Author Topic: Weird Mail  (Read 5188 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird Mail
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
Inside was a small piece of lined paper that had been torn from a larger piece.  It said, again in handwriting, "I am not a Christian."  Underneath that was a signature of one of our neighbors, along with his address.  (This guy was known to be seriously mentally ill.  He was probably around 45-50 at the time, and lived with his elderly parents.)

I didn't know what to make of it, but it did make me a little nervous, since I was home most of the day with small children. 
:o  Take it from someone who is also not a Christian -- it would make ME rather nervous too!  Because to me, the subtext is "I don't have to turn the other cheek."  In other words "You have gotten on my bad side, and you WILL be sorry!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »
I am just 47 years old, and last week I got mail from the AARP!!

I'm 29 and have been getting mail from the AARP for the past 5 years or so.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 10:09:53 AM »
     My BF gets a catalog at his home addressed to Mr. HisFirstName MyLastName and Mrs. MyFirstName HisLast Name.

He also receives Victoria's Secret Promos for MyFirstName Joy HybridMylastName+HisLastName...

Where they got the Joy middle name is completely out of the blue... no one we know has that in their name... haha!  And the hybrid last name makes us laugh because it is much like the gossip magazines hybridizing of celebrity couple names... This strange name is now my alias and we use it when ordering pizza, hahaha.. we're dorks  :D Lovable dorks...
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Paper Roses

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 01:19:16 PM »
Inside was a small piece of lined paper that had been torn from a larger piece.  It said, again in handwriting, "I am not a Christian."  Underneath that was a signature of one of our neighbors, along with his address.  (This guy was known to be seriously mentally ill.  He was probably around 45-50 at the time, and lived with his elderly parents.)

I didn't know what to make of it, but it did make me a little nervous, since I was home most of the day with small children. 
:o  Take it from someone who is also not a Christian -- it would make ME rather nervous too!  Because to me, the subtext is "I don't have to turn the other cheek."  In other words "You have gotten on my bad side, and you WILL be sorry!"

Exactly!  It's one of those things that could be nothing, or could be very serious.  Besides that, at the time I had no idea the whole street had gotten them.  So in that light, it was pretty disconcerting.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Ereine

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
Some years ago my sister received a box in the mail from the US (to Finland), if I remember correctly it was rather large and mostly empty and contained a tin foil hat (and some other small things). Apparently DeviantArt had sent such boxes to people around the world to celebrate April Fool's Day or something.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »
Several years ago, we got a small envelope in the mail.  It had been addressed, by hand, to our address - no name, just the address. 

I didn't know what to make of it, but it did make me a little nervous, since I was home most of the day with small children.  So when my husband came home, he took the letter to the police station.

Turns out, it was the 3rd or 4th one of these that had been brought to them that day.  Apparently the whole street got them.

A little later, a police car pulled up in front of his house, and an officer got out and had a talk with the guy's mother.  We never got any more mail from him, and never found out why he felt the need to let everyone on the street know that particular fact.

Your own personal Post Secret? :D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »
At work, we once received, for no obvious reason, a press release from a writer (in no way related to our field). It invited us to "the lunch of my new book".

I wanted to fax back, "Are you planning on eating your words?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
At work, we once received, for no obvious reason, a press release from a writer (in no way related to our field). It invited us to "the lunch of my new book".

I wanted to fax back, "Are you planning on eating your words?"

He should be carefull, everyone knows there's no such thing as a free lunch :D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
It's not *that* weird... but do you remember those ads for a weight-loss program that would send out an ad that looked like it had been clipped from a newspaper, with a note on it from "J" that said you might need this?

Well, I just got an ad for a cable company that had a post-it note on it from "Robert" telling me I ought to try it.  Now, it probably doesn't violate any laws, because if you look at the other side of the ad, it shows a picture of a man talking about how much he loves this cable company, and he's named as "Robert, <local city, mystate>."  And the post-it is obviously computer-printed, not hand-written.  So it's not really deceptive, exactly, but it's just amusing how they seem to think that making it like an ad that angered a lot of people would be a good idea.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2011, 08:21:58 AM »
It's not *that* weird... but do you remember those ads for a weight-loss program that would send out an ad that looked like it had been clipped from a newspaper, with a note on it from "J" that said you might need this?

Yep, and I had some very hurt co-workers. Luckily someone else pointed out that this was a marketing scheme. But I remember one woman practically in tears that someone thought she was fat. 

scotcat

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 11:17:30 AM »
In my case it was not mail, but someone who rang my doorbell one Sunday afternoon, and said he had aranged to meet someone in my road, to discuss a car he had bought from him, and this person had promised to send it abroad for him, but the paperwork had not arrived, and the seller was not answering his phone. H showed me a text message which said meet me at, and then the name of my road, but there was no number. I told him he'd better go to the police station and rmaek a report, as it looked like a fiddle to me. I made an internet search, and it was a scam.

JoW

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »
Its time once again to break out the story of the Diabetic Cat and the Credit Card ---

My late cat, Boots was diabetic.  The vet had me inject him with Humulin, human insulin.  The insulin was purchased at a human phamacy.  The pharmacy had a rebate, send in proof you bought this insulin and you could get $20 back.  Naturally I sent in for it.  To get the rebate you had to include the name of the diabetic patient exactly as it appeared on the pharmacy records.  Boots MyLastName, Cat.  The pharmacy put "Cat" where "Jr" would go in a human name.

The mailing list was sold at least twice.  Boots received American Diabetes Association magazind free for a year.  And CitiBank sent him a pre-approved credit card application. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
And CitiBank sent him a pre-approved credit card application. 

Well, I hope you didn't let him fill it out.  You know, cats are notoriously terrible about running up HUGE credit card debt!!!!   ;D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011, 03:46:40 PM »
A friend on another forum told this story about her cat:

Cat had a UTI, a not uncommon problem in neutered males.  The vet wrote her a prescription for a human antibiotic.  She was filling it at her pharmacy and noticed that they were about to put a sticker on saying that you shouldn't take this medication if you are pregnant.  She stopped them, saying "Oh, that isn't necessary.  He's a male and he's neutered."

"He's WHAT?"

"He's a cat.  And he's been fixed."

But they did insist on putting on the label that said not to drive or operate machinery until you knew if the meds made you drowsy.

Hey, would you want a drowsy cat trying to drive?  ;)
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
If Toonces was the one who taught him, I don't think it would matter if he was drowsy. ;)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.