Author Topic: I Mentioned Several Times, I Think I already said....  (Read 6932 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
I Mentioned Several Times, I Think I already said....
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
I sometimes find that posters get a bit snarky if someone misunderstands a post or has a tidbit of information wrong.  I see statements like, "I already said,", "I already mentioned", 'Again, I said that already", etc.

It sounds snarky to me.  Many read threads on their mobile device, sometimes I get interrupted reading and come back later.  Sometimes a thread is very long and it is impossible to remember who posted what or pertinent details. 

I think if someone gets a small detail wrong in a post, is slightly confused or repeats a suggestion, rather than using a condescending tone, wouldn't it be more proper on an etiquette site to politely correct rather than emphasizing the poster had a small tidbit of info wrong or mixed up by using a tone that sounds like they are rolling their eyes or sighing that it has already been mentioned?

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Re: I Mentioned Several Times, I Think I already said....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
I have a problem when something is stated in the OP and someone still gets it wrong. Please at least read the OP.

Spoder

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »
I've noticed this, too, and ITA with you.

It comes across as if the OP is saying, ‘Derrrr!  >:( Pay better attention to My Thread!‘.

Which is kind of rude, when people are taking the time to give you advice, IMO.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »
I think if it's been said once, it does come off as snarky. However, I've been involved with several threads where a poster has repeated themselves several times, and so I can see them being frustrated when they are still being misquoted or misunderstood.

Or, there are times when a poster seems like they are intentionally trying to put words into someone's mouth, and so I feel like that kind of tone is appropriate.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
I don't read any tone into it, nor does it bother me.  People miss things and it's an honest fact much of the time.  What should one say when someone appears to be completely misconstruing your posts?

Sometimes it feels like people are debating one another and not even reading what the other person said thoroughly.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:34:25 PM »
I have a problem when something is stated in the OP and someone still gets it wrong. Please at least read the OP.

That definitely goes without saying.  I'm thinking more on longer threads.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »
I think if it's been said once, it does come off as snarky. However, I've been involved with several threads where a poster has repeated themselves several times, and so I can see them being frustrated when they are still being misquoted or misunderstood.

Or, there are times when a poster seems like they are intentionally trying to put words into someone's mouth, and so I feel like that kind of tone is appropriate.

I actually don't mean in those cases where the thread gets a bit contentious and there are misquotes, misunderstandings or words put in mouths.  I'm talking when someone makes an honest mistake or genuinely misunderstood or didn't remember correctly.  

I think it is perfectly acceptable to say "I've stated several times that..." if it is an argument, misquote or intentional snark situation, but not when it is obvious it could be a simple mistake.  

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
I don't read any tone into it, nor does it bother me.  People miss things and it's an honest fact much of the time.  What should one say when someone appears to be completely misconstruing your posts?

Sometimes it feels like people are debating one another and not even reading what the other person said thoroughly.

That is my point.  People miss or forget things by honest mistake. 

Misconstruing, arguing or debating without listening/reading the other posters side is different and those are completely justified to state. 

It seems to me the honest mistakes, simple errors or slight misunderstandings receive these snarky replies when they are not warranted.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »
Oh, I see what you mean and I agree!

Bright

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
I think this might just be an example of tone not carrying across the internet. Are you certain that the posters intend to be snarky?

I had one internet 'friend'  tell me to punctuate every sentence with smilies because she was utterly determined to read everything that I wrote in the worst possible light otherwise.

I see those replies being informative, just letting people know that they've already mentioned it so you might want to skim back. Unless they are worded particularly nastily.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 01:26:37 AM »
Well, sparksals, as I've already said several times...

<Kidding! Kidding! I promise. ;D>

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »

I had one internet 'friend'  tell me to punctuate every sentence with smilies because she was utterly determined to read everything that I wrote in the worst possible light otherwise.

And I find excessive smilies to be tiresome...even within my own posts!

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:44:04 AM »
I have a tendency to misread things. I find this happens more when reading something on a screen more than on a page.

My eyes slide down the screen and I don't notice that I've skipped a word, a line or even a whole paragraph. My brain then fills in any gaps it perceives. Naturally the more text I've missed the more my brain is wildly guessing. I seem to "see" the whole paragraph but you can't get everything from just skimming the text without thinking about it. So sometimes I read a post totally wrong.

I don't have a reading disability except that I really have to cudgel my brain to read something thoroughlly. Happily, this is usually not a problem.

Anyway, since I often cause people to have to restate themselves, I don't really mind if someone says, "Like I said upthread, it was my cousin who was invited, not my aunt." Or whatever.

Where re-stating seems to cause problems and rising tempers in threads is when people re-state their opinion as if they are surprised that other people have not yet agreed with them. ;)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 02:02:29 AM »
I use that term or very similiar terms.
Often I use it when I want to restate something, but I have a different slant. I also use it when I stated my position at some point and then offered a subtle argument that someone takes as support for my oppisite position and I wish to point out that there is no point in convincing me, as I already agree. Or I use it when I want to mention that this is a continuation of previous point.

Most of the times I have observed it been used in a blatent way is when someone is misconstruing what someone else says.  I've seen someone misread the OP, respond and then people respond to the misinformation as though the OP said it and it takes a while for that to die down.

Anyhow, if the person has said that before, I don't see it as snarky. If they are not actually reading what others are saying and react as though anyone who disagrees has the same bad argument, I leave the thread because that is annoying.

Jan74

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
I've seen this issue especially in threads where the OP leaves a lot of info out, and all that info is provided in later posts.

People often only read the OP before replying. So if you are going to add important info later, I'd suggest editing the OP to reflect that. Reading 13 pages and remembering them all before posting is not a reasonable expectation.