Author Topic: Questioning details and discrepancies  (Read 12614 times)

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
Re: Questioning details and discrepancies
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
Dangermouth, we're not going to agree that there's no effect, tangible or otherwise, to badmouthing a business online unless we have a panel of economists and statisticians with data create a tool for measurement and a pile of research. 

Either way, we're absolutely not going to agree that lying about a business by name is ethical or polite regardless of the effect.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »
Dangermouth, we're not going to agree that there's no effect, tangible or otherwise, to badmouthing a business online unless we have a panel of economists and statisticians with data create a tool for measurement and a pile of research. 

Either way, we're absolutely not going to agree that lying about a business by name is ethical or polite regardless of the effect.

OK :)

(it seems odd, since we agree in most other discussions here, but I can accept a discrepancy. And I do note that you managed to say that I was OK with lying)

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »

(it seems odd, since we agree in most other discussions here, but I can accept a discrepancy. And I do note that you managed to say that I was OK with lying)
I'm not sure how else to interpret the stance you're taking. ???

I thought it was clear in my posts that I've got no problem with honest business reviews or complaints.  And I've got little to no problem with made up stories. 

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »

I thought it was clear in my posts that I've got no problem with honest business reviews or complaints.  And I've got little to no problem with made up stories. 

Er, so what's the issue when the two collide?

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »

Er, so what's the issue when the two collide?
When businesses are named in a fabricated story.
ie; lying about a business by name

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
In addition: We have no actual idea of any OP has actually lied in any post here. We heard about one story that took place in a Waffle House, we heard of another that took place in an IHOP. No one knows if that was the same poster. I'm absolutely not seeing that my position of "who cares?" is actually of any importance.  

Deleted much of the post due to its political nature. You know better, DM.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:02:50 PM by cass2591 »

Jan74

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
Saying "Waffle House" is not the same as saying "The Waffle House on Main Street in Springfield", anyway.

evely28

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Saying "Waffle House" is not the same as saying "The Waffle House on Main Street in Springfield", anyway.

Whether it's pinpointing an individual location is beside the point. It's still maligning a business. I don't think we should continue to use the actual name, but use something general like company y. :)

Jan74

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »

Whether it's pinpointing an individual location is beside the point. It's still maligning a business. I don't think we should continue to use the actual name, but use something general like company y. :)

It is on the OP to not use the actual name, though, if the name is not the actual name of the place where it happened.

If it is the name of the place where it happened, she is not rude or maligning anyone for reporting a negative experience. Reviews can't all be positive.

And I don't think it is on us to start treating every single poster here like they are lying unless they prove otherwise. So if they say "Waffle House", I'll believe it is Waffle House, and will use that word, because my using it or not has no bearing on the initial post about the negative experience.

But yes, if you're calling out a business that is not even the actual one where you had a terrible experience, that is maligning it. If it is the real name of it, I don't consider it maligning, I consider that holding it accountable.

ETA a word I forgot.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:25:59 AM by Jan74 »

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »
In addition: We have no actual idea of any OP has actually lied in any post here. We heard about one story that took place in a Waffle House, we heard of another that took place in an IHOP. No one knows if that was the same poster. I'm absolutely not seeing that my position of "who cares?" is actually of any importance.  

I don't know what the last line means.  I've held the same position throughout this thread.
I'm not going to re-iterate it because I know that drives everyone crazy.  However, I will point out the below, lest anyone misunderstand and think I've suggested any specific person has lied about something:

Interesting.  I don't want to discuss the recent thread specifically because I have no clear understanding of what happened or why.  So please know I am speaking in general about a case of someone fabricating a story about a business or person and naming names.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:05:55 PM by Hanna »

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »

Deleted much of the post due to its political nature. You know better, DM.

Whoops. I apologize. (in fact, I don't even remember what the rest of thta post was about :-[)