Author Topic: I Mentioned Several Times, I Think I already said....  (Read 6922 times)

think2x

Re: I Mentioned Several Times, I Think I already said....
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
What I see quite a bit is an 'intensifying' of the OP's story, something like this:

OP:  The child was 6, but old enough to know better. The other guy actually growled. {rest of story}
12th poster:  But the kid was only, like, 5, so you can't judge him so harshly...
16th poster: Adults shouldn't snarl and take swings at others like that ...
18th: 3 year olds blah blah blah

etc etc-

Depending on whether the OP is still seeking relevant advice/opinions, this dynamic can get things off track. It is fairly frequent and I have often thought about doing one of those 'correction' posts, but haven't, figuring if the OP found it relevant, they'd say something- and it's otherwise not really my business.

Of course, if someone is misquoted and the misquote tends to falsely ascribe to that person ideas held up as ridiculous, and is apparently done with the intention or effect of garnering the support and agreement of others, I think it is worth a correction.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
I think this might just be an example of tone not carrying across the internet. Are you certain that the posters intend to be snarky?

I had one internet 'friend'  tell me to punctuate every sentence with smilies because she was utterly determined to read everything that I wrote in the worst possible light otherwise.

I see those replies being informative, just letting people know that they've already mentioned it so you might want to skim back. Unless they are worded particularly nastily.

That could be true, although I do find excessive use of smilies and winkies annoying. 

I'm not one to look for offense, so they may not mean to be snarky, but may not realize that it can come off as a bit condescending.  This happened to me in a thread discussing a TV Show, so it's not just contentious or serious threads.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
I'm not seeing needing to correct someone as any less annoying than actual correcting. I don't see that correcting a miapprehension is "snarky", but really, by the time it gets to be "several times", I'm thinking that a poster has the obligation to pay attention. There's certainly a point where even the most patient OP would get a bit testy.

And yeah, it is annoying when a poster has built their entire argument on wrong fact. It sounds so good, but it has nothing to do with the OP, so why are you wasting our time? It's one thing to call it an 'intellectual exercise' and quite another to offer it as real advice to the OP. I don't blame OP in that case to say "You've got it wrong".

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »
Again, I said already, (JK-lol), I seem to notice it when there is an innocent mistake or misunderstanding.  I think it is appropriate in long, saga threads where misquotes, misunderstandings etc., are more common.

smidget23

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »
I don't see it as being snarky. I know that I've noticed several threads (and not long ones) where posters have taken incorrect information from each other and continued the discussion in an entirely different direction because of the errors. I've also seen threads where the OP has stated that X, Y and Z happened and people have overlooked major problem X to focus only on Y and Z which were really lesser issues or background information. I see it as more the OP becoming frustrated because in some cases they've repeated the story or information several times and posters still insist that the OP is wrong about the situation/they should do something that's impossible for the situation/etc. It's times like that when I wonder if it truly is information being overlooked or if it's simply being deliberately ignored because a poster has decided that they're more knowledgeable than the OP about the situation.
Flair/Flare is very confusing. Even for authors.

Jan74

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »
What I see quite a bit is an 'intensifying' of the OP's story, something like this:

OP:  The child was 6, but old enough to know better. The other guy actually growled. {rest of story}
12th poster:  But the kid was only, like, 5, so you can't judge him so harshly...
16th poster: Adults shouldn't snarl and take swings at others like that ...
18th: 3 year olds blah blah blah

etc etc-

Depending on whether the OP is still seeking relevant advice/opinions, this dynamic can get things off track. It is fairly frequent and I have often thought about doing one of those 'correction' posts, but haven't, figuring if the OP found it relevant, they'd say something- and it's otherwise not really my business.

Of course, if someone is misquoted and the misquote tends to falsely ascribe to that person ideas held up as ridiculous, and is apparently done with the intention or effect of garnering the support and agreement of others, I think it is worth a correction.

But to use your example, I've also seen it like this:

OP: It was a small child.
Other Poster: This child must have been what? 3?
Yet Another Poster: You can't expect a 3 year old to know that!
OP, once, when other posters have said the number "3" around 10x by now: No, the child was around 7.
One More Poster: You're completely unreasonable to think a 3 year old would...
OP: I've said before, the child was 7!

In this case, it would be helpful if the OP were to add that bit about the kid being seven in the Original Post.

think2x

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »
^  Definitely!

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 01:39:17 PM »
And then amend the title to say that the OP was updated. I see the title was updated, I can go back to the OP and see what I might have missed the first time.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
or add the page number of the update to the thread title.  I prefer that so I don't have to go back to the OP to read the update.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
or add the page number of the update to the thread title.  I prefer that so I don't have to go back to the OP to read the update.

Yeah, sometimes (often) if info is added by the OP later in thread, it's easy to miss. And I do try to read the whole thread, but still...