related

;D

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »

I'll lock this thread but not before I have a few words to the wise for you. It's fine if you want to disengage from your own thread, but there are more diplomatic ways to do so than basically telling everyone to butt out because you've made a decision, or something more important has risen, etc. And that would be to merely state "Thanks for the advice, it's been dealt with" rather than be nasty, which is, frankly, how you're coming across whether you intend to or not. This especially applies when one is asking for help on another matter in another thread. It's all about vinegar v honey.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.