Author Topic: any one care to share their Baba Ganoush (sp?) recipes?  (Read 1608 times)

waterwren

any one care to share their Baba Ganoush (sp?) recipes?
« on: July 04, 2007, 02:06:48 AM »
 I'd love to get a handle on making this. I fell in love with it at a "local" place this weekend. :)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: any one care to share their Baba Ganoush (sp?) recipes?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »
yum i love baba ghanoush (have no idea how to spell it either!)

my recipes are pretty much 'little bit of this, little bit of that' so i hope it works for you:

2 med. eggplants, pricked in a few places with a fork, then wrapped in tin foil and either baked in the oven till soft, or grilled on a grill, or just "burnt" on the gas (turn over a few times). when its soft, let it slightly cool, then scoop out the flesh and mash in a bowl. make sure not to get any skin - it's not tasty.

add tahini: 2-3 tablespoons of tahini (sesame paste) mixed with water till creamy. add juice of half a lemon, salt, garlic. can add a pinch of hot paprika.

optional additions:
one chopped tomato
chopped parsely or coriander

another interesting option is to roast a sweet red pepper with the eggplants , peel, chop it togetther with the eggplant.

another option is to add oil and lemon juice instead of the tahini. if you choose this option, the parsley does make a difference.

serve with pita bread.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

waterwren

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:40:26 PM »
Thank you very much!

kkl123

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:59:54 PM »
Check the "meatless spreads" thread for my baba ganouj recipe.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 12:34:03 PM »
btw - there is a dish taht has become quite popular in israel in the last few years, which is kind of trendy baba ghanoush:

anyway, you roast the eggplants as above. when they are roasted, you cut them open into two halves (if they are small) or four quarters (if they are medium). put into a roasting pan, and pour the tahini over it and then return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes. serve hot as first course or part of mezze. you can add some chopped tomatoes to the eggplant, if you want.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »

And be conservative with the garlic - after it sits for a little while, the garlic becomes much more potent, and it's really easy to overdo it.