Author Topic: Tiffany outs Jonathan  (Read 3371 times)

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
Tiffany outs Jonathan
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:53:45 AM »
Apparently '80's pop star Tiffany was on Bravo's Watch What Happens Live and was asked about her relationship with New Kids on the Block member Jonathan Knight (Disclaimer: he was my favorite).  She responded, then said something like, "And then he went gay."  (Edited: I looked it up and what she said was "He became gay later."  She was laughing while she said it, so I didn't understand perfectly.)

The problem?  Jonathan has never come out publicly, though there has been speculation.  Tiffany didn't realize this and later tweeted an apology, saying she hadn't realized that Jonathan hadn't come out.

Jonathan tweeted back very graciously that it was no problem and he found it funny.  (Did I mention he was my favorite?)

I know there has been some disagreement on the board as to whether or not Twitter is an appropriate venue for apologies, but I thought this was handled pretty well.  As opposed to some other recent unauthorized "outings," this one seems to have been a genuine misunderstanding and was handled well by both parties.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:48:35 PM by Deb1000Faces »

immadz

Re: Tiffany outs Jonathan
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
You know more than the actual outcome of the outing, which I agree was handled well by both parties, I feel distaste for the use of "went gay" like it was a destination of some kind.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »
To be fair, I only heard it briefly. I'm not sure if she said "went" or "was" or something else.

gollymolly2

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
I think Twitter is an okay venue for something like this - where the faux pas was very public, so a private apology would end things between the two parties but the public wouldn't have closure so might continue to go on and on about it.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
I'm a big believer in 'the apology should have the same exposure as the offense'.

So if the offense was on Facebook, the apology should be too. If the offense was on national television, the apology should have the same coverage. Airtime being a little harder to arrange than a FB apology, I think a tweet covering his fans (not just hers) was probably adequate.

Saro

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
I loved Jonathan too. I had myself a crush as only a 9 year old could. I'm glad it didn't blow up.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »
Knight gave an interview in which he explained that he had no problem with Tiffany's statement because he came out to his friends and family almost 20 years ago. He stated that he never hid his sexuality, but never felt the need to proclaim it publicly. Knowing that, I really don't think Tiffany did anything wrong and I think her apology was perfectly adequate. It's only when we stop thinking that people need to publicly state their sexuality that it'll stop being a big deal.

Wherever you go.... there you are.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
I'm a big believer in 'the apology should have the same exposure as the offense'.

So if the offense was on Facebook, the apology should be too. If the offense was on national television, the apology should have the same coverage. Airtime being a little harder to arrange than a FB apology, I think a tweet covering his fans (not just hers) was probably adequate.

I like that.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Jan74

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »
Knight gave an interview in which he explained that he had no problem with Tiffany's statement because he came out to his friends and family almost 20 years ago. He stated that he never hid his sexuality, but never felt the need to proclaim it publicly. Knowing that, I really don't think Tiffany did anything wrong and I think her apology was perfectly adequate. It's only when we stop thinking that people need to publicly state their sexuality that it'll stop being a big deal.

Pod.

And OT: Jonathan Knight was the cutest NKOTB.  :P

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »

POD!

sheleo

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:57:11 PM »

I don't think this faux pas was that big a deal.  It sounds like they are likely still friends at some level and she may have thought it was common knowledge (I actually thought he came out a few years ago)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:32 PM »

Pod.

Clearly, you have horrible taste. It was Joey.  ;)

OT, but does anyone want to go to the NKOTBSB concert? Maybe I should find my Joey doll I used to have?

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »

YES!

OT, but does anyone want to go to the NKOTBSB concert? Maybe I should find my Joey doll I used to have?
And um, HECK yes! :P

I actually saw Jordan Knight about 12 years ago when he opened for NSYNC. It was pretty scary, if I remember correctly.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 04:44:48 AM »

Pod.

Of course it was!!  ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

Jan74

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »

Pod.

My student agreed!

I was a couple of years too old to be into NKOTB, but when I was 16 and 17, I tutored a 12-year-old that was their biggest fan. My job was to help her with homework, practice English with her (she'd lived in DC as a child, and her mom didn't want her to forget), but also just hang out if the homework was done. So we'd basically watch NKOTB videos and read articles about them and sing along for a lot of the time, hahah. I know all about the NKOTB thanks to that.