Author Topic: Eggplant Parm?  (Read 1021 times)

CynthiaBelle

Eggplant Parm?
« on: June 25, 2007, 12:36:35 PM »
I'm looking for a 'tried and true' eggplant parm recipe.

Anyone know one??

kkl123

Re: Eggplant Parm?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:53:57 PM »
Cooks Illustrated has a very good one, using baked eggplant slices and breadcrumbs, marinara sauce and parmesan.  It's a tedious recipe to retype, but if you're not opposed to a "free trial membership" on the website (it really is free): <http://www.cooksillustrated.com/login.asp?did=1527&LoginForm=recipe&iseason=5> (search for "eggplant parmesan" if it doesn't display immediately). Also, this is one where you really need to grate your own parmesan... the dry parmesan next to the jarred spaghetti sauce really doesn't do it.

Snag the recipe for stir-fried eggplant with chili and garlic while you're at it. :-)

NotCinderell

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:59:25 AM »
Musing on whether or not to share DH's authentic Italian family recipe...I'll have to ask permission on this one...

edenparadox

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:29:15 PM »
Eggplant parm is pretty easy. You just need a good tomato sauce.

Slice the eggplant length or width wise into about quarter inch slices. I find width-wise is easier cause it fits better in the pan. Sprinkle with salt and weigh down in a colander so the bitter stuff comes out.

Egg and bread crumb the eggplant lightly (you don't want the batter to be thick) then fry it off in batches in olive oil till nicely golden brown and crisped up.

Spoon enough sauce into the dish you are using to cover the bottom, then layer the eggplant, more sauce, mozzarella cheese, eggplant, sauce, cheese, etc until the last layer which should be mozzarella and parmesan cheese. You can also sprinkle some bread crumbs on the cheese. Bake it off in a 350 degree oven until the whole thing is golden and bubbly.

I would also suggest throwing in some fresh herbs, like basil, somewhere in the middle.