Author Topic: Used it with a comment about my parenting.  (Read 10759 times)

Micah

Used it with a comment about my parenting.
« on: January 28, 2011, 07:42:10 AM »
BG: I'm part of the executive committee of my local pony club. There is a general committee member that we have had a fair few issues with in the past, I'll call her D. She is extremely opinionated and can be very, very negative depending on her mood on the day. She actually left the club for good for a few years. When she rejoined we allowed her to be a member of the general committee again because at first glance she appeared to have changed her ways a little and we have a policy that our club is open to everyone. It's just part of what makes us awesome :P :End BG

We had a committee meeting at our club rooms the other day to prepare for our camp which is next week. D attended and it was immediately clear that she hadn't changed one bit. Right from the outset she was negative and rude. Everything we were planning was either stupid, not necessary or too costly. The clincher, however, was when the meeting was finished and we were packing up. I'd brought my son along to the meeting (I often do this, no one else minds). He'd gotten a little bored during the meeting and had gone into the kitchen and brought out all the egg rings, which he had arranged on the floor and played with. When I started picking the rings up, D marched over. The conversation went like this:
D: "Don't you dare pick them up! He brought them out, he needs to put them back!"
Me: "He's three, he has the attention span of a flea. I just want to get home, it's no big deal if I do it."
D: "You and I are going to have a talk about that kid. You're a lot harder on your horses than you are him!"

I stood up very slowly from picking up the rings and stared at her, completely blank faced. After nearly a minute or so, she muttered something and moved away. I kept picking up the rings  8)

Seriously though I have no idea what prompted the comment. She's barely seen my son before.  When she has seen him he's never been rude, or badly behaved  ??? And I'm not hard on my horses either.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Ms_Shell

Re: Used it with a comment about my parenting.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 07:48:01 AM »
D: "Don't you dare pick them up! He brought them out, he needs to put them back!"
Me: "He's three, he has the attention span of a flea. I just want to get home, it's no big deal if I do it."
D: "You and I are going to have a talk about that kid. You're a lot harder on your horses than you are him!"

Wow.  Usually I follow the "it takes a village to raise a child" mindset, but the bolded takes some big brass ones to actually say.  I think I would have done the same thing as you.   
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »
i think you did very well against a rude bully.  yes its good to get kids to put things away themself   but a three year old can be mighty mighty slow when you just want to get things done.

is there anyway to get this woman off the committee?  she has nothign to add yet puts everything and everyone down.  not on in my book.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:40:45 AM »
He's 3, if I were there,I would have been tickled that he had the maturity to find something to do by himself instead of repeating mom over and over, or crying because he was bored.

I might have said, "hey bud, help me pick up," but I certainly wouldn't have done what she did.

Wow, just wow.

Minmom3

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »
Can we assume that your look was the Icy Glare of Death?  Because it sure sounds like it must have been to penetrate her hide.......  Good job!   8)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Micah

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »
is there anyway to get this woman off the committee?  she has nothign to add yet puts everything and everyone down.  not on in my book.

Not really, or at least  not until the end of the financial year and the next committee nominations. According to our constitution someone has to do something fairly heinous to be removed from the committee or the club. The only time it's happened in our ten year history is when we discovered one of our members was abusing her animals. (We banded together as a club and got her convicted. She has a lifelong ban on ever being a member again).

He's 3, if I were there,I would have been tickled that he had the maturity to find something to do by himself instead of repeating mom over and over, or crying because he was bored.

I might have said, "hey bud, help me pick up," but I certainly wouldn't have done what she did.

Wow, just wow.

He is very good at finding things to do by himself. He has an amzing imagination for a three year old. The other day he wanted me to attach a spatula to his head so he could be a Dalek.

I'm going to do my best to completely ignore D at the camp (which my son will also be at for most of the days). I won't be rude of course, but I'll politely find a reason to be elsewhere.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »

Wow.  Usually I follow the "it takes a village to raise a child" mindset, but the bolded takes some big brass ones to actually say.  I think I would have done the same thing as you.   

For me it would have been the “We need to have a talk about this…” Do what now? I don’t think so. Silence was an awesome answer. I dread to think what might have come out of my mouth.

...and that is cool that your group allows everyone. Where i live Pony Club is pretty rare; we see a lot more 4-H. The ones i ran into were quite snooty (although, so were some of our 4-Hers to be fair).
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Kaymyth

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
is there anyway to get this woman off the committee?  she has nothign to add yet puts everything and everyone down.  not on in my book.

Not really, or at least  not until the end of the financial year and the next committee nominations. According to our constitution someone has to do something fairly heinous to be removed from the committee or the club. The only time it's happened in our ten year history is when we discovered one of our members was abusing her animals. (We banded together as a club and got her convicted. She has a lifelong ban on ever being a member again).

Wow, just wow.

He is very good at finding things to do by himself. He has an amzing imagination for a three year old. The other day he wanted me to attach a spatula to his head so he could be a Dalek.

I'm going to do my best to completely ignore D at the camp (which my son will also be at for most of the days). I won't be rude of course, but I'll politely find a reason to be elsewhere.

Your son is awesome.

Micah

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »
is there anyway to get this woman off the committee?  she has nothign to add yet puts everything and everyone down.  not on in my book.

Not really, or at least  not until the end of the financial year and the next committee nominations. According to our constitution someone has to do something fairly heinous to be removed from the committee or the club. The only time it's happened in our ten year history is when we discovered one of our members was abusing her animals. (We banded together as a club and got her convicted. She has a lifelong ban on ever being a member again).

Wow, just wow.

Your son is awesome.

Thanks  ;D We think so too. It's actually quite hard to attach a spatula to someone's head. I ended up using an old headband and some duct tape.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:15:21 PM »

Not really, or at least  not until the end of the financial year and the next committee nominations. According to our constitution someone has to do something fairly heinous to be removed from the committee or the club. The only time it's happened in our ten year history is when we discovered one of our members was abusing her animals. (We banded together as a club and got her convicted. She has a lifelong ban on ever being a member again).

Wow, just wow.

Your son is awesome.

Thanks  ;D We think so too. It's actually quite hard to attach a spatula to someone's head. I ended up using an old headband and some duct tape.

lol   now im stuck with the image of a 3 year old with a spatula on his head walking up to D and saying  "exteminate"  in a dalek voice

;D

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »
seee and you are the cool mom that makes the thing with the spatula on it so the child can play dalek

ignore this person
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Micah

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »
http://www4.snapfish.com.au/snapfishau/slideshow/AlbumID=3260374018/PictureID=119235156018/a=4614443018_4614443018/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/

Couldn't resist  ;D The whole thing was a bit wonky by the time I took this. He'd been running around in it for a while.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:51:34 PM »
http://www4.snapfish.com.au/snapfishau/slideshow/AlbumID=3260374018/PictureID=119235156018/a=4614443018_4614443018/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/

Couldn't resist  ;D The whole thing was a bit wonky by the time I took this. He'd been running around in it for a while.

brilliant !!!!!!

(and soooo cute)

irish1

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »
'You and I are going to have to have a talk about that kid' ????!!!?!??!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but does she have ANYTHING TO DO with 'that kid'??

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
I think you showed astounding self-control.  Had it been me, I don't think I would have reacted as calmly as you did.  Very awesome!!!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!