News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 09:59:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need Help with Techies  (Read 4287 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Need Help with Techies
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
I am having an issue and am a bit perplexed on how to go about it at work.

I am pretty technical. I have worked with computers for most of my career, and it's been longer than 15 years, so I know the ins and outs of a lot of different programs. I'm also very familiar with the operations of office equipment.

Whenever I call tech support over here to come and fix something, they automatically assume I don't know anything about technology and insist on giving me fixes that I've already tried. They do this every time. Even though I tell them that I already tried that. It's getting so that when I make a help desk call for something, I end up going 5 or 6 rounds with the person before the issue gets fixed. It's annoying to me, and I'm sure it's annoying to them as well. There is also a language barrier involved, as my entire organization is almost another group who are not entirely fluent in English, so whenever I place a techology based request, I always do it via e-mail.

I realize that IT and tech support help folks have to deal with some people who don't know anything about technology, and they need to assume that the person they are speaking with is that person for simplicity's sake. I'm not that person, though.

Is there a way I can head this off at the pass in a polite way? I'm sure they don't want me to be going round and round with them and I'd like to avoid the entire thing.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Need Help with Techies
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Twice, it has taken me three phone calls to convice the tech that "it won't turn on, I've tried rebooting it already" before I was able to convince them that I was capable of turning the computer off and back on - but if the screen is still BLACK, then the computer is not working (both computers were sent back to their respective manufacturers - but it took three or more phone calls to go up the line to the second and third tier techs).

I had a second computer next to me - the second time I got sent a special "diagnostic" file to put on a flash drive and run so that the guy on the phone would know what was going on.............he thought I should hang up and call back.  I insisted on keeping him on the phone until he LISTENED when I told him that the computer was still not booting up and I had tried three times with the flash drive, copied it to a CD & tried again - NOTHING was happening...............

It is almost like they are so sure that everyone who calls in is an idjit that they aren't really listening............although a couple of the techs did have a heav accent and there might also have been an issue with them not understanding me - as I am pretty sure the "it's not doing anything - all I can see on the screen is my own reflection as the laptop is NOT booting up" was not on their decision tree script.

But I did get both of them fixed............eventually..........

I also learned that even telling the tech that you've already unplugged the modem, unplugged the router, plugged the computer directly into the modem, and you still aren't getting a connection doesn't guarantee that they won't walk you through the same series of steps (twice) while they are on the phone - and clearly expecting you to reply "yes. it's working NOW" after they have followed the sequence of events that you just told them you'd already done.

While we were on the phone, they got a trouble ticket and updated - the IPS had damage of some kind with a repair crew on site - so I finally found out that it was not MY connection...........it was the neighborhood's connection.

But I could go on for hours about just the events since we moved here in 2005............previous ISPs, computers, and software companies would triple the time spent telling you that I've BTDT and the t-shirts are worn out.

In short, write down the issue, make sure that YOU are using the correct terms, and get a refreshing beverage - because it may take a while and you will want to keep your temper.  Also - make sure that you won't need a bio or family break any time soon.............snack, bathroom, cordless phone (just in case - headphones will let the family members walking up behind you know that you are busy and ON THE PHONE), and whatever else it takes (notepad, pencil, possibly a flash drive or blank disk - a second WORKING computer just in case they have to send you something by email or direct you to a link for diagnostic software)............

Good luck.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Jan74

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
Unless you start your call by saying "I've already rebooted etc.", we will tell you to reboot.

I work tech support and it is a habit thing. We will start with the easiest fixes. But when I call my ISP and need their support, for example, I start by stating "I have turned off the modem for 1m, turned it back on, and restarted the computer. The modem admin page shows that I'm having package loss pretty steadily". Saying stuff like that makes them skip the "Have you tried rebooting it?" part.

I'll be honest, even with the clients I deal with that are fairly tech savvy - even the ones running technology businesses - the easy fix works 90% of the time. So that is what we'll rec, unless we know for sure you've already tried it. Oh, and if people say "Reboot one more time", please do it. Don't pretend to do it cause you think a second reboot will do nothing, or start calling the tech support person an ignorant monkey for suggesting something you've already tried. Quite often, it will.

Jan74

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »
VorFemme, that kind of tech you're talking about is really just going through a script of steps they must follow. They don't have the training or the authority to think for themselves.

It sounds like MamaMootz is dealing with techs like me, though, so it is a different situation.

With the script types, all you can do is wait for them to finish the script, until they finally send you to a higher level person.

MamaMootz

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
This is the exchange from today that prompted this post:

Me: Hi, I need to be able to have XYZ's extension forwarded to my line as he has left the company and I'm his backup until a new hire is made to replace him.

Tech Support: Why do you need access to his phone line?

Me: Because he left the company and I'm taking over his role until a replacement is hired.

Tech Support: But we've already transferred his phone line over to you.

Me: No, the phone line is still going right into his voicemail.

Tech Support: ARe you sure? Have you called his extension?

Me: Yes, multiple times from different phones and it's going right into his voicemail. The call needs to come to my phone line.

Tech Support: Have you called his extension from different phones?

Me: Yes. And it's not forwarding to my line.

Tech Support: Hold on, let ME try calling the extension.

I hold on, patiently. Biting my tongue.

Tech Support: Oh, his line is forwarding right to voicemail. Why didn't you say so?

I don't know if there IS a way to avoid this politely. It's very frustrating.

Jan74

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »

Me: Hi, I need to be able to have XYZ's extension forwarded as he has left the company and I'm his backup until a new hire is made to replace him.

Me: Because he left the company and I'm taking over his role until a replacement is hired.

Me: Yes, multiple times from different phones and it's going right into his voicemail. The call needs to come to my phone line.

Tech Support: Oh, his line is forwarding right to voicemail. Why didn't you say so?

It is frustrating, but please realize, my clients lie to me blatantly. On a daily basis. They say they've tested it. They say they can't email but Google works fine. They say they've tried it. They say they just rebooted.

So we get in a habit of double-checking stuff, and testing for ourselves. For example, out of every 10 calls of someone who tells me they can't connect to email server, I see 7 of them connected and sending an email from the server side, during the call. So the first thing I do is check, cause I don't believe them.

Working tech support gives you the same view of people that Dr. House has of patients. Everybody lies etc.

Also, it could be a peculiarity with your phone, not with his, so him testing also serves to rule that out.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
not a computer tech but a TV tech -- face palm moment

the tv was not working -- snow -- nothing else

Mom was on the phone with the cable people -- when the cat walked out from behind the tv stand

TRAILING THE TV CABLE ON HER TAIL.....

me to Mom -- you need to hang up

Mom to me -- but the tv doesn't work I need to get someone to fix it

Me to Mom - waving the cable around - I can fix this one myself

(opps)  After a couple more times of this I duct taped the stupit cable to the stand
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Marguette

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

Me: Hi, I need to be able to have XYZ's extension forwarded as he has left the company and I'm his backup until a new hire is made to replace him.

It is frustrating, but please realize, my clients lie to me blatantly. On a daily basis. They say they've tested it. They say they can't email but Google works fine. They say they've tried it. They say they just rebooted.

So we get in a habit of double-checking stuff, and testing for ourselves. For example, out of every 10 calls of someone who tells me they can't connect to email server, I see 7 of them connected and sending an email from the server side, during the call. So the first thing I do is check, cause I don't believe them.

Working tech support gives you the same view of people that Dr. House has of patients. Everybody lies etc.

Also, it could be a peculiarity with your phone, not with his, so him testing also serves to rule that out.

Granted all that, but it’s no excuse or reason for the “Why didn’t you say so?” Then it makes you wonder if he was listening to anything else MamaMootz said.

Bramble

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 04:50:45 PM »

Granted all that, but it’s no excuse or reason for the “Why didn’t you say so?” Then it makes you wonder if he was listening to anything else MamaMootz said.

He's probably trying to express that MamaMootz sounded like she was making a duplicate request of a ticket that was already completed.  She makes a request, he looks in the system and see the system says its already been done, and thinks she just doesn't realize its been done already.  The first half of the conversation could have been avoided if she'd started off with "A request was made to forward XYZ's extension, but its still going straight to voicemail."  That frames it as the original request wasn't completed correctly instead of it just being a redundant request.

Hanna

• RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
Unfortunately, it's like Jan74 says, trying to change this is like blowing against the wind.

Unless you can get all of the non-tech world to change their habits, too.

Even us tech people have to deal with these kinds of conversations and questions when trying to get support on our own stuff.  You should hear me on the phone about my internet connection when it goes down.  They talk to me like I'm a n00b.

Example:
Dude in a truck hit a phone pole outside the office where I worked, knocking out our internet access.  At an internet based company.  Network guy calls cable company.  They make us dance a jig that added an extra hour to confirm the line was really knocked down and we didn't have an internal equipment issue before agreeing to deploy someone to fix it.  It was laying in the street!

Hanna

• RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »
VorFemme, that kind of tech you're talking about is really just going through a script of steps they must follow. They don't have the training or the authority to think for themselves.

It sounds like MamaMootz is dealing with techs like me, though, so it is a different situation.

With the script types, all you can do is wait for them to finish the script, until they finally send you to a higher level person.
Besides that, I can't tell you how many times I've walked through steps people swear they already performed only to have things magically work!

One can't really troubleshoot something properly by picking up where someone else left off.
You need to start at the beginning.

There's something about being a technical person that is like magic, too. Something that doesn't work right for the user often works perfectly once I do it myself.

The phone issue is a communication thing, though.  Some tech people are better listeners than others. Good IT management will encourage staff to listen and to always treat users with respect.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:06:10 PM by Hanna »

MamaMootz

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »

He's probably trying to express that MamaMootz sounded like she was making a duplicate request of a ticket that was already completed.  She makes a request, he looks in the system and see the system says its already been done, and thinks she just doesn't realize its been done already.  The first half of the conversation could have been avoided if she'd started off with "A request was made to forward XYZ's extension, but its still going straight to voicemail."  That frames it as the original request wasn't completed correctly instead of it just being a redundant request.

Part of the issue is also the fact that my department doesn't communicate with me. So my manager could have put in a request to have the phone line forwarded but didn't tell anyone. So my VP will come to me and say "make sure you have XYZ's phone line forwarded to yours" and I'll treat it like a new request because AFAIK, it hasn't yet been requested. And Manager forgets what he's requested, so he'll often request something forget he requested it and then ask me to create a new request.

Jan74

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »

No, it definitely doesn't excuse the "Why didn't you say so?". I'd never say such a thing, even if I do wish the client had said so, like the people who say the computer won't work and fail to mention there is no power. Yes, it truly happens.  ::) But I don't say that kind of stuff to them, I just roll my eyes, wait until they hang up, laugh profusely, then tell a bunch of my friends so they can laugh too.

Hanna

• RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »
MamaMootz do you have helpdesk software where you/IT can look up what your VP has requested?
If not, I would treat every request like it's a possible dupe. Ask them if it's been submitted before making the request.

Jan74

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »

Besides that, I can't tell you how many times I've walked through steps people swear they already performed only to have things magically work!

One can't really troubleshoot something properly by picking up where someone else left off.
You need to start at the beginning.

There's something about being a technical person that is like magic, too. Something that doesn't work right for the user often works perfectly once I do it myself.

The phone issue is a communication thing, though.  Some tech people are better listeners than others. Good IT management will encourage staff to listen and to always treat users with respect.

I've also had people who swear it is not their internet fail to do anything I tell them, pretending the whole way, then say "Ha ha! I knew I was right, I didn't do anything of what you told me and it came back! So it was totally your fault there, not my problem here!" and not realize that the fact that it went away by itself pretty much proves my point it was their internet.  ::)

This is the kind of job that makes you die a little inside, a bit at a time. I've been yelled at for being female. I've been told I don't know the difference between a byte and my [donkey], from someone who was mad that he had emailed his own domain name wrongly, with a typo [Let's not start to get into the whole "Pot, meet kettle" issue, even if I did in fact did not know what a byte was...). I could go on and on.

Also, contrary to telemarketing people who just wanna sell you stuff, we genuinely want to help and solve your problem.