Author Topic: Need Help with Techies  (Read 3415 times)

kkl123

Re: Need Help with Techies
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »
Lots of luck with this... the only hope is that it's a small enough group of techs and they get to know you and remember you.  Our upstream ISP only has about half a dozen in the tech department, and they've gotten to know that if we call, something is indeed acting up. usually on their end, sometimes farther upstream from them.

Cutenoob

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »
Actually, one of the first things I ask about is a ticketing system, when I have an interview.

I WANT a way to track issues, read up on other people's fixes and find out who the "special snowflake" in the batch is :).

There are multiple FREE tracking systems out there, and there's no excuse to not use one.  If there are less than 100 users to care for...maybe a spreadsheet or Access DB.  But any more?  Get it going.

I really like one with a web user interface - the user types in the fields what's going on ...we could set it up required fields (name, desk location, phone, email) and then have the user type in the issue.  "my snogglebog is not working"

Many IT managers are so resistant to spending money, as an IT department is seen as a cash drain.  Although we FIX people, and doign that lets yalls work, accounting always sees IT as a drain.  So, the grunts would have to "sell" a tracking system. Even though it's FREE.
If nobody buys in..it won't work.  You need support from Top down. Sorry...I'll end my soapbox.

Jan74

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 09:05:47 AM »
As Cutenoob said, there are good free systems. And even if you have less than 100 users, if you have more than 1 request a week, it is worth implementing it.

We use a free, web-based one. All we had to do is install it in an HMTL page.