Author Topic: Snow, awesome neighbors and pie...  (Read 1068 times)

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
Snow, awesome neighbors and pie...
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »
I live on a dead-end street with about 1/2 a dozen neighbors just on my block. We all have very diverse views on religion, politics and other hot button topics.

Fortunately, none of that has ever really gotten in the way of being good neighbors. (We'll hang out together every now and again.)

Take today for example. Once more we have snow. Not a dusting, but a heavy gloppy mess. The kind of snow that kills people.

Yesterday after the first storm, my neighbor shovels our driveway and front steps. He was out anyway and figured he'd just work his way down the block.

Today, it's my turn (DH is sick and someone has to stay inside with LittleOxy), and that same neighbor's wife comes out and helps me. So with the help of the snowblower (I needed her help to haul it out of the shed), we then went and shoveled out other neighbors, especially the older ones.

And to say thanks, one of those neighbors helped me clean off our cars and gave us pies as "thank yous."

This is one of those days that gives me hope.  ;D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Snow, awesome neighbors and pie...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
There is something about big snowstorms that bring neighbours together. 

In my neighbourhood, we do help each other out sometimes but often, we just kibitz with each other as we clear our own driveways.  I live in a very snowy area so almost everyone has a snowblower.  But if someone has a breakdown or needs gas, someone else steps up pronto.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
Re: Snow, awesome neighbors and pie...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
Last year we lived further north (northern VA) and there was that one weekend we got 33 inches of snow in one weekend.  Knowing the snow was coming, and also wanting one last fun trip before our third child was born, DH and I threw our daughters into the car and hightailed it up to our favorite ski resort for the weekend.  We took along a shovel and other snow clearing stuff, figuring that when we returned we'd leave the girls in the car, shovel a path from the street to our door (a very short distance -- townhome community), get the kids inside, and then come out and clear our driveway.  Imagine our delight when we got back and discovered our awesome neighbors had already shoveled out our driveway for us!  I immediately baked chocolate chip cookies and brought to both neighbors.

We have recently moved but I was talking to one of those neighbors on the phone the other day -- she's expecting and her husband is away for work -- they got a bunch of snow and the people who bought our house shoveled out her driveway for her.  Great neighborhood!