Author Topic: "Greeter" does not mean interrogator!  (Read 11576 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: "Greeter" does not mean interrogator!
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »
Awesome response, weeblewobble! I made a high-pitched "hnnnnngh!" noise reading that.  :o
"Set aphasia to stun!"

weeblewobble

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »
Thanks, I've been in martial arts training for the past year or so. And more than learning blocks, wrist holds, etc., I've learned that I have the absolute right to defend my personal space without apology. If I feel unsafe, I should do what I feel is appropriate to restore my feeling of safety. If that hurts the feelings of the person who made me feel unsafe, they should examine their actions, not mine.

lkb

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
At a competing chain to "Mart of Wal" (love that by the way!), we have one greeter who just annoys the living crud out of me. He goes out of his way to be cheerful (which is of course, probably why the company hired him), but every.single.thing. said to him sets him off in peals of laughter that could be heard throughout the very large store. (Think maniacal circus clown in a horror movie laughter.) I think someone could say, "my dog just died and my mother is about to," and he'd still give the maniacal laughter. Plus, he tries to get into a conversation with every one who comes in. A full blown conversation.

The local paper did an article about him and apparently he's had a lot go wrong in his life and this job is his way of staying positive. Okay. Fine. Touching story. I get it. Really I do. But, Mister, I just want to go in, get my items and go. Please, go bug someone else.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
Seeing the title of this thread repeatedly makes me think that a new word has been born:

"Interrogreeter" 

Jocelyn

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2014, 03:02:19 AM »
At least in my experience, the Walmart inspectors don't care about anything that's in a bag, it's the unbagged items they're looking for. The cashier marks, with a highlighter, any items that aren't bagged. Which are usually large, bulky items, and not necessarily valuable ones. So I don't really see how they could be detecting whether the cashiers are dishonest, as I could have all sorts of stuff in the bag that I didn't pay for, and they're just looking at the economy pack of toilet paper and the broom.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2014, 06:08:44 AM »
Seeing the title of this thread repeatedly makes me think that a new word has been born:

"Interrogreeter"

Grins.  THIS!
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

sandisadie

« Reply #81 on: Yesterday at 11:38:01 AM »
Does anyone realize that tons and tons of merchandize is stolen out of all kinds of stores every day!  I wouldn't stop shopping at a store just because I have to submit to having someone looking at my purchases.  Any way that merchants can stop theft will only make everyone's costs go down.

I think places like Walmart aren't doing enough to stop theft.  None of the Walmarts in my area look at receipts when you have bagged stuff as far as I know.  They do have greeters who seem more like observers then anything else.

I wouldn't allow the greeters to touch me but if I was asked to show my receipt I would be glad to because I know that I have paid for the items and can prove it.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 02:50:57 PM »
Does anyone realize that tons and tons of merchandize is stolen out of all kinds of stores every day!  I wouldn't stop shopping at a store just because I have to submit to having someone looking at my purchases.  Any way that merchants can stop theft will only make everyone's costs go down.

I think places like Walmart aren't doing enough to stop theft.  None of the Walmarts in my area look at receipts when you have bagged stuff as far as I know.  They do have greeters who seem more like observers then anything else.

I wouldn't allow the greeters to touch me but if I was asked to show my receipt I would be glad to because I know that I have paid for the items and can prove it.

I think most people realize that. We just don't think that being physically restrained by a stranger while they demand details about our plans for our legitimate purchases is going to reduce theft. If the store finds the information about what I'm going to do with my purchase actually valuable, they can pay me for it, in some way like offering a discount if I fill in a survey; that a stranger, individual or corporation, wants information doesn't produce an obligation for me to answer their questions.

Also, the store isn't looking for "any" way of reducing theft; they're looking for a way to do so that costs them the least. Instead of making people who have already paid wait in line again to prove that they've been honest, they could hire enough receipt-checkers that it didn't add minutes/customer to every visit. If I'm deciding where to shop, I'm likely to prefer spending a total of $X and being able to leave without a hassle, versus fifty cents or a dollar less per visit, but having to spend more time standing in line at the end of the trip when I'm in a hurry to do something else or my feet hurt. I understand why a company would rather inconvenience hundreds of customers for five minutes each than pay one more person minimum wage to check things efficiently; but that's reducing their costs, not mine, because my time might not be worth anything to Walmart, but it is worth something to me.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ChinaShepherdess

• “Never bet your money on another man's game.”
« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 04:18:04 PM »
I don't tolerate being touched against my will, by strangers or people I know. I don't think you have to be friendly or jokey about that expectation. When someone touches me without my consent and I want them to stop, I say: "Please don't touch me." If they keep doing it, I say, "Stop touching me or I will [scream/call the police/report you to your manager/whatever I'm willing to do and think is appropriate, given the circumstances.]" If they still won't stop, I disengage myself (by force if necessary) and make good on my promise. Bodies aren't public property!

Aquamarine

« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 04:46:33 PM »

You should not have to prove ownership of your personal property.  The second your receipt is printed that becomes your personal private property and it is on the store to prove the customer did something wrong, not for the customer to prove they did not.  Crime would go down and cost taxpayers less if we had random police searches of persons, handbags and vehicles, after all they should have nothing to hide.  It is the principal of the thing that will keep many of us from ever stopping to be checked at the door by anyone if we did not sign a membership agreement stating this was part of the deal.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

poundcake

« Reply #85 on: Today at 08:12:29 AM »
I had something similar come up when I was loading my groceries into my vehicle the other day. (I drive a four-door truck that's awesome for my family's needs.) A man in his sixties came up behind me and grabbed my wrist.  I do not like having my wrist grabbed by strangers. I twisted my wrist out of his hold and used my free hand to push him back a step, out of my space bubble, while saying in a very loud voice, "DO NOT TOUCH ME." 

He got all insulted and said, "I was just going to ask why trucks have four doors nowadays."

"Then you go to a truck dealership and ask the salespeople. Do not approach a woman you don't know in a parking lot and lay hands on her."

He called me several rude names and said again, he was just curious about why trucks need four doors.  I told him he needed to move along.  He called me more rude names and asked how my father would feel about me speaking to my "elder" that way. I said my dad would have more sense than to grab a woman his daughter's age in a parking lot and he would be proud of me for not tolerating it.

I do not feel bad about this interaction. I will not accept being touched by someone I do not know. I did not use foul language or excessive force. He owed me an apology, not the other way around.

Hair on my neck just stood up. I'm glad you made a huge and loud fuss. You know why ;)

Yeah, I had my shoulders up next to my ears. That's bordering on de Becker country.

Bordering? That's the state capitol! weeblewobble, you are an inspiration. Well done, you.