Author Topic: Weird Mail  (Read 5339 times)

Julep

Re: Weird Mail
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 08:35:52 PM »
My favorite was when, out of the blue, I started getting all sorts of mail that would have been of interest to nudists. The first one had an abbreviation like aanr. I opened it, it was a thick, legitimate looking piece of mail. Hmm, AANR stood for American association for nude recreation. A glossy four-page brochure depicted people in every stage of life playing tennis, basketball, shuffleboard, hiking through the woods, sitting at picnic tables, all nude. Some were wearing fanny packs.

After that I got mail for nude resorts, travel agencies, all sorts of stuff. I always figured someone signed me up for this mail as a prank, but the weird thing was I had just moved to a new state, and no one could have gotten my new new address that fast. But it was all addressed to me, by my familiar name.

I guess you could say it was enlightening. I loved it, got a laugh every time.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 09:20:14 PM »
My favorite was when, out of the blue, I started getting all sorts of mail that would have been of interest to nudists. The first one had an abbreviation like aanr. I opened it, it was a thick, legitimate looking piece of mail. Hmm, AANR stood for American association for nude recreation. A glossy four-page brochure depicted people in every stage of life playing tennis, basketball, shuffleboard, hiking through the woods, sitting at picnic tables, all nude. Some were wearing fanny packs.

After that I got mail for nude resorts, travel agencies, all sorts of stuff. I always figured someone signed me up for this mail as a prank, but the weird thing was I had just moved to a new state, and no one could have gotten my new new address that fast. But it was all addressed to me, by my familiar name.

I guess you could say it was enlightening. I loved it, got a laugh every time.

Just think of all the money you'd save on clothing! :D

Still, that sounds like someone signed you up as a joke.

Ponytail_Palm

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 01:01:27 PM »
I remembered another one: BF used to live in an off-campus student apartment. For a long time he got the mail from not the previous tenant, but one who had lived there before that. And almost all the mail was credit card bills. Or credit card offers. Or information about renewing credit cards. We wondered if this girl had moved and not informed people of her new address because she was trying to outrun a massive debt...

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »
We keep getting junk faxes made to look like internal memos, but they're travel bargains.  I can't enter the number into the "junk fax" blocker on the fax, as they don't give anything but "private number." 

We also get a magazine from some faith-healing evangelist I've never heard of, that's addressed to "Name or Current Resident."  Mr. Sirius looked him up on line, and it's definitely no one we would ever support.

faithlessone

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »
A couple of years ago I was living in a house with four friends. Soon after we moved in (no more than a week), my housemate "Chris" received a parcel in the post. It was addressed to him (same full name, our address), and it was full of chocolates, shaped like fish in brightly coloured foil. It had an invoice inside, with the name of this shop on eBay that he'd never heard of, let alone bought anything from. When we looked it up on eBay, it had a load of fishing supplies, but no food/gift type things.

He hadn't bid for them, hadn't ordered them, and the money for them (I think it was supposedly about 6) never got taken out of his account. We wondered for a while whether someone else had bought them for him as a joke (he loves fish), but we'd only just moved in, and no one fessed up.

Weird!!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »
Many, many years ago, I worked at the base library on a small American military base in Europe.  Let's call it "Marriot Lake Station", a name which it resembles only in that the first word might be a person's given name and there was a geographical feature involved.  As libraries are wont to do, we had magazine subscriptions, mailed from the US to "Marriot Lake Library, APO New York, 00123."  (APO designates a  military base address for the US Post Office.)

One of the magazines must have sold their customer list to Publisher's Clearing House, because we suddenly started to be inundated with their sweepstakes mailings, addressed to "Mr. Marriot Lake". 

"Dear Mr. Lake, you, yes, YOU could already have won a million dollars or one of our other fabulous prizes!  Imagine what the neighbors in Apo would think if you had a brand new Cadillac in your driveway!"

Imagine indeed -- imagine the arguments that might have arisen among the library workers about who got to drive "Mr. Lake's" new Caddy around the base that week!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »
I once got a catalogue that sold romance novels for Christian African-American women. Too bad (a) I don't read romance novels, (b) I'm not a Christian, and (c) if I were whiter I'd be invisible.  ::)

exitzero

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
A few years back I had a letter to the editor printed in the local paper.

Someone sent a rebuttal to my home...written on the back of a picture of the Pope.

My letter had nothing to do with religion, or the Pope or anything like that.

Just...wierd.

magicdomino

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »
My father passed away in 1966.  Every once in a while, he still gets a piece of junk mail.  

More amusing than weird, but I have a subscription to Progressive Farmer.  I have a contract for heating oil from a company whose primary business is selling farming supplies and fuel.  I guess their regular customers get a free subscription to the magazine.  The amusing part:  I live in an inner suburb.  There isn't so much as a chicken or cornfield for miles.  

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 09:34:24 AM »
This is pretty tame in comparison- more akin to a wrong number story by mail.
Well, when I was in high school , sometime between 1991 and 1995, we receive a piece of mail addressed to George Wilcox. It would have been bad enough had it been some random individual or private company- but it was an official government mail piece. I think it had to do with property taxes or the sort.

A few weeks ago, we received a piece of mail from the IRS (for thos outside of the US - Internal Revenue Service - the branch of the federal government to whom we pay our taxes. I opened it and realized it was not addressed to me. It was our address, but someone else's name. Printed right at the top was this gentleman's FULL SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. I panicked and shredded it immediately. After it was shredded I realized that I should have looked for a telephone number to call and tell the IRS about the mix up. I was so freaked out about having this man's SSN that I just wanted to get rid of it and forgot to think for a minute.

We just received another one yesterday, addressed to the same guy, and I wrote "return to sender, no such resident at this address" on it and popped it back in the mail. No way am I opening it to look for a phone number. We have owned our house for 3 years, and the previous owners (very close relatives of mine) were here for 30 years, so if this guy ever lived at this address it was at least 34 years ago. Never heard of him before, though.

lemons

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I used to work for a catalogue company that sold, among other things, shoes.  For some reason, the shoes brought out the weird in people.

1.  We had someone who would mail in their order (this was 2001, so not totally unheard of), but she either didn't know her shoe size or she labored under the delusion that we custom made shoes.  How did we figure that out?  She would send up two sheets of paper upon which she had traced each one of her feet.  Nice little feet outlines complete with toes on wrinkled paper. :)  Her included credit card information was never valid (or she didn't include a method of payment, I can't remember), so I'm not entirely certain what was done with her orders - I didn't work in the mailroom but had friends who would share their fun stories.

2.  We would get mail orders from the "Princess of the United States".  I wasn't aware that we had royalty here, but apparently we do.  Also, as the princess she was entitled to free items from any company in the US.  She would send us pages of order forms for pretty much all the shoes in the current catalogue.  She did, at least, know her shoe size and kindly included that on her order form.  Alas, since we didn't recognize the monarchy of the US and she didn't include a secondary method of payment, we were unable to fufill her (multiple) orders.  She was nice enough to send us a detailed letter each time explaining her position as "Princess" and why she should get free shoes.

That experience taught me that just because you're behind the phones or in the mailroom doesn't shield you from the wackaloons in retail.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
I got a letter from my ex at my place of work, after not having heard from him for 2 years . . .from prison.

But it really wasn't his fault, and he'd only been looking for his cousin, and these drug dealers said they could help him with contacts south of the border, and then the police broke in! But he wasn't carrying a weapon or any drugs or anything! Really!

He was lonely and wanting someone intelligent to communicate with and hoped I'd write back.

I didn't  ::)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »
I used to work for a catalogue company that sold, among other things, shoes.  For some reason, the shoes brought out the weird in people.

1.  We had someone who would mail in their order (this was 2001, so not totally unheard of), but she either didn't know her shoe size or she labored under the delusion that we custom made shoes.  How did we figure that out?  She would send up two sheets of paper upon which she had traced each one of her feet.  Nice little feet outlines complete with toes on wrinkled paper. :)  Her included credit card information was never valid (or she didn't include a method of payment, I can't remember), so I'm not entirely certain what was done with her orders - I didn't work in the mailroom but had friends who would share their fun stories.

2.  We would get mail orders from the "Princess of the United States".  I wasn't aware that we had royalty here, but apparently we do.  Also, as the princess she was entitled to free items from any company in the US.  She would send us pages of order forms for pretty much all the shoes in the current catalogue.  She did, at least, know her shoe size and kindly included that on her order form.  Alas, since we didn't recognize the monarchy of the US and she didn't include a secondary method of payment, we were unable to fufill her (multiple) orders.  She was nice enough to send us a detailed letter each time explaining her position as "Princess" and why she should get free shoes.

That experience taught me that just because you're behind the phones or in the mailroom doesn't shield you from the wackaloons in retail.

Paper Roses

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »
Several years ago, we got a small envelope in the mail.  It had been addressed, by hand, to our address - no name, just the address. 

Inside was a small piece of lined paper that had been torn from a larger piece.  It said, again in handwriting, "I am not a Christian."  Underneath that was a signature of one of our neighbors, along with his address.  (This guy was known to be seriously mentally ill.  He was probably around 45-50 at the time, and lived with his elderly parents.)

I didn't know what to make of it, but it did make me a little nervous, since I was home most of the day with small children.  So when my husband came home, he took the letter to the police station.

Turns out, it was the 3rd or 4th one of these that had been brought to them that day.  Apparently the whole street got them.

A little later, a police car pulled up in front of his house, and an officer got out and had a talk with the guy's mother.  We never got any more mail from him, and never found out why he felt the need to let everyone on the street know that particular fact.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 10:34:01 PM »
I am just 47 years old, and last week I got mail from the AARP!!