Author Topic: another "how much money to ask for" thread...  (Read 1906 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
another "how much money to ask for" thread...
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »
I currently do not live in the US and while I am working for a US-based international organization, my salary is definitely not a US-based salary (nor anywhere near).

I am now looking for a job in the US and some of them are asking for salary history and/or salary requirement.

I can guesstimate how much a job is worth in the US based on salary scales etc but would it make sense to say "I based my salary calculation on research, as my work experience has been outside the US. My requirement for this position is X$" (X being in the mid-high range of salaries). I also don't really want to post my salary history (my current salary, while it's a low but fairly average salary where i live, is low compared to waht i could  be earning in the US - around $20,000/year). can i get around that by saying "my current salary is in line with salaries in non profit org in [my country] but not applicable to positions in the US"?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: another "how much money to ask for" thread...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
I would give my salary in whatever monetary unit your country uses (Euros, lira, pesos, whatever) - that gets the point across that it's not directly comparable  :P

Jan74

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »
GlassCeiling.com is a good resource for real salary numbers, anonymously provided by people who work in specific companies/industries, not just what the HR releases as official info. So I'd check that.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:54:59 AM »
Also throw something about the cost of living in there....
In my previous position, I made X0,000 Euros which with cost of living adjustments would be equivelant to Y0,000 dollars in your city.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:19:59 AM »
thanks. urgh, job hunting on another continent isn't fun...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

wyliefool

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
I hate that question w/ the fiery heat of a thousand suns!!!!!

I always feel like I'm giving them an excuse to low-ball me. Just because I was underpaid in my last job doesn't mean i'm interested in remaining so for the rest of my life!!  >:(  >:(

And yes, it totally doesn't compute when you're relocating. Doesn't have to be between countries. Try looking for a job in NYC and using salary numbers from Scranton, for example. Biiiiiiiig difference.

auntmeegs

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
I would list your current salary as whatever it would be for the same job in the US. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
thanks. urgh, job hunting on another continent isn't fun...

FTR, I'm job hunting in the country I was born in and it's a b*tch!  :P

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »
I agree with the PP about listing your salary history it in the local currency; but I would avoid any comments about cost of living differences.  HR people have their own sources/calculator for cost of living that does not correlate to anything I've been able to find online.  I had a long battle with our HR department (in TN) about cost of living difference while trying to hire someone in California, you really don't want to open that door, because they will throw all sorts of intangible things that make the salary they offer higher than it really is (benefits, insurance, etc).

For salary requirements I avoid answering that one at all costs until I have a chance to sell my experience and skills.  If they require an answer I would usually say "I am looking for a salary commiserate with my experience and qualifications".

Your best bet is continue the direction you have been, research and understand what a reasonable salary for that position is in the geographic area you are looking in.  Be ready to negotiate and defend your salary requirements if they try to offer you a really low salary.  I would also research job titles at the companies you are contacting, my company has similar titles for people where one is a more senior role, but it is not intuitively obvious that the junior role is more junior.  They may offer you a more junior role, which has a lower salary range, even though you qualify for the more senior position.

Good luck on the job search.