Author Topic: B list invite?  (Read 2790 times)

lakey

Re: B list invite?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »
I wouldn't consider this a B list invitation. It's more a matter of logistics. When you are trying to pick a date, the more people involved in the selection, the more impossible it is to settle on a date. It can be better to limit the number of people in on the selection.

lowspark

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 11:25:33 AM »
So I just did this exact same thing! I asked my sister if she wanted to do x activity with me this weekend. We settled on the day & time that we both could do it. Then I said, "should we invite anyone else?" And we agreed to invite our friend "Mary". I emailed Mary and said, "Sis & I are doing X, Saturday at 1, do you want to come?"

Mary wasn't B list. The activity is something I specifically wanted to do with my sister so it was important to pick a time that suited her. We thought about asking Mary along, not as a B list person, but because once we'd hashed out the details, we thought it would be fun to have a third person along.

Mary wasn't put off that we'd already picked a date and time. She was happy to be invited and since she's available, she's coming.

Girlie

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 04:27:02 PM »
Back in the day, we did this all the time. Still do, to some extent. Two or three of us pick a date and an activity and then extend the invitation outwards. Sometimes we get others, sometimes we don't. I'm in the camp of saying that as long as the negotiation isn't brought into account and the newest invitee isn't made to feel like an afterthought, you're all clear.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #18 on: Today at 12:53:35 PM »
And personally I sometimes like just being asked "Do you want to do X on date Y at time Z?"  It works or it doesn't work and I don't have to do all the work of matching schedules, calling around, etc.  The work's all done and all I need to do is figure out if I can/want to attend (and reply of course).

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: Today at 01:26:33 PM »
And personally I sometimes like just being asked "Do you want to do X on date Y at time Z?"  It works or it doesn't work and I don't have to do all the work of matching schedules, calling around, etc.  The work's all done and all I need to do is figure out if I can/want to attend (and reply of course).

This. I like a definite scenario to a nebulous one where I have to do a lot of the planning.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls