Author Topic: Kate and William Fax Save the Dates  (Read 2898 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Kate and William Fax Save the Dates
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »
I think there will probably be several Kate and William threads in the upcoming months.

I heard about this on the radio this morning:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20029613-10391698.html

Apparently, K&W sent out approximately 1,800 STD invitations via fax. A spokesperson said that this is the most efficient way to send them out, and that they have used faxes for other large scale events.

This does seem rather informal to me, for a royal wedding, but I can see how STDs, are more informal anyway. I think the main concern is how many people really own a fax machine anymore?

ETA- Edited to correct the number. They will be sending out 1,800 actual invitations. The article doesn't mention how many STDs were sent.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:24:38 PM by jimithing »

Ms_Shell

Re: Kate and William Fax Save the Dates
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »
At least they didn't send out Evites.  :)
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »
*headdesk*

It's a royal wedding! Come on! He's the bloody future king of England! Get thee to a stationer!
The status is not quo!

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
That's really really tacky.

I actually would prefer an email since at least you can say you're saving paper that way.  A fax still will print on paper plus the print quality will be awful in comparison to a printed and mailed version or an email.

Really, you're the royal family.  There are companies that do these mailings for you.  Give them some work and add a little class to your celebration. 
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

hardia

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »
William and Kate didn't send out 1,800 save the dates by fax.  The prince's office/secretary sent faxes to the offices/secretaries of the other major royal houses telling them of the date and asking them to coordinate with their calendars and indicate availability, since the protocol of dealing with heads of state/royalty is very complicated and finicky (who sits where, who is seated before who, etc.). 

1,800 is the number of formal invitations that will be sent out in a few weeks.

Ontario, Canada

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »
I cannot believe I am actually about to say something vaguely positive about our monarchy (not exactly a common occurrence with me, to put it mildly :P), but here goes.

It's a very high-profile wedding, in the middle of a grim recession, with an insane amount of administration/paperwork to be done: every single aspect of their expenditure is going to be scrutinised and criticised to within an inch of its life (mainly by grumpy people like me, who think that them running off for a quiet civil ceremony somewhere would be a far wiser use of taxpayers' money ;)). Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I honestly don't see any problem with faxing the save-the-dates. It's cheap, it's efficient, it's straightforward.

I think the main concern is how many people really own a fax machine anymore?

We do have a fax machine at work which sees daily use, although we have unaccountablyfailed to receive our K&W STD as yet. ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:25:53 PM by Ferrets »

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »
William and Kate didn't send out 1,800 save the dates by fax.  The prince's office/secretary sent faxes to the offices/secretaries of the other major royal houses telling them of the date and asking them to coordinate with their calendars and indicate availability, since the protocol of dealing with heads of state/royalty is very complicated and finicky (who sits where, who is seated before who, etc.). 

1,800 is the number of formal invitations that will be sent out in a few weeks.

You are right about the number. I will amend my OP. The article didn't say who exactly sent them or who received them, so I'm not sure about that part.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Hardia: That is what my thought was when I saw this. It is actually very common to arrange everything ahead of time with the staff of other heads of state/royals as their calenders book up very quickly.

I am pretty sure they will be following established protocol on this and the invites will actually be coming from the Queen and Prince Philip not from the couple themselves or the bride's family. It is very complicated with invites, in many cases there is protocol that says X person will be invited but it also says they will decline it. There are also people who protocol says must be invited and they do not have the option to decline (unless they have a VERY good reason ie: dead or nearly so).  If their staff says that there are major conflicts, they will simply not be sent invite but it is known by all that the reason is due to that conflict so that no protocol breach is made.

LaciGirl007

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
So Kate and William are distributing STDs, huh?   >:D

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
Hardia: That is what my thought was when I saw this. It is actually very common to arrange everything ahead of time with the staff of other heads of state/royals as their calenders book up very quickly.

I am pretty sure they will be following established protocol on this and the invites will actually be coming from the Queen and Prince Philip not from the couple themselves or the bride's family. It is very complicated with invites, in many cases there is protocol that says X person will be invited but it also says they will decline it. There are also people who protocol says must be invited and they do not have the option to decline (unless they have a VERY good reason ie: dead or nearly so).  If their staff says that there are major conflicts, they will simply not be sent invite but it is known by all that the reason is due to that conflict so that no protocol breach is made.

I agree.

Julia S

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:01:55 PM »
I cannot believe I am actually about to say something vaguely positive about our monarchy (not exactly a common occurrence with me, to put it mildly :P), but here goes.

It's a very high-profile wedding, in the middle of a grim recession, with an insane amount of administration/paperwork to be done: every single aspect of their expenditure is going to be scrutinised and criticised to within an inch of its life (mainly by grumpy people like me, who think that them running off for a quiet civil ceremony somewhere would be a far wiser use of taxpayers' money ;)). Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I honestly don't see any problem with faxing the save-the-dates. It's cheap, it's efficient, it's straightforward.

As a UK taxpayer: Agreed! :P

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »

As a UK taxpayer: Agreed! :P
Not a UK taxpayer myself, but I totally agree with this.

There's no etiquette requirement as to how the save-the-date is sent, is there?
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »

I don't live in the UK, but I'm inclined to agree with your assessment.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
I think this is more along the line of "my secretary is contacting your secretary to pass info on" than a Save the Date.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »
I'm not surprised. A librarian at my old college was friends with Philip. She was invited to one of his events via email. This was in 2002.