Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Vegetarian Main Dishes??

(1/3) > >>

chamoisbear:
So, my wonderful mom who never asks for anything is turning 60 and my dad and I are throwing her a party (not a surprise).  Mom and I were going over the menu and decided on baked salmon and tri-tip roast for main courses.  After I went home that night I realized that one of my father's work partners that is invited (and his girlfriend) are vegetarian.  This is based on their religion, so I am pretty sure they aren't vegan.  All of the side dishes will be meat-free, but I don't want to just stick them with side-dishes as that would be rude.  We are having a pasta salad, so I would like to serve a meatless main dish that isn't pasta-based.  I did check out the vegetarian recipes in the recipe book folder and I am considering them, but I was wondering if anyone else had any that they would just love to pass along?  I found 2 quiche recipes and an enchilada recipe on allrecipes, but I would love any suggestions that you might have.  BTW, the party is on July 7th.

Lady Vavasour:
Are they Hindus? If so, they may not eat eggs.

You could try a chickpea curry. Recipes are pretty easy to find.

chamoisbear:
They are Seventh Day Adventist.  I should know some recipes since 1/2 (at least) of the town I live in are SDA, but I am one of the few that isn't one, and most of my SDA friends will eat certain meats.

Sapphi27:
I'm vegan so I'll share my favorite from the blogs that I've actually made and got rave reviews at potlucks.

Kale & Toor Dal
I used red lentils, and yes you do need to use that much water or more.  To make things quicker use a bag of fresh spinach.  De-veining and chopping kale takes awhile even if I personally think that Kale usually is worth it.
I add 1 shallot, 1 carrot, and 1/2 a red pepper with the mustard and cumin seeds in the beginning.
Needs to be served hot.  Cold it becomes starchy and dry.
Serve over rice.
(If black mustard seeds are hard to find, brown or yellow mustard seeds work just fine and makes it a little less spicy.)

Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches
These are so easy to make.  They sort of taste like a savory souffle.  I made a batch, and my omni mom ate half of them before they even cooled down.  May want to make 2 batches.

Polenta Lasagna with Portabellas and Kale
This is actually very easy to make.  Looks good and is very tasty.

My Quinoa Cake adaptation from the SDA Magical Loaf Studio
If you have a bulk bin near you, you can get just the right amount without overloading to your pantry.
I have found that cooking the grains, prepping and cooking the onions & carrots, and prepping the dry items and the mashing together takes about 1 hour to do.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 TB olive oil
One onion, diced
One large garlic clove, minced
One large carrot, peeled and grated
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans, partly mashed (1 can = 1 1/2 cups is usually enough)
1 cup cooked quinoa  (rinse dry quinoa 3 times then cook like rice (1:2).  Need to rinse to remove the bitterness. 1/2 cup of quinoa should surfice)
1/4 to 1/2 cup veggie broth, as needed
1 heaping TB flaxseed meal
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 TB nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp. salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350║. Spray a loaf pan or 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (an 8x8 pan makes a crisper loaf).  Or a muffin pan to make individual cakes/loafs.

Grind the sesame seeds into a coarse meal using a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.  (Do this with flaxseeds to make flaxseed meal.)

SautÚ any vegetables you've chosen in the olive oil until soft. Add to the large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding only as much liquid as needed to create a soft, moist loaf that holds together and is not runny (you may not need to add any liquid if the grains and protein are very moist). Add more binder/carbohydrate as needed if the loaf seems too wet.

Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate or platter and slice.

Baked Brown Rice adapted from Alton Brown
(This is not a full meal, but it makes things easier.  Saves room on the stove top for other cooking, and saves time for prep-ing other food.)

2 cups Brown Rice*
4 - 5 cups Mushroom Broth
2 tablespoon margarine

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the rice into a rectangular 9"-by-12" glass baking dish.
Pour in broth and add margarine.
Stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.
After 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork.

* One cup Basmati Brown Rice & one cup Wild & Wehani Rice makes a three colored rice which looks more appetizing than regular brown rice.

Roe:

--- Quote from: chamoisbear on June 25, 2007, 06:58:15 PM --- All of the side dishes will be meat-free, but I don't want to just stick them with side-dishes as that would be rude. 
--- End quote ---

Why is this rude?  From another thread in this section, I gathered that as long as you have one dish for a non meat eater, then all is well.  (and from what you've said...all of the sides are meat free so your guest will have plenty to choose from)

I can understand, as a hostess, wanting to provide more than one dish but again...so long as the vegetarian guest has at least one dish to eat from, then it's okay. 

Am I getting my wires crossed here?  Some threads aren't consistent so what's the final verdict here...what does etiquette dictate? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version