Author Topic: Kate and William Fax Save the Dates  (Read 2892 times)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
Re: Kate and William Fax Save the Dates
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
I think this is more along the line of "my secretary is contacting your secretary to pass info on" than a Save the Date.
That's all that's required of a save the date, which is still an "extra" to the invitation itself. They aren't required, or required to be in a certain form.

Or am I wrong about this? We did not actually use them ourselves.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 11:52:09 PM »
William and Kate didn't send out 1,800 save the dates by fax.  The prince's office/secretary sent faxes to the offices/secretaries of the other major royal houses telling them of the date and asking them to coordinate with their calendars and indicate availability, since the protocol of dealing with heads of state/royalty is very complicated and finicky (who sits where, who is seated before who, etc.). 

Exactly. The etiquette of private citizens cannot be compared to the handling of the marriage of a Monarch or Head of State.    I'm betting the Lord Chamberlain's Office has a handle on proper protocol.

Anyway, my social secretary informed me just now when I inquired that this is standard and he is always more than happy to receive this information via whatever mechanism it is delivered. ;)

Weez

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 04:03:48 AM »
These don't really sound like 'save the dates' though, more admin.
Plus, for UK taxpayers, if it makes you feel any better, we're only paying for security on the day- the actual ceremony and reception are being paid for by the Queen and Prince Charles. Although I believe Kate's parents will pay for the dress.

I've just scared myself by knowing this. Is it made better that I only read 'Hello' when I'm at the hairdresser?!

marcel

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 05:12:23 AM »
They sound exactly like save the date, because that is what every Save the date is. admin and nothing else.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Larrabee

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »
Plus, for UK taxpayers, if it makes you feel any better, we're only paying for security on the day- the actual ceremony and reception are being paid for by the Queen and Prince Charles. Although I believe Kate's parents will pay for the dress.

I've just scared myself by knowing this. Is it made better that I only read 'Hello' when I'm at the hairdresser?!

Who pays them though!  ;)

Julia S

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:00:35 AM »

It doesn't. :P

As Larrabee said, the State (i.e.: the taxpayer) pays the Queen and Prince Charles (though PC also earns an income through his Duchy products). Besides, they have a 'personal fortune' that could easily pay for security as well. Just as anyone else would have to, if they organised an event large enough to need security.

Weez

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 08:22:23 AM »
the actual ceremony and reception are being paid for by the Queen and Prince Charles.

To be picky, all of the Royals do actually pay tax now, so does that mean they pay themselves?   :P

You do have a fair point though, but the royal family do bring a lot of money into the UK from tourists etc.  Sorry, I don't have the actual figures to hand, but I know the local tourist board did publish figures a couple of years ago. 

I'm not a staunch royalist, which makes me wonder why I'm defending them here  ;), but I do have a fair amount of respect for one or two of them - particularly the Queen - I wouldn't want her job for any amount of money!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Well considering save the dates are not required by etiquette anyway, I fail to see how it could be considered rude or tacky to send them so informally. Normal brides and grooms have it hard enough navigating the wedding planning without people scrutinizing everything they do looking for tackiness or rudeness. What William and Kate are going to have to endure is ridiculous.

POD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I feel horrible for them already! 

Larrabee

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
the actual ceremony and reception are being paid for by the Queen and Prince Charles.

To be picky, all of the Royals do actually pay tax now, so does that mean they pay themselves?   :P

You do have a fair point though, but the royal family do bring a lot of money into the UK from tourists etc.  Sorry, I don't have the actual figures to hand, but I know the local tourist board did publish figures a couple of years ago. 

I'm not a staunch royalist, which makes me wonder why I'm defending them here  ;), but I do have a fair amount of respect for one or two of them - particularly the Queen - I wouldn't want her job for any amount of money!

Me either, in fact it seems to me that it borders on cruelty that we continue to expect this one family to carry out an incredibly public role, for their entire lives, that they had no choice in and that seems to prevent them from pursuing other dreams they may have or ever having a moment of anonymity. 

If it was a new idea, nobody would entertain it for a second.

Weez

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 12:00:12 AM »
I completely agree with you, Larabee.

Lauds

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 04:34:08 AM »

It doesn't. :P

As Larrabee said, the State (i.e.: the taxpayer) pays the Queen and Prince Charles (though PC also earns an income through his Duchy products). Besides, they have a 'personal fortune' that could easily pay for security as well. Just as anyone else would have to, if they organised an event large enough to need security.

Not to mention the income from the Duchy of Cornwall itself. I'm not sure it would even be possible for them to pay for the security. It is the type of event where it has to be done by the state, they are the only organisation with the numbers and the experience to cope, and I don't know that private citizens would be able to contribute to the cost, even if they wanted to.

With regards to the faxes it does seem to me more like dealing with the formalities of a state occasion, than with the wedding itself. I have also heard before what someone else mentioned - you aren't actually invited/offered anything to do with the monarchy until they know you will agree! I think I heard it in the context of titles - you are not offered a knighthood or other honour, you are asked if you would accept it, then when you confirm that you would, you are offered it. Same sort of thing here, I would imagine.

Shopaholic

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 05:51:10 AM »
I was much more bothered by how un-environmentally aware it is to fax something.
If you're going the informal route - use e-mail.
I thought Prince Charles was very much into environmental conservation, this is disappointing.

(Said the person who cancelled her subscription to the national Nature Conservation Society because they refused to send me info by email, said they only use fax or snail mail.)

Barney girl

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
I was much more bothered by how un-environmentally aware it is to fax something.
If you're going the informal route - use e-mail.
I thought Prince Charles was very much into environmental conservation, this is disappointing.

(Said the person who cancelled her subscription to the national Nature Conservation Society because they refused to send me info by email, said they only use fax or snail mail.)

If it's anything like our fax system, it appears on my computer screen as a pdf and I choose whether or not to print.

In relation to saving the date.  There was an article in my mother's paper about how difficult it was to get very heads of state to respond when Princess Alexandra was married. I think there was one who didn't reply until the week before the wedding!